Protecting our information?

rosiesmom

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, feel free to move it. 

I was qualifying (Not!) for a survey and it was asking me health questions, they had told me they would protect all of that and not share, and of course, I didn't qualify.  Sooooo, within  couple of hours I started getting emails from unknown sites trying to sell me cures for the conditions I mentioned.  Not one condition, but 3 different ones.  So they aren't passing that info on?  Suddenly everyone in my house is healthy and perfect.  No issues.  No one's business. 

• Like 4

Woah, can't say I've experienced anything like that where I started actually getting sent odd e-mails, but I have had times I've taken surveys then felt like I started seeing online ads for the sort of products or services the survey was about.  May have been sheer coincidence or simply me noticing ads I wouldn't have otherwise noticed without taking the survey, but still makes one wonder. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rosiesmom said:

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, feel free to move it. 

I was qualifying (Not!) for a survey and it was asking me health questions, they had told me they would protect all of that and not share, and of course, I didn't qualify.  Sooooo, within  couple of hours I started getting emails from unknown sites trying to sell me cures for the conditions I mentioned.  Not one condition, but 3 different ones.  So they aren't passing that info on?  Suddenly everyone in my house is healthy and perfect.  No issues.  No one's business. 

I have seen that many times getting emails regarding car insurance and I know I did a survey on that

• Like 3

We are being spied on. I've just recently saw ads about things that were in surveys. And just a few minutes ago I unplugged my cable box from the tv and took the batteries out of the remote. I have been noticing ads for things that can bee seen in my home. Friday I bought some yellow watermelon for the first time. I ate it for a snack in front of the tv that day and again on Sat. A few minutes ago I saw an ad or story for yellow water melon. That confirmed it was coming from the tv. I scratch my head I get ads for scalp psoriasis. etc. 

The thing is I take surveys in firefox but all the ads are on edge and msn. I have my phone covered, my pc covered, my printer covered. right now I'm using an old analog monitor.   I got a new cable box  in Oct, the ads started after that, I use the same cable company for internet. I have an hd tv .All of this is not a coincidence. 

Not to mention the led street lights that have cameras and send ads for things they see on your house.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, somelady said:

We are being spied on. I've just recently saw ads about things that were in surveys. And just a few minutes ago I unplugged my cable box from the tv and took the batteries out of the remote. I have been noticing ads for things that can bee seen in my home. Friday I bought some yellow watermelon for the first time. I ate it for a snack in front of the tv that day and again on Sat. A few minutes ago I saw an ad or story for yellow water melon. That confirmed it was coming from the tv. I scratch my head I get ads for scalp psoriasis. etc. 

The thing is I take surveys in firefox but all the ads are on edge and msn. I have my phone covered, my pc covered, my printer covered. right now I'm using an old analog monitor.   I got a new cable box  in Oct, the ads started after that, I use the same cable company for internet. I have an hd tv .All of this is not a coincidence. 

Not to mention the led street lights that have cameras and send ads for things they see on your house.

What???  If I look something up on my phone, I start getting ads for it.  But my phone, computer, and tablet are all Apple products, so they are kind of married to one another.  Your story makes me cringe! I guess I should stop talking about people in control of the country, just in case someone is listening in. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, rosiesmom said:

What???  If I look something up on my phone, I start getting ads for it.  But my phone, computer, and tablet are all Apple products, so they are kind of married to one another.  Your story makes me cringe! I guess I should stop talking about people in control of the country, just in case someone is listening in. 

Yeah, I have to agree...sure, if you use a PC, phone, or whatever, chances are some company is going to track what you are looking up to some extent.  Amazon is terrible with this, there have been times I simply browsed something on their site without logging in, then went to check my e-mail and there's an ad in the sidebar for the very item I was browsing.  There's been stuff like the Facebook / Cambridge Analytica scandal.  But I kind of doubt anyone can see right through your TV, computer or phone screen, that starts being the stuff of dystopian sci-fi tales. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cliche01 said:

Yeah, I have to agree...sure, if you use a PC, phone, or whatever, chances are some company is going to track what you are looking up to some extent.  Amazon is terrible with this, there have been times I simply browsed something on their site without logging in, then went to check my e-mail and there's an ad in the sidebar for the very item I was browsing.  There's been stuff like the Facebook / Cambridge Analytica scandal.  But I kind of doubt anyone can see right through your TV, computer or phone screen, that starts being the stuff of dystopian sci-fi tales. 

What causes that is that the site viewed left a cookie on your system and the subsequent sites ad rotator visited checked for cookies on the system and displayed ads accordingly. I see that all the time. If I visit a site like Petco , for days afterwards I will be seeing a stead stream of their banner ads. 

There is no way that anyone can see through electronic devices on the user end. Been in computers since 1979 and have never seen such a thing.

• Like 2

Thanks Episemion.  I try to clear all the cache and stuff and my browsing history quite often, but I guess that doesn't always help me.  I just hate all the ads. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 7:28 PM, NevadaJones said:

I'm praying that somelady's post was largely sarcasm. :51_scream:

I assume so, but I had this image of a sheet over the PC and the window blinds drawn...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, Cliche01 said:

If you have an hdtv and it's connected to a cable box do an experiment, hold something you don't typically see ads for in front of the tv in an inconspicuous way then watch for ads or articles about it.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, NevadaJones said:

I'm praying that somelady's post was largely sarcasm. :51_scream:

Sadly , no. I am serious. If your hdtv is connected to a cable box they can spy on you.

Just the other day I intentionally held up an old pair of underwear and sure enough I get an article called " how often do people change their underwear"

On 8/13/2019 at 3:51 AM, episemion said:

What causes that is that the site viewed left a cookie on your system and the subsequent sites ad rotator visited checked for cookies on the system and displayed ads accordingly. I see that all the time. If I visit a site like Petco , for days afterwards I will be seeing a stead stream of their banner ads. 

There is no way that anyone can see through electronic devices on the user end. Been in computers since 1979 and have never seen such a thing.

You Know smart tv's have cameras in them, right? You can find countless news stories about it.  But what they don't tell you is that Hdtvs have them too. Have  anyone noticed that you can't buy analog or standard def tvs anymore.