One Opinion

dawn_b_adams

After being with One Opinion for months, taking dozens of surveys, and cashing out at least $25 every month, I made a little mistake on one of their questions. They temporarily suspended my account for the rest of the day. I think that’s kind of harsh. I tried their stupid twit of an AI. Then I just emailed their member services and said, yeah, I had a brain fart, but really? I think this is ridiculous. I think I will cash out and dump them. I hate how arrogant and condescending some of these survey companies are. Considering all the times they screwed me over, I think I should get a mulligan for one little brain fart. I really hate them right now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well that certainly sucks big brown beef jerky.  Not sure what kind of mistake you mean, but come on, it's a survey, not like taking a school exam or something, so they shouldn't get all over your case about it. 

• Like 3

That will happen if you make a mistake on one of those initial questions ("color of a zebra" for example). Answering wrong means that you were not paying attention. Not nice , but I accept it.

• Like 2

Yeah, my brain fart was during an initial question. I felt really stupid and embarrassed. They can make multiple mistakes and screw me out of a successful completion and not blink an eye, but one little mistake on my part and bam! Appalling customer service. Screw them.

• Like 3

I understand your frustration, but please keep in mind that they have to be strict when it comes to these things. If they weren't, that could introduce bias to their sample. Data with a high degree of bias is basically unusable and also affects their reputation as a sample provider, so they try to avoid it at all cost, even if panelists find it frustrating at times.

Making a mistake on a red-herring question, which seems to be the case here, is not something they would want to take that lightly, as it may indicate respondent fatigue or speeding, which in turn can have a serious impact on the validity of the collected data. In this context, not allowing you to take surveys for the rest of the day makes sense. Sometimes respondents are irritated by these procedures, and rightfully so, but they are nonetheless absolutely crucial.

Just wanted to give you a different perspective.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to agree with TheInsider on this one - the way OneOpinion handles this is completely appropriate. Goofing on one obvious attention check and being banned for life would be completely egregious; goofing on one obvious attention check and being banned for a day makes perfect sense. A few months ago I did the same thing and got the same error, and I was like... yep, that makes sense, I'm clearly way too tired to be taking surveys right now, and I'm glad it was one of those OneOpinion pre-screeners rather than a question 2/3s of the way into a survey.

Moot point now, though, cause OneOpinion's turned into garbage like everyone else - they were the last holdout of sites actually paying decently and treating us like humans. Now with the joke of a bot making it difficult to talk to actual tech support when something goes wrong, and the increasingly high ratio of surveys with "variable" pay (which don't even give you 5 cents for a screenout!)... I just cashed out my last $25 yesterday (which took way longer than it used to!), and deleted them from my browser shortcuts. Which sucks - there are now zero sites left I can check whenever for market research surveys (mturk and Prolific are different, obviously), as opposed to just waiting for them to get emailed to me sporadically, but I'm not going to take surveys from any site that doesn't respect my time.  I miss when I had half a dozen options for sites that at least sort of did. OneOpinion was the last one left, for the past year or so, now they're just like everyone else. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Logged in just to applaud your post, Neminem. They agreed to pay the less than $25 and agreed to delete my account on the 9th. They did delete my account but of course, haven’t paid. I get the same four people telling me it’s been requested over and over but no payment. I loathe them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GammiWoo said:

Logged in just to applaud your post, Neminem. They agreed to pay the less than $25 and agreed to delete my account on the 9th. They did delete my account but of course, haven’t paid. I get the same four people telling me it’s been requested over and over but no payment. I loathe them.

Yeah, if they already deleted your account, you’re not very likely to be paid. They totally suck. I’m on the verge of dumping them. Not worth my valuable time. There are others that I have found that are much better.

• Like 1

Running into issues with them regarding payment as well. There is a bug in their rewards process that gives an error and fails. See my response in the General section here under the Emily post for more details. 

17 hours ago, GammiWoo said:

Came back to say that I did get paid esterday. No email or anything but so happy to be done. Just a payment from “Dynata”.

Physical card or e-card? Tried to cash out for a physical one a week ago. Got an error when it was supposed to send a code to my phone. Contacted support and got all sorts of things to try , all of which had no effect and none pointed to their site as the problem. Finally , on 10/24 they said that they would process the card and mail it. No word since and no points deducted.

BTW , what was the return address? Still in the US?

• 2 weeks later...

I too, favored One Opinion above the other sites  and have been with them for a year.. On 10/31 I took a 15 minute survey which was very thorough and thought for sure I would get credit.. When it ended, there was no message of any kind.. Since then I have received no survey notifications and none appears when going on the site.  Finally today, I asked their ' virtual assistant' that said my account has been ' temporarily paused' .. no reason or anything.  I was given a case number.  I just wrote them.  I cannot think of anything I did that was a violation. Yet my account has been frozen for nearly 5 days.  They also owe me a physical gift card which should be arriving this week ( fingers crossed)

• 4 months later...

One Opinion has really gone downhill recently. I've been with them since 2013, they used to be one of the best. I have to wonder if they have been bought out by an a**hole company like Clix Sense was. Tired of searching for alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1