Have computer question?

NFriday

Hi- I am scheduled to do an online market research thing that I found through craigslist. They are going to pay me $100 for 50 minutes, and they are going to throw in a webcam too. The interview is supposed to take place on January 9. Today while I was working on a survey, I was asked if I heard anything and what I heard. I did not hear anything. I then did troubleshooting with my computer speakers, and nothing showed up. I then tried to unplug the speakers and then plug them back in. When I did that, nothing happened with one of the speakers, but a pop sound came out of the other speaker. I have a five year old Dell desktop that I picked up at Walmart for $300, and the speakers that I am using now came with the computer. I hate to pass up on the market research interview, but I will need working speakers if I want to do the interview I assume. Does anybody have any suggestions on any ways to get the speakers to work, or do I just need to buy a new pair of speakers? I get the no audio output device is installed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Nancy

but a pop sound came out of the other speaker.

Are you sure you are plugging into the speaker output and not the microphone output?

Have the speakers ever worked?

What do you see when you right click the speaker icon in the system tray? Is the volume up and not muted? Is there also a volume dial on the speakers themselves?

Does restarting the computer fix the problem?

Do you know how to get into the System Device settings to see what it says about the speakers?

Last resort (and if you know how) would be to uninstall the speaker driver and let Windows re-install it.

Hi- Thank you. I just logged off and back on again, and that did the trick. Now my speakers are working again. I did two different surveys today where they asked me what I heard, and I could not hear anything, and so of course I got disqualified from both surveys. I made $.50 on Mindfield today though. I've also got car problems, and I hope when I take my car in tomorrow, it will be something simple. On my transmission my drive function is blinking, and my check engine light is on, and the mechanic thinks they are related. He says there must be some computer code that needs to be cleared.

Hi- I have only had one other time since then when my speakers shut down, and I just logged off and back on again, and the speakers started working again. I have Windows 7 operating system, and I usually use firefox as my browser, but I have had all kinds of problems with Amazon when I am using firefox. I am looking up something on Amazon, and all of a sudden my picture disappears, and it tells me to click this button to get the picture back. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I've even tried erasing all my cookies, and that did not help. A few times I have switched to Chrome out of frustration when I am on Amazon. Thanks for all your advice.