Personal data (again!)

oldchap

Had another survey (from Nice Quest) - spent about 20 minutes then at the end it asked for my FULL name and FULL postal address, there was no way it would accept blanks so I had to complete to get reward.

I sent an e-mail complaining about this:-

Hi
Got an issue with a recent survey, it was a GTM survey, I spent a long time completing question then at the end I was asked for my FULL name and FULL postal address. It would not let me procede until I'd completed these. Haveing spent time I didn't want to lose the meagre reward but I am really concerned that the reward is conditional on giving this information! Why is it necessary - on all other surveys simply my postal (zip) code is adequate.

They replied

Your data is safe with Nicequest and will only be used to compile statistics. Your personal data is never linked to your answers, as your opinions are combined with those of other respondents and analysed together, whereas your personal data (name or email address) is kept by Nicequest and isn’t shared with any of our customers.
If there’s ever any question that you’d prefer not to answer or a topic that you feel uncomfortable with, please remember that you’re always free to leave any survey.

So I sent back

Thanks for your reply, whilst I’m sure my personal data isn’t shared with your customers – in this survey it was your customer asking (demanding?) the information. Why do they need my FULL name and FULL address? And I’m aware I can leave a survey, but as I’d spent a long time completing it if I left I would then forfeit my reward

Got response

Thank you for contacting me. We’re going to complete an in-depth review of this survey and send your comment to our customer. As always, all data is only used for statiscal and market research purposes. At Nicequest, we aim to ensure the quality of our surveys: comments like yours help us to improve every day. 

• Like 1

That is extremely annoying when surveys do this. Every once in a while they will have a check box where you can skip the question but unfortunately not all of them do that. And if only survey companies would actually READ and comprehend the emails we send the first time!

They usually send  out form letters, like most other large companies.  i close the survey if it wants name and address or I post a phony one..

40 minutes ago, ropar said:

They usually send  out form letters, like most other large companies.  i close the survey if it wants name and address or I post a phony one..

I also will not give my name,address or email.   Zip code should be enough unless it's for a product to test

• Like 1

Agreed. If it requires an address, I make something up in my zipcode. There is no way I would give that information for a meager survey reward. There is no way for us to be 100% sure that the information is not somehow attached to our answers regardless of what we're told.

They should notify you up front if they require it. Most times I just give initials and one number of my address and most times it goes through.

• 4 months later...