swagbucks has taken over my computer!!

biggdonn101

I signed up for Swagbucks, and agreed to receive invitations to take surveys. That much is legit. However, now Swagbucks pop ups are on EVERY SCREEN I try to pull up, and when I click the x in the corner to delete them, they come up again within one minute. Swagbucks also appears in my favortites bar. I have been able to delete that for a given computer session, but if I turn the computer off at night and start it again the next morning, it will be back again. I cannot find a Swagbucks cookie under that name in cookies. I have tried deleting all history, still does no good. I did not download an app, nor does a Swagbucks app appear in my list of apps. HOW DO I GET RID OF Swagbucks??? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 9:01 PM, biggdonn101 said:

However, now Swagbucks pop ups are on EVERY SCREEN I try to pull up, and when I click the x in the corner to delete them, they come up again within one minute.

Swagbucks also appears in my favortites bar. I have been able to delete that for a given computer session, but if I turn the computer off at night and start it again the next morning, it will be back again. 

For the first one you can adjust your SB notifications in your SB profile. https://www.swagbucks.com/account/settings/notifications

For the second I am confused. I have never seen SB just randomly show up on my favorites bar. You might check your sync settings to see if you can figure out if that is why it keeps coming back. https://chrome.google.com/sync

In additionto what @ropar suggested you can run Malwarebytes AdwCleaner to make sure nothing else is found. It's free, fast and works well. Let it fix whatever it finds and restart the computer. It may find something that you trust and if so you can add it to the Exclusions list. If you exclude anything still let it restart the computer because it will also run a few basic repairs. You can see what repairs and include/exclude them by looking in the Settings > Application menu.

The html code for any page of their site is painful to read.  The best thing I ever did is stop going to their site.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So last night I had been trying to get a survey completed on Swagbucks.  I had been on their site for over an hour.  We have Apple TV and I was watching that the whole time.  We were watching Sling.  A commercial came up (they still have commercials) and it was for Swagbucks! What?!  I have NEVER seen that before. But there it was.  The hubs noticed it and asked me if that was one of my companies and said yes.  We just looked at each other because I had just told him that I wasn't getting any surveys completed.  He told me to be careful because someone was listening in.  I think he might be right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1