Paypal vs. Amazon gift card

Njsurveyman

I recently noticed several focus group invites lately have only been offering amazon gift cards instead of cash. What is the deal with Amazon? I prefer paypal any day over Amazon. I even decided to take an extended break from Tellwut since they still don't offer any paypal incentive. 

So just taking a poll here...which do all of you prefer...Amazon GC or Paypal cash?

3 minutes ago, Njsurveyman said:

I recently noticed several focus group invites lately have only been offering amazon gift cards instead of cash. What is the deal with Amazon? I prefer paypal any day over Amazon. I even decided to take an extended break from Tellwut since they still don't offer any paypal incentive. 

So just taking a poll here...which do all of you prefer...Amazon GC or Paypal cash?

I really like both sometimes if I can I choose Paypal but I also like Amazon because I will  use that for Christmas

I have no problems with Amazon, but I don't make $2,000 a year doing surveys.  If I did I might want paypal.  There are a whole lot of survey companies that don't offer paypal, and so I would be missing out.  I am going to try to collect enough Amazon GC to get Prime.  BTW-Amazon Prime is going up to $110 a year starting 5/11.  If I cashed out on al my surveys right now, I would have enough to get Amazon Prime, but then I would not have enough in my account to buy much.  I just spent $113 on Amazon last month.  I also used my Amazon GC a few years ago to purchase a stereo receiver and speakers.  

• Like 1

Give me Paypal I want to spend my money where I want to spend my money.Amazon doesn't always have the best prices .When I buy something I want to make sure I am getting the best deal I  can.I don't do Amazon Prime I just don't spend enough money per month there to warrant the cost.However any Agc I get I usually spend it on gifts for others.

• Like 1

The main reason I would sign up for Amazon Prime is because I don't have cable, and I can get tons of movies and shows on Prime for free.  I also shop at Whole Foods occasionally, and they are going to start offering deals in their stores only for people who have Prime.

• Like 3

I bought almost everything for mt daughter's dorm room from Amazon.  I do like Paypal though.  I like to have the option of choosing.

• Like 2

I find that I can put trade my Amazon g/c for paypal on Fb. I have a friend who shops weekly at Amazon and she's always happy to get the g/c at a smaller price. Like I'll offer a 25 amazon for 20-21 and she paypals me the money. As far as I know, I'm not doing anything wrong by doing so. I loathe Amazon after a couple of bad experiences but I do earn the g/c and this option has made me very happy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GammiWoo said:

I find that I can put trade my Amazon g/c for paypal on Fb. I have a friend who shops weekly at Amazon and she's always happy to get the g/c at a smaller price. Like I'll offer a 25 amazon for 20-21 and she paypals me the money. As far as I know, I'm not doing anything wrong by doing so. I loathe Amazon after a couple of bad experiences but I do earn the g/c and this option has made me very happy.

Well that is a unique way of doing it and pretty good for both of you.

I wouldn't know why it would be wrong to do that.  Glad you figured that out and that you both win with it.  I can always find something to buy on Amazon. 

I buy most of my CDs and books at Amazon because I can get them cheaper there. I know a lot of people don't buy CDs anymore.  They either burn their own illegally, or they just listen to their ipads.  I don't buy them, but you can get lots of books on kindle really cheap. I also get some ink for my Epson printer.  Colored ink you can usually get a good deal on, but you rarely can on black ink.  I also got a fair amount of kitchen stuff recently on Amazon.  This one stock pot I wanted to get though, they were out of, and then they got some in, but I was going to be out of town for five days, and so I did not want it delivered while I was gone, and then when I came back and was going to order it, they were almost out again, and they limited it to people who had Prime.  They then ran out of it again, and did not get it back in stock for over a month.  I finally ended up ordering a larger size pot instead.  I got tired of waiting.  

There are lots of people in my condo building who order from Amazon all the time, including a few mothers who order diapers.  Most of my clothes I purchase at rummage sales.  I purchase coats and shoes and underwear new though.  I am going to my favorite rummage sale on Thursday, which used to be the largest one in the country.  They have $200,000 in sales on a Thursday, and the church gives all the money to charity, and donates whatever is left over to the salvation army.  It is in a ritzy Northern suburb of Chicago.

Paypal, obviously. Cash is cash. You can buy things on Amazon with cash, but you can't buy things not on Amazon with Amazon credit (plus I already have a ton of Amazon credit, and keep getting more.) There's literally no upside to AGC cash over actual cash cash. Amazon is just the only other thing I'm willing to accept other than actual cash, given the wide array of things that you can buy with it (but you can't invest it.) 

Actually technically cash is even still better than AGC if you were planning on using it to buy something on Amazon, since you can buy something on Amazon with a credit card and get credit card points. Doesn't work if you're using Amazon cash. (I'll probably never have to buy anything with cash on Amazon ever again at this point, though. :D)

I prefer PayPal only because I can directly transfer it to my bank account and use it to pay bills or whatever else, there's no limit to how it can be used - it's just cash.  But NOT when companies take out a fee for sending it.  That (used to?) be against PayPal terms so I'm not sure how they get away with it, unless they changed it at some point over the years.

That said, Amazon is almost like cash to me because I do buy a lot on there so I really have no problem with getting Amazon since then it means I can keep my cash for other things and use the GCs to pay for boring household stuff like toothpaste, shampoo, cat food, etc;

Given my druthers, I much prefer paypal.  Then I can spend my money where I want, not where someone else wants me to.

And after I posted on this the other day, I found that my Paypal account had a $0 balance because my husband decided to pay his motor cycle insurance early and so now I have nothing.  So I am definitely going with Amazon.  And only Amazon.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 3:07 PM, Njsurveyman said:

My guess is not everyone has a PayPal account so they choose Amazon instead. Plus they likely get a discount from Amazon and they are also not paying fees to PayPal. I prefer PayPal but I'll take Amazon in small amounts as there is always something I need from there.