Sign in to follow this  
schludermann

I'm Looking for the Word that means..

schludermann

I'm looking for a word within a professional survey or marketing parlance that describes an increasingly frequent behavior I'm experiencing with survey panels.

What is the word for the practice of rejecting and selecting surveys to support a specific outcome? 

There is a behavior to reject surveys that were completed with integrity and honesty and it is becoming more common.  I understand that there are trap questions, opened questions, consistency tests, straight liners, and much more. Since I read every question and respond accordingly. So, I know how to recognize the integrity tests that are part of contemporary surveys. However, I still have surveys rescinded after the fact. 

Have you ever heard a word or phrase that describes this type of conduct?

nj07208

If a survey is being rejected just because it doesn't fit with what the company is trying to portray then that is bias. It is a skewed survey. I'm sure there might be a better word for it though.

• Like 1

NevadaJones

Bias certainly is the right word I think. Also, I find on occasion questions are worded in such a way as to maybe "guide" you to answer a certain way. Usually I see this happen in political surveys or surveys about social issues. That's why whenever I see the results of these kind of surveys or polls mentioned in the media, I push my ignore button. Surveys and polls obviously can be manipulated in such a way as to fit whatever narrative is being promoted. I think those of us who do these surveys are more aware of this than the general public.

• Like 2

Applecrisp

I sometimes feel pressure to be complimentary about a product, I have been DQ'd when I did respond favorably. I think what are these people trying to get out of their survey. 

I have to say my favorite surveys are yougov because they are more fun, maybe there is a bias there. I know they do political polling.

schludermann

We definitely can see how survey questions can be structured to bias a specific type of answer. An easy way to do this is limit the selections that can be chosen for a question.

I'm talking about something even more egregious. The act of reviewing panelist responses after a survey closes and then rejecting the surveys that don't contribute to confirming a bias, this can occur days are weeks later.

Applecrisp

To me that is a "fix" like "The fix is in", ---common phrase that means the outcome of an event or process has been covertly manipulated to ensure a result that would otherwise be determined by chance or a fair test.

I remember it from an old Redford/Newman film called The Sting. 

Edited by Applecrisp
extra word