What's wrong with Edge?

Cliche01

What's the deal with surveys that start to load, then say they only work on Chrome, Firefox or Opera?  I use Microsoft Edge, which last time I checked was still a major player as far as software goes.  On the same theme, I wrote Point Club about a week ago because I can't access the rewards section of the site and was told to try another browser.  What the heck?  Why would the rest of the site work with the browser I use, but not the rewards area?  If you can't get your act together and have your site work flawlessly with every browser, why should I even bother with it?  (Yeah, I know, beech, beech, beech.  I used to walk to school uphill in the snow, and I liked it.).  

I also use Edge and see the same thing on a few surveys , always just after starting it with no way to switch to a supported browser. Annoying , since Edge is a major player.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, Cliche01 said:

I use Microsoft Edge, which last time I checked was still a major player as far as software goes.

Microsoft is killing Edge Browser and building Microsoft Edge. A new browser based on Chromium (the same technology that is used by Google Chrome browser). The new browser is pretty stable and can be downloaded here.

• Like 2

Replacing Edge with Edge? Maybe they should call it something different. :lol:

Original Edge has been sort of okay for me, although it does have some issues. One really annoying thing that started a few updates ago is that when I fill in text boxes in some survey formats (but not all), then click next, it takes forever for the page to advance. The more text, the longer it takes. And I can't move to any other window I may have open until the page does advance, although I can still get to private browsing or Hotmail/Outlook.

All this slows down my survey time, although I guess it does prevent me from "speeding." :91_thumbsup:

• Like 1

Can't say I've ever had issues with Edge other than accessing certain surveys that apparently only work on a particular browser, but guess some folks have based on what I've read here and the link ksedwar sent.  Maybe I should just join the club and go with Chrome or Firefox,  just seems a bit of a hassle. 

• Like 1

I do have Chrome installed on this laptop, and on my last laptop it was my preferred browser. But I only use it now when necessary as I'm in hate Google mode these days. :lol:

• Like 2

On 8/3/2019 at 10:56 AM, ksedwar said:

Microsoft is killing Edge Browser and building Microsoft Edge. A new browser based on Chromium (the same technology that is used by Google Chrome browser). The new browser is pretty stable and can be downloaded here.

Will this overwrite the original Edge or is this a full install of the new Edge and separate?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paulgro said:

Will this overwrite the original Edge or is this a full install of the new Edge and separate?

Based on what I can gather from the article , it will be a replacement for Edge. Whether they do a total replacement and move over all current settings or patch the current installation is up in the air. Hopefully , more info will be forthcoming. That article was from over 6 months ago. 

Time will tell.

BTW , the link to the DL is to download the "work in progress" version , not the final release.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, episemion said:

Based on what I can gather from the article , it will be a replacement for Edge. Whether they do a total replacement and move over all current settings or patch the current installation is up in the air. Hopefully , more info will be forthcoming. That article was from over 6 months ago. 

Time will tell.

BTW , the link to the DL is to download the "work in progress" version , not the final release.

I don't use Edge but curious to see how it will be in case I do decide to use it. I'll wait for the finished version and see what happens. Thanks for the reply. 

• Like 1

You can have more than one browser and sometimes just copy and paste the survey url in another browser if it doesn't work on the one you are using, or  log in in another browser to take the survey. 

I mainly use firefox but sometimes I have to paste the url in edge and take the survey there.

• Like 1

Edge is not even in the top 5 as far as world wide usage:

https://gs.statcounter.com/

Chrome is by far the most popular.  There are many web programming languages, and chrome probably does the

best job of rendering the contentcode.  Edge is a microsoft product, so it runs well on microsoft based web servers, but only 10% if the

web servers in the world are microsoft.  Most people run apache web server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The new Edge is now a available as a stable version. Download the new Microsoft Edge

Warning! When you install this it will remove/replace the default Edge browser. 

Edit: More info.

Automatic rollout and update roadmap for consumers  

If you’d prefer not to install Microsoft Edge manually, you can wait for it to be installed in a future update to Windows 10, following our measured roll-out approach over the next several months. We will start to migrate Windows 10 customers to the new Microsoft Edge in the coming weeks, starting with a subset of Windows Insiders in the Release Preview ring.

In other words they are now officially killing the original Edge. You will get the new Edge through a Windows update (Windows 10) sometime in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ksedwar said:

The new Edge is now a available as a stable version. Download the new Microsoft Edge

Warning! When you install this it will remove/replace the default Edge browser. 

Edit: More info.

In other words they are now officially killing the original Edge. You will get the new Edge through a Windows update (Windows 10) sometime in the coming weeks.

That was what I figured they would do. I can wait.