Do you ever wonder?

ktkat1949

Why survey companies look for people like 'Looking for senior oil executives'. Looking for people with over 500,000 to invest'

Do they honestly think that senior oil executives and the like or people who a spare half million want to spend their time answering questions about 

what personality traits a brand of car would have if it was a human? May be there are such people but if I had a spare half million I would be lying on a

beach in Hawaii not doing surveys. LOL What do you think?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I've wondered quite often. The thought that someone honestly meets such criteria and is willing to do a survey for the minimal amount offered is incredulous to me

• Like 2

I see that type of demographic all the time in the Opinion Inn ones that frequently come up in the Survey Savvy Partner Surveys. Many are so specific that the chances of someone accessing it are essentially zero. They are really just a waste of time for both the survey company and us.

• Like 1

Maybe this is theri way of weeding out the fake survey takers from the real ones.They know there is no one out there like that who would take a survey  so they try and trip them up .I mean really what person who makes really good money like that would spend time doing this?

• Like 2

Luls, yeah.

Now... I have, and make, decent money. Not crazy money, but decent enough. Enough that plenty of people would be wondering, why is this person bothering with this? And I'll tell you: because, while I have enough money to buy the "things" I might want, what I really want is the freedom to not have to work 40 hours a week every week, and that takes a lot of money, so the faster I can make said money, the better. When I have 500k to invest, which I don't, but at some point I will, that will still be my driving goal, and I will still want just as badly to continue making a bit of extra money doing beermoney stuff. (It takes a lot more than 500k to retire early without worry, at least in the US.)

But that said, I make decent money. There's a huge difference between what I make and what probably a lot of people who do beermoney type stuff make, but there's just as big a difference, if not an even bigger one probably, between what I make and what the average executive makes. And yes, immediately after I saw this post, I then went to mturk, and saw a HIT titled "Survey for High Tech Executives about business decision-making", which was exactly what it said on the tin: "if you are not an executive at a high tech company, please do not accept this HIT". Like executives at high tech companies would bother taking these surveys... or for that matter, have time to bother taking these surveys... luls. I'm curious how long that HIT will stick around for, and whether even a single person taking that HIT isn't just blatantly lying for the two bucks. (Probably not.)

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 3:07 PM, peach6 said:

If  I was rich I wouldn't be doing surveys I also would have better things to do.

Amen to that. lol

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Usually I see those surveys asking for ‘IT’ professionals, which usually make quite a bit of money as well. I always thought to myself, does anyone actually reply to these?

• Like 1

As you can imagine, business professionals (especially different kinds of decision makers within a business) are a highly sought-after audience. Hence, the cost per survey completion for business studies can easily be 5 or 10+ times higher than that for consumer studies. There are also panels that have quite an elaborate verification process when it comes to business professionals, i.e. they don't assume that you're a CEO of a company just because you said so in a poll; they actually make sure you are who you say you are. And these companies, naturally, charge even more per survey completion.

Now, the higher cost of business studies does not always translate to higher incentives for the respondents who take these surveys, especially when you're dealing with not-so-great survey companies. Sometimes you get into a router and without really knowing it, take participation in a business study, where you get $3 if you complete it, while the company operating the router gets $20 from their client. Whereas other survey companies will pay you a fair share of what they get, say $10-12.

• Like 1