What Are Mock Trials?

Njsurveyman

I was recently offered and approved for an opportunity to participate in a Mock Jury Research project here in NJ. I believe it was through Fieldwork Research (a local focus group company). The only thing I know is that it is a long, 4 hour study (but with breaks for snacks and lunch) and is paying $175. Doesn't sound bad, but what did I get myself into? I never did this type of study before. Is this going to be based on a REAL TRIAL and will this research determine an actual jury decision? Or, is this just some fake, made up case just to see how people make decisions as a jury would? If anyone did this type of research study before, please feel free to share your experience. Not sure if I want to go through with this one or not. 

Sounds pretty interesting although I can't offer any advice.  On a side note, I have to report for real jury duty here in Memphis and I get $11 per day, woo hoo.

Hi- I did one of those probably five years ago, and once you do one that is it.  I get them fairly frequently, but they always ask if I have done one before, and when I tell them yes, I get disqualified.  The one I did I think we were there from 10:00-4:00, and they provided us with lunch, and we got paid $200.  One of the market research places I am signed up with in Chicago FPG, sent me an email recently about a social study, that took place from 10:00-6:00 and paid $225.  When they asked me if I had done a mock jury, I got DQ, and so I am sure that what it was.  In the mock jury, they just give everybody the facts of the case, and then as a group they decide if the person is guilty.  The thing is all filmed, and I think the defense lawyers order these, so they can see what the jury would be concerned about so they can change their plan.  Maybe call a different witness or what ever.  The persons fate does not rest in your hands.  It was an interesting way to spend six hours, and I would do it again, but like I said they want fresh blood each time, and so you will probably not be eligible for another one.

That's a really good rate. I've done 2. One was a person who was suing a company saying they caused his Mesothelioma. We had to listen to both sides and then later get into groups to discuss. The group part was taped. It probably paid around $175 but was at least 6 hours. The 2nd one was a family suing an apartment complex where their son was robbed and killed. They sued saying the complex should have had better lighting/security. This was a hard one. We stayed all together for this one and would give opinions/answer questions. I don't recall the pay but I'm sure it was similar. Both provided lunch. I hope you get something interesting! It will make the time and experience much better.

Ok. Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately I was cancelled for this study today. Oh well....maybe next time. It sounds like something I would have enjoyed though.

• 3 weeks later...