Panels Announcing Tracking Cookies Acknowledgment

Gremory

Has anyone who belongs to more than 2 panels noticed here lately that there is some announcement from more and more panels about cookie tracking and asking panelists to acknowledge by clicking on an "okay" or "yes," as an affirmation of acknowledgment? I don't know if this has anything to do with loss of net neutrality (pleading a guess here, so pardon if this is a stupid possibility) or if panels are trying to track and make sure surveys don't get crossed between panels? My guess is the latter, any thoughts? 

In other words, for some time now, as a member of several panels, I have come across some similar provided surveys, such as if you belong to a panel called "Survey Solutions USA." (I made this one up for this example) and you are routed to surveys provided by Survey monkey, SSI, YouGov., or Nielsen Surveys,  and you may see again these similar surveys provided by these panels routed to another panel that you belong to. I am curious if anyone has considered this, and do survey panels not know that panelists belong to other panels too? 

44 minutes ago, Gremory said:

I don't know if this has anything to do with loss of net neutrality

It has nothing to do with Net Neutrality and everything to do with the recent Facebook and Cambridge Analytica controversy. That forced websites who collect users information into updating their Privacy Policies to inform users exactly what they can and can not do with their information.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a lot of sites but some survey sites won't let you continue taking surveys unless you click yes. They don't let you opt out of anything. Everytime I click on a Mintvine invite it's at the top of the page.

3 hours ago, somelady said:

some survey sites won't let you continue taking surveys unless you click yes.

Not just survey sites but any site that does that is a good indication that they are sharing or even selling user information. I doubt they are using your name and address but they are collecting and then sharing/selling all users demographic and internet usage habits in aggregate. It makes sense for survey sites to do it because they have to use our information in order to offer surveys that fit our demographics and to keep us from seeing the same survey over and over.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ksedwar! It does sound like it has something to do with the Facebook controversy. I agree with you. And I too see it not just on survey sites anymore but other sites that I visit want everyone to acknowledge cookies. 

Most of the increase in announcements regarding privacy has to do with the new GDPR rules which came into effect on May 25, 2018, hence the increase in notifications at that time. Although they mostly serve to protect users in the EU, as most market research companies have panelists in the EU, around that time, they made changes to their websites and data collection methods across the board.

You can find out more about what GDPR is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation