Did anyone else do the deodorant study?

gothicnaturefreak

Back in February I got invited to do this study. Everything was fine for a while until a few weeks ago when I tried to access a new survey the links refused to show, and I couldn't fill out anymore weekly surveys. I left a message on their site indicating the problem, but no one replied, in fact I left a few messages and when I kept checking back they still showed as pending cause they weren't approved yet. But other members were leaving similar messages about it not working anymore. So I received an invite to do the study again through yoursurveys so I figured I'd try to check in, but it refuses to log me in now. I think by now the study was supposed to have ended because it was supposed to be for 6 weeks. I trusted to add a browser extension and all that but for some reason the code wouldn't work when trying to add it to the app. 

Long story short I'm wondering if I made a mistake by trusting this study because they were failing to address things when they should have been and I know I'm not the only one. I'm starting to wonder if I'm even going to get paid and if it's too late to cancel the tracking deal. I made a mistake by accessing sensitive information while it was going on and I'm hoping they didn't track that with how shady they've been the past few weeks. I thought of reporting them to the BBB but I don't think I have enough info to do that. Would cancelling the agreement now have them delete any data they've collected on me? I've only made ~$15 with this study and considering everything that might be worth sacrificing in case they were to misuse my sensitive info they possibly collected. 

This is the website for the extension study. Reading the terms it doesn't sound too bad since they supposedly only track info related to the research topic. https://mydatabankapp.com/help/

But I still don't like that they were refusing to address problems, answer certain questions, and I'm still questioning if I'll ever get payment now since I appear to be locked out from the study website. 

Edit: Well I sent customer service a message now on that website so we'll see what happens. . 

Edited by gothicnaturefreak
adding to the story

No, they're not going to cancel/delete any information they already have. It is what it is at this point. Unfortunately, getting burned on a survey is part of the game. In the reverse, I've been given products to test and never did the follow-up questions. Hopefully, you at least liked the deodorant!

On 3/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, nj07208 said:

Hopefully, you at least liked the deodorant!

You don't get deodorant they just track your shopping habits through a browser add-on and send you a few short $2 surveys each week.

21 hours ago, NevadaJones said:

Sounds like the deodorant study stinks.

Yea it stinks. I did it for 4 or 5 weeks and then they stopped letting me participate with no warning, explanation or payment. I think it was supposed to be $30 total so it's pretty annoying. 

22 hours ago, ksedwar said:

You don't get deodorant they just track your shopping habits through a browser add-on and send you a few short $2 surveys each week.

Yea it stinks. I did it for 4 or 5 weeks and then they stopped letting me participate with no warning, explanation or payment. I think it was supposed to be $30 total so it's pretty annoying. 

Oh, that's terrible. 

I have said this mamy times and cannot stress it enough. DO NOT EVER DOWNLOAD A TRACKING APP ON YOUR PHONE OR COMPUTER! Even if a reputable company was offering me $500, I would still refuse.  This is very dangerous and it is a very easy way for the company to track just about anything else you do on that device. Do you actually think they can only track your shopping and nothing else you do on your device such as banking, taxes, private emails, etc..? This is one of the main reasons why people get their important accounts hacked and worse! I would check all of your banking and important accounts to make sure they were not hacked. I dont want to worry anyone, but be careful!!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 2:07 PM, Njsurveyman said:

This is one of the main reasons why people get their important accounts hacked and worse

Not when the company is highly reputable and a big player raking in lots of cash. 

If this is the same sort of thing that I'm doing at the moment (But on a different subject), which I believe it is as I have that CB icon showing in chrome, then the company behind it is NEPA. A massive company who are 100% legit.

I've done several of these studies and apart from 1 which had technical errors (they fixed it in the end), it's always paid out fine and I had no problems with.

One of the main reasons people get their important accounts hacked and worse is when they add an unknown plugin designed to steal their personal data. Such as via "dodgy" websites or those fake email attachments from scammers. 

I for one 100% trust this study and survey host, as think about it. A huge worldwide company who has lots of clients commissioning studies with them allowing them to make millions a year in profit. If their apps started farming data participants didn't consent to, it would only be a matter of time before this is found out and they would be fined and put out of business.

By staying legit, they keep their profits rolling in.

SAMP, I respectfully disagree. Even reputable companies can have untrustworthy employees. In the past, I have seen folks on this forum complain about their computers acting up after installing a software tracker on their PCs from Neilson via Pinecone. In the recent past we have also seen hacks occur within Facebook and Target. Well known companies, however not exactly trustworthy in every circumstance. The decision to install tracker apps is ultimately yours, but not something I would take a chance with.

• Like 1