I need advice on taxes.

nikonikonerd

So yesterday I made $12.66 doing surveys on Survey Junkie, and I felt great because that may be less than 2 hours of minimum wage and it took me all day. Yet, in terms of affording something I want, that was a great start. Fast forward to today, I realized that if I keep up that earning, plus Swagbucks, then I will meet a requirement to pay taxes on that. Now I'm terrified to earn another cent. Apparently it can be taxed as a form of self-employment (even swagbuck gift cards) and that the threshold is only around 400-600 dollars before the government wants a chunk... Idk what to do. Can't handle a real job (I have severe OCD, anxiety, and depression) but this online stuff is so tricky...

I wouldn't worry about it. Having a good day on one site does not mean you'll continue to have the same luck. Plus, you only pay tax on each particular site-- if you hit the threshold. So if you make 400 with Survey Junkie and 300 with Swagbucks, you don't technically have to pay taxes. Each site has to hit 600, not combined with others, if that makes sense.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:18 PM, spider said:

Plus, you only pay tax on each particular site-- if you hit the threshold. So if you make 400 with Survey Junkie and 300 with Swagbucks, you don't technically have to pay taxes. Each site has to hit 600, not combined with others, if that makes sense.

That is extremely untrue. It's sort of quasi-true, in the sense that they will only report your earnings if you earned 600 from a single site, which makes it extremely tempting to not declare taxes from sites you earned less than that on, because it's unlikely anyone would ever catch you, unless you were audited for some other reason. But just because they aren't telling the feds about the income, doesn't mean you aren't still supposed to tell them yourself. 

By law you are required to report ALL earnings that are not classified as a "gift". Even if it is only $2.00. However, if you fail to report income less than $600 from a single source, chances are very slim the IRS would even know. Especially if you never supplied your SS number. So yes, you are supposed to report all income, but No, you most likely wont get in any trouble if it is less than $600.

Even if you are audited for some reason, there is no way the IRS would know how much money you made doing surveys unless you supplied the survey company with your SS number. Without having a SS number associated with income, IRS cannot track it.