Do you lie to get out of a survey?

samp28

I know some lie and shouldn't , just so they qualify (I don't...Ever) but do you lie to get out of doing surveys of a certain type?

I've noticed in the last few months I started doing this when it comes to film surveys. Yes I could just close the window but in some cases it's better to not qualify....
Like with Global test market surveys on SB. Every day members can click that survey link 3 times, then it vanishes until the next day. If you don't qualify it tries to find you another survey. If you close the window, it counts as 1 of those 3 tries.

So film surveys....

If it says "Have you been to the Cinema in the last 6 months?", I say no even if I have. As film studies have been the worst for me. Often it's that UGAM platform which makes you watch movie trailers, gets you to answer questions and type in your favourite bits of the trailer. Then near the end DQ's you.

Or, there's a few doing the rounds on another platform that ask you to watch a 1 hour long episode of something. Then after, to "make sure you were paying attention" they ask a few multiple choice questions about the programme. Well these questions can be impossible, such as "What colour scarf was the man walking in the background wearing 15 minutes into the show?". Get one wrong and it's survey over.

Does anyone else try and get out of surveys or are there some types you try and avoid?

Here's how I see it. If you want to pay me 3 cents for a 50-minute survey, and not qualifying for the survey gives me just as much, if not more reward for my time, then I'm going to say I'm 11 years old, I make no money, I work in every job field, and so on and so forth till you let me back on the main site so I can find a survey that won't waste or insult my time. This level of cynicism in me is a response to the clear level of cynicism that a lot of more recent surveys (and some sites) have demonstrated. And yes, UGAMsolutions were very much one of the first survey types I adopted this outlook on (not that it matters with UGAM. Oftentimes those surveys will still accept answers for a good 10 minutes even if any other survey would've dq'd you by that point).

I understand that some surveys that are slogs are necessary for legitimate research and I usually do not adopt this mentality for them, especially if the subject matter is interesting and the survey interface is intuitive, but a lot of the surveys I'd deliberately test out on are phoned in to begin with and offer lower incentives for the time spent than if I just went outside for the same estimated time and looked on the ground for spare change. There is no way the majority of the obnoxiously long, deliberately generic surveys are doing anything to change the landscape for whatever "research" they're conducting. And I promise you from experience that 80% of those surveys will dq you anyway near completion even if you do answer honestly.

• Thanks 1

I do not, because that's how you get banned. I just cancel out, I'm not going to take the screenout pay unless I actually answered the survey. The only thing I'll fudge a little bit is, if it asks me whether I've taken surveys in the past month on certain topics, if I'm not sure whether I have, I'll say yes if I want to get screened out, and no if I don't. But I'm not going to lie about demographics, intentionally fail captchas, or say that I don't agree with the rules, because that's how you get banned. (I still don't take them, though, if I know they're going to suck. And yes, UGAM is one of the ones I will always ditch no matter what.)

The only time I "intentionally" lie on a survey is when it leaves me literally no choice, like it asks me what kind of car I drive, the car I drive isn't in their list, and there isn't a "none of the above" option. If it's one of the first questions asked, I'll just nope out; if it's near the end, I will lie because I have no choice. One time California was missing from a State dropdown! That one was fun.

• Like 1

People get banned by saying yes on surveys, being credited and it doesn't match their survey site profile (doesn't own car on survey site profile, yet completed a survey where they said they drive), or the false answers on the quality control checks.

I see what you mean though on sites that provide an incentive when that person doesn't qualify. Which yeah that is a very valid point I didn't think of (as sites I do it on don't give anything for not qualifying).

The only site I intentionally try and do it to get the DQ credit is on 1 site I won't mention in case eyes are watching, but the survey is Cint based.

As soon as that Cint logo comes up, I won't even peek at it (after their recent infamous mass account deletion for no reason antics), I will just keep pressing "skip to next survey" until it times out and I get my DQ credits, as I was a long standing member on Cint panels who never breached any term. By terminating my Cint panel accounts they cost me about £40. So I will continue doing this because I know it will be costing them money.

I never lie at all and I've had that as well where at the end my area isn't on the map and I've just closed the survey. Several times a bug in surveys has made it exit after 2 questions and credit me instead of DQ screen. I always get in touch with the panel and I'm happy to lose that credit.

On SB, it's simply bad scripting that is the problem.

I think what they meant to do is have it as each member can complete 3 GTM surveys a day through them. Yet clicking the survey counts as 1 time credited. If it's closed then it's classed as credited. If it's DQ'd then without leaving that window, it finds another survey.

Heh. If I get screened out of a survey and they still credit me as having completed it (which has also happened a couple times), I'm not going to rock the boat and tell them to take the money back. I just figure it's payback for all the times I've completed a survey and didn't get paid, which is a more frequent occurrence. :p 

Had a survey tonight that said it was part two of a survey, and it asked me about the ads I had watched in the first part of the survey yesterday. Huh? I may have done part one, but my memory is not that great, and I couldn't remember a thing about the first survey. I mean, it's not like it was the only survey I did yesterday. :lol:

I tried answering a few questions, but then finally just closed the survey out. I won't lie as I'm convinced the survey gods will smite me down if I do! :51_scream:

I try to be as honest as I can Don t lie to just get into a survey not worth it.

The one question that comes up quite often is what is your occupation and none of them pertain to me since I'm retired so if there is a choice that says other that is what I choose. not sure if that's lying

• Like 1

I do the same. I think that's okay. :91_thumbsup: The ones that I'm on the fence about are those that ask your position within an organization or the annual revenue of your organization. Sometimes there's an option for "I don't work" or such. Other times, no. Don't know how those surveys even pop up for me as I always indicate that I'm retired in all my profiles.

• Like 1

I do this too, I can usually spot the trigger question and answer accordingly and I also have a proactive strategy. Proactively, when the screening question comes up, asking what surveys or activities I've undertaken recently,  I select everything I don't want to do.  I.E. if the screening questions ask me about baby products, I have no kids, I answer yes I've done a survey on whatever baby products are presented. However, if I become enmeshed in a survey I detest, I look for the questions that are least relevant. i.e, if it's financials survey, I find the lowest value response, like I don't use banks.  

Another thing I do is to not screen out at the panel because the panel can save those responses and use it against you, like Swagbucks.

I instead screenout on the client side.

I dislike survey roulettes and if I am directed to a know roulette site without notice, I abort immediately.

I will intentionally screen out of a survey if I get dq points, but sometimes it's not worth it and I just close the survey or go back to the dashboard.  I never qualify for the movie surveys and just close them if the site doesn't give dq points.