money

donbathe

14 hours ago, mikedorb said:

Other than getting a part time job or borrowing the money from a relative or friend I am not sure what other options he has. 

I have a friend who needed a quick $600 and started listing things for sale on a local Facebook rummage sale... once it started getting to furniture they'd just had stored and hadn't touched in years, she had more than that $600 in no time.  Books, CDs, kids clothing, unused furniture, jewelry....  hmm, I could totally benefit from doing this myself, come to think of it. The only thing I won't do is have anyone find out my address... so I'd take a friend with me and meet at the mall or something in daylight.  It would be harder with large items, but I'd figure it out.

Very creative and interesting idea but it may not work for him. First of all he has to have enough stuff he doesn't want or have any use for that somebody else might pay him some money for. And the second thing which would be a huge issue for me is dealing with large items like furniture.  

May be a good way to earn money if somebody is good with their hands but that is not for everybody. A job like that would not work for me. We don't know anything about his background and have no clue what kind of work he is capable of doing. Maybe for whatever reason he can't work a regular job and that is why he is so interested in doing online surveys.   

13 minutes ago, mikedorb said:

May be a good way to earn money if somebody is good with their hands but that is not for everybody. A job like that would not work for me. We don't know anything about his background and have no clue what kind of work he is capable of doing. Maybe for whatever reason he can't work a regular job and that is why he is so interested in doing online surveys.   

He didn't say he wasn't interested in handy work, it was just a suggestion.

On that site there's also data entry and other virtual jobs available, you just need to use the search bar. The handy work probably comes out on top as it's the most lucrative.

6 minutes ago, Tellwut said:

He didn't say he wasn't interested in handy work, it was just a suggestion.

On that site there's also data entry and other virtual jobs available, you just need to use the search bar. The handy work probably comes out on top as it's the most lucrative.

Handy work probably pays the most because it is more in demand because not everybody can do it. Hopefully we have helped him by coming up with ideas to earn some extra money and also giving him advice on how to deal with the doctor's office or hospital he owes money to. 

23 hours ago, mikedorb said:

Yes that is true. If they cash the check or money order it means they accepted your terms. I can't believe any doctor's office or hospital would turn down money no matter how small an amount it is. My roommate has been paying small amounts each month on a doctor's bill and they are accepting the payments by cashing her checks. He needs to be up front with them. Tell them he can't pay the bill but can pay a little each month. If they won't agree to that then tough luck and then let them do what they want to do. Nobody in their right mind would pay a doctor or hospital bill if it meant they couldn't buy food or risk having their utilities shut off. Yes they can report it to one of the credit bureaus but as you said he can try to fight it in order to not damage his credit rating. And if they turn it over to a collection agency which is something entirely different what makes them think he will pay anything to the collection agency? And he can't make any promises he knows he can't keep..But my guess is they will not turn  a $500 debt over to a collection agency.   I can't tell you how many times while working in collections I heard the line the check is in the mail. You can't dispute it because you don't know for sure but very often people say that to either the company or collection agency just to get them off their back for a little while. I can't really say he should get a part time job because we don't know his circumstances. Maybe he is on disability like I am which might make doing that very difficult if not impossible.  But trying to earn that much money doing surveys it might be possible but it will take some time.      

My mind wasnt working -I know the difference between a collection agency and the credit bureau -not that you could tell by how I wrote it LOL-So thanks for pointing that out-But anyways I would not pay a collection agency .Collection agencies buy those from the company who you owe the money to.Most (if not all)of that money the collectors keep.

I know I don't know his circumstances .I just said that because I thought he could earn that kinda money faster doing it that way .I mean waiting to have enough earnings in your account in order to cash out can take time in most cases.

I'm sure the guy who posted this is gone but I like having these conversations people really should learn their rights and how things work.No one should get ripped off by unscrupulous companies.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:39 AM, penangel said:

I have a friend who needed a quick $600 and started listing things for sale on a local Facebook rummage sale... once it started getting to furniture they'd just had stored and hadn't touched in years, she had more than that $600 in no time.  Books, CDs, kids clothing, unused furniture, jewelry....  hmm, I could totally benefit from doing this myself, come to think of it. The only thing I won't do is have anyone find out my address... so I'd take a friend with me and meet at the mall or something in daylight.  It would be harder with large items, but I'd figure it out.

Here in Texas they will let you go to the police station and meet up.I feel like that is a great place.What thief would do it there?