Who runs what anymore?

Cliche01

I'm sure most have had the experience of being on a certain survey site, and getting a survey you know was designed and came from another survey site.  For example, maybe you're on Opinion Outpost, and get a survey that looks like something from Ipsos due to the format or the little dude with glasses character.  So if the various survey sites are swapping around their surveys with each other, who really runs or owns what any more and how does it all work?  If I'm on OO and see an Ipsos Survey, did OO pay for the rights to that, or did Ipsos pay them to host the survey?  Seems to me a site would want people to take it's own surveys and the more spread out a survey is, the more skewed the results might be if people end up being able to take it more than once, which has been discussed here before.  

• Like 2

Yeah, they all do that but what gets me is when another site pays more for the survey than if you took it on the site that made it. Or when I get Mindfield surveys on other sites and qualify but I haven't qualified for a survey on the Mindfield site in a few years.

• Like 5

It's all about filling quotas.  The originator of the survey, i.e. the Market Research company that was hired by the original client who needs the data, will either build the survey themselves, or contract it out to another company.  The survey is then offered up to various channels to fill the quota for completes based on the survey's required demographics.  Often times they are first hosted on the companies native panels, e.g. Ipsos i-say will use their own panel site.  If the quota is not filled then it will be released on alternate channels, either survey routers or individual panels the company has a relationship with.

Usually once it's released on alternate channels these channels take their "cut" and the incentive is reduced.  As somelady says above, once in awhile the alternate channel will pay more than the original, but that's probably because the originator offered it to them at a higher rate in an attempt to fill the quota faster (higher incentive = more respondents).

The annoying thing is that this can often turn into multiple layers of channels, e.g. Panel A -> Panel B -> Panel C.  The more layers you get the more complicated it is to return a successful survey complete back to the original panel.  I think this results in some the dead-ends we see when we complete a survey and it never returns back to the original panel that offered it (Cint comes to mind).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1