US Census is hiring

NFriday

Hi- I am currently working for the US Census for about 6 weeks.  I have to verify addresses, and make sure that they are single family or multifamily.  The job involves lots of walking, and they supply you with a laptop where you work addresses to confirm them.  They pay really well.  They are still hiring for January when they need enumerators to visit people who have not mailed in their census.  You go through two class sessions, and 15 hours of online training which you get paid for, and then you get paid more when you go out in the field.  They pay $.58 a mile for your car.  The job is very flexible  If anybody is interested they can go to uscensus.gov to apply.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info on this. According to their website, they send you an application form which will need to be filled out, and it has to be mailed back to them. I am strongly considering this. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I worked for them, in August and September for about 5 weeks total, and I did not have to install any apps.  They gave me a laptop where I recorded my work and my time and expenses.  I am going to work for them again in April, and I am going for a training session 3/17-3/20 for which I will get paid, and I will start visiting homes sometime in April through May.  I am being paid really well, but it varies depending on where you live.  They pay at least $16 an hour and $.58 per mile for gas.  People in rural areas get paid less than people in areas like Chicago, LA, and New York where the cost of living is a lot more.  You can visit census.gov to apply.  They are still looking for help.

• 1 month later...

I was supposed to work for the census again this Spring.  The day I was supposed to go for the first day of training was on March 17.  I called them up the day before, and asked if they were still going to have the training class, and they told me yes.  I told them I had a cough, and I did not feel comfortable coming there, and I backed out.

I got an email from them a few days ago that they are suspending things for a while, and they are trying to figure out how to train people while being socially distant, and they will get back to me.  I just do not want to go door to door right now.  There is a chance that they will try to contact people by phone first, and so I would be doing that.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

The census is hiring again.  I think I will pass, because you have to go door to door, and with the pandemic still going on, I don't think that is safe, but in more rural areas, it might be okay.