Freaky Surveys

Cliche01

I had a survey the other day that showed me a bunch of photos, wanting me to identify if the frame around them was red or yellow.  It then showed me a bunch more photos and wanted to know if I recalled seeing them in the initial bunch.  Finally it ended up asking me some odd stuff like do I compare myself to others or how many close friends, casual acquaintances and extended contacts I have.  I ended up feeling like I was taking some sort of psychology test rather than a survey.

In any case, curious if anyone else had encountered surveys along these lines or just ones you thought were strange in general?   

• Like 1

Almost all of the surveys I get from Prolific are "odd" in some way. But this is because they really are academic studies and not the usual surveys about fast food, banking, cell phones, cable TV, etc. Ugh! I get so sick of those. :-(

Often, the Prolific researchers will explain the purpose of the study once you've finished. But even if they don't, I always appreciate the studies as they are so different than the usual and usually pretty interesting. :91_thumbsup: Just wish I got more of them.

• Like 2

A mildly freaky one was one that started with a page asking 'What is your religion?' and the only option was 'Islam'.

I carried on to see what it was about and it appeared from the questions that it wanted to see how 'good' a muslim I was.

Not very, as it turned out.

• Haha 1

I had that color survey the other day.

What about the survey that asks if you know certain celebrities and even if you don't it asks: if you think they are  and how much, attractive, relatable, trustworthy, etc. just based on their photo. It also asks if you heard any scandals about them, if you would boycott them, do you think they should be fired.

I've had that survey several times.

• Like 1

I've had that celebrity one a few times also. Hate answering questions about people, products, services, etc. I know nothing about! :92_thumbsdown:

18 hours ago, somelady said:

I had that color survey the other day.

What about the survey that asks if you know certain celebrities and even if you don't it asks: if you think they are  and how much, attractive, relatable, trustworthy, etc. just based on their photo. It also asks if you heard any scandals about them, if you would boycott them, do you think they should be fired.

I've had that survey several times.

Yep, I've variations on that, and baffles me why the survey expects to have any opinion about someone you mention you've never heard of before.  Sure, I can rate if I find someone attractive just based on a picture, but beyond that how would I know if they are trustworthy, funny, successful and so forth? 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 5:26 PM, Cliche01 said:

Yep, I've variations on that, and baffles me why the survey expects to have any opinion about someone you mention you've never heard of before.  Sure, I can rate if I find someone attractive just based on a picture, but beyond that how would I know if they are trustworthy, funny, successful and so forth? 

I mostly put middle answers.

Occasionally I get the Eye Square ones where you are taken to a webpage and told to 'Browse as you normally would do' for 5 mins or so, and then it would ask me about ads I may not may not have seen.

Sometimes, though, it takes me to, for example, Facebook and told to browse, even though I do not have a Facebook account and told them so earlier! When this happens, I waste 5 minutes just typing stuff in the search bar, or leave my phone on the table while I do other stuff! (It's not like I can do anything about it!)

Anyone else get these? Sometimes I am just taken to the Eye Square webpage, or told to install the app.

• Like 1

I think I've had a few of these. But I never pay attention to any ads anywhere I'm browsing, even if it's a survey like this where I expect they'll ask me about the ads. Makes it a bit tough to answer the questions. :lol:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 3:23 AM, hwg3141 said:

Occasionally I get the Eye Square ones where you are taken to a webpage and told to 'Browse as you normally would do' for 5 mins or so, and then it would ask me about ads I may not may not have seen.

Sometimes, though, it takes me to, for example, Facebook and told to browse, even though I do not have a Facebook account and told them so earlier! When this happens, I waste 5 minutes just typing stuff in the search bar, or leave my phone on the table while I do other stuff! (It's not like I can do anything about it!)

Anyone else get these? Sometimes I am just taken to the Eye Square webpage, or told to install the app.

My favorite is when they tell you to browse the page just like you would if it were an actual web page.  I ignore it since I don't use facebook and just wait for the "continue" at the bottom.