What is the point of confirming "Robot"?

cricket

Please someone explain to me why we have to check that box off, or look at street signs to determine if we are a robot. How can anything but a real person be taking a survey? This is stupid and insulting and I just don't get it. If you do, please explain.

20 minutes ago, cricket said:

Please someone explain to me why we have to check that box off, or look at street signs to determine if we are a robot. How can anything but a real person be taking a survey? This is stupid and insulting and I just don't get it. If you do, please explain.

There are hackers that send bots around to do surveys instead of them doing it. I'm sure there are other reasons also but this is the one I know. It's like robo calls to your house trying to sell something you don't want. The robots call until someone answers then a human gets on the line giving their pitch.

Thanks paulgro but I don't understand. Do the hackers have the account...I imagine they do or else why would they bother if they don't want money from taking the survey? And what is a "bot"? How can a non-human take a survey? And what would this "bot" gain from doing someone else's survey? Can you explain this in more detail? This is all foreign stuff to me. Thanks :-) 

There is "roboform" software out there that allows someone to randomly fill form data.  People have build applications around this software which is then used to automatically fill out surveys.  So a user signs up for a panel, then uses the software to fill out surveys to do as many completes as possible.  This way they generate more income without doing the work.

The "I'm not a robot" captcha is to trap this roboform software.  There's no way for it to manually check a box.  As discussed in other threads on this forum.  If somehow the software gets past the captcha, there are question checks, e.g. "Please select the 3rd option below", that the companies put in to also catch roboform users.  These questions checks are also used to make sure we humans are paying attention too.

It's all about data quality and not paying cheaters.

• Like 3

Thanks for explaining. Some surveys have fill-in questions where we actually have to write things, sentences. A bot couldn't do that. This is all so crazy. What we have to go through at home with bot calls and jerks, having to block numbers and now this. It's a shame that there are so many unscrupulous people in this world :-(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cricket said:

Thanks for explaining. Some surveys have fill-in questions where we actually have to write things, sentences. A bot couldn't do that. This is all so crazy. What we have to go through at home with bot calls and jerks, having to block numbers and now this. It's a shame that there are so many unscrupulous people in this world :-(

No, a bot might not be able to write sentences BUT you'd be surprised (or not) how many regular lazy humans will just write gibberish like "aslfkjas;lfkjsa" as their response, or just randomly click a bunch of buttons without reading, and think they can get away with it so some of these things are to weed those people out too.  The more they do it, the more the rest of us have to suffer through more... and more... and more checks.  I get WHY it has to be done but it certainly doesn't make it any less annoying.

And sometimes I think it's more of a game for them, then to actually get the money.They could careless about those of us who legitimately take surveys to help .

• Like 1

I got caught in a Samplicio this past weekend, and it went from screen to screen with me having to choose the cars, street signs, and store fronts galore.  I gave up after the 5th screen.  I never did get to a survey question.

22 hours ago, footfree said:

And sometimes I think it's more of a game for them, then to actually get the money.They could careless about those of us who legitimately take surveys to help .

That's the world we live in. It's me...Me...ME!! People care about themselves and "proving" how smart they can be. When I first started doing surveys I did them part time because I was in the military and bored. I made some decent money. But that was nearly 20 years ago. Now due to data thieves and other factors the pay is low and seems to get lower every year.

Well this is certainly rich.  I logged into SurveyPolice a few minutes ago and opened a couple of threads in new tabs (what I always do - I was not posting or, until this happened, even planning on it right now) and all of a sudden a bunch of the pages had the following message on them:

Pardon Our Interruption...

As you were browsing forum.surveypolice.com something about your browser made us think you were a bot. There are a few reasons this might happen:

• You're a power user moving through this website with super-human speed.
  • You've disabled JavaScript in your web browser.
  • A third-party browser plugin, such as Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running. Additional information is available in this support article.

After completing the CAPTCHA below, you will immediately regain access to forum.surveypolice.com.

And then I had to complete a ridiculous CAPTCHA that involved clicking on arrows and positioning a dog in a ball upright.

1) Yes, it's a lot faster to breeze through the site when you're opening posts in new tabs.  I could see if I was POSTING at super-human speed there would be concern I was spamming up the forums but simply opening threads??

2 and 3) I use Windows, of course I'm going to disable JS and use NS.  That said, I was already allowing surveypolice.com in NS.

I normally use Firefox and constantly get these annoying robot questions which usually take multiple attempts to complete. A couple days ago I was taking surveys on a chromebook. I got the robot questions but surprisingly they all skipped the  request to check off the boxes and went directly to the survey. Strange.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:35 PM, NaomiNo said:

Well this is certainly rich.  I logged into SurveyPolice a few minutes ago and opened a couple of threads in new tabs (what I always do - I was not posting or, until this happened, even planning on it right now) and all of a sudden a bunch of the pages had the following message on them:

And then I had to complete a ridiculous CAPTCHA that involved clicking on arrows and positioning a dog in a ball upright.

1) Yes, it's a lot faster to breeze through the site when you're opening posts in new tabs.  I could see if I was POSTING at super-human speed there would be concern I was spamming up the forums but simply opening threads??

2 and 3) I use Windows, of course I'm going to disable JS and use NS.  That said, I was already allowing surveypolice.com in NS.

Been getting that a lot lately as well. I also often open several tabs in FF to view discussions. Not fond of it.