Any cheaper internet plans?

NFriday

Hi- When I got the $205 prepaid visa for doing a market research PT, I was not happy that I could not get cash at the ATM. I got it Saturday morning, and I decided to go to the ATM to get some cash to use at the farmer's market. When I got there and inserted it in the ATM, it asked for my security code. Then I noticed that you can't use it at the ATM, and so I ended up not going to the farmer's market, but I only have $40 left on the card. I spent $25 on gas, and bought some groceries at two different grocery stores, and then paid my at&t bill which was overdue, and was $109 total for one month for landline and DSL internet. Some of it was a late fee, but it is still way too high. I just got a letter from at&t trying to get me to sign up for uverse. They finally made uverse phone and internet available in my building, but not cable yet. According to this letter I can save $20 a month on my internet if I sign up for uverse. I checked into this before, and I was told that if I switched to uverse, I would have to get a new modem and they would charge me something like $100 for instillation, and that is why I have not switched. Does anybody have any suggestions for cheaper internet. Most people here in the Chicago area either have at&t or Comcast, and I know if I sign up with either plan, I can get $19.95 a month internet for one year, and them it will double. Also there is a cheaper regular landline at&t plan available that at&t does not want you to know about, but if I switch to that, I am afraid that I won't get a discount on my internet then. ANybody got any suggestions, and no I do not want to get rid of my landline. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Nancy