Not paid for online focus group

DWF531

I did a survey on Mingle and was invited to take part in an online focus group. We were told we'd get 5000 points if we completed all the activities, which I did (and took screenshots as proof incase I got cheated out of my money). I checked my account and I've only been given 1000 points! I've tried contacting mingle and had no response at all. The moderators of the online focus group were very good at replying to messages, up until I ask about why I've only been given 1000 points, and radio silence. I'm not sure what else to do. I am angry about it, but the most depressing thing is that I absolutely expected this. In fact I expected to not get anything at all, because of how scummy most survey companies are. Looks like my screenshots are completely pointless as I'm getting absolutely no response, not even a really slow one!  I'm so fed up with being exploited by these awful companies all the time, but I've got no choice as I'm disabled and ineligible for benefits and therefore am completely reliant on my partner to live. 

I assume not being paid properly happens a lot with online focus groups

• Confused 1

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm not familiar with Mingle. Fortunately, I don't recall a time I haven't been paid for an online focus group so I don't think it happens too often. If you can't reach them via email, see if they are on Twitter or Facebook and send messages there. I'm assuming that Mingle was just the host. Do you know the company that was actually paying for the information? If so, I'd even try contacting them. Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks, the moderators of the focus group have finally got back to me. Turns out they had been trying to sort it but forgot to get back to me. They've said this shouldn't have happened and they're trying to solve it, but that Mingle needs to sort it out because they're the ones who put the points in our accounts. Apparently they're also looking into it. The lady speaking to me said she'll keep getting on at them. At the end of the day though, if mingle won't give me the points, there doesn't seem to be anything the focus group people can do (at least that's how I see it). I bet I'll hear some usual BS like "your answers didn't match your answers in the survey" or the like. 

But yeah, basically a different company was hosting the focus group but mingle is handling the reward. I think the focus group people tell them how many points each person has earned, and mingle just transfers the points into the accounts. I've no idea whether mingle checks our answers or not. 

Sounds like Mingle has a competency issue, they should have had these issues worked out before leading panelists to any stated activities. I would recommend filing a complaint with BBB if they are in US, otherwise find out what professional association they use and submit a complaint through those groups. Many of these professional agencies don't have any real authority to tell the panels what to do. However, if the panelists that have been jilted work together, we can erode these bad actors reputation and credibility and get a behavior change from these companies.

• Like 1