Silly Weird question on surveys

lunastargazer

What is with some of the weird questions on some of these surveys? The surveys start out with asking you questions about a particular product. Then they switch gears and ask questions or make statements such as:

I live a life of novelty and change.

I aspire to be a better person. 

If I can think of some more I'll post them.

• Like 1

Good question, and I assume it's just to get a basic 'personality profile' of the survey taker.    So say you tell them you like frozen pizza, then that you aspire to be a better person and like novelty and change, that gives them an idea of what sort of person likes frozen pizza, and perhaps even how to market it. 

• Like 2

The ones that would make me tear my hair out if I had any are those that ask you to apply various characteristics to a company. And they're always  essentially meaningless words in any context: what the hell does 'authentic' or 'inclusive' mean anyway?

• Like 5

The characteristics are the absolute worst. You have to click on the tiny dots (which makes my eyes hurt). Are they exciting, friendly, intelligent, etc..OMG if I've not invested too much time in the survey I click off. I think I'm getting survey burnout. I find myself frustrated and angry when I do them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, lunastargazer said:

The characteristics are the absolute worst. You have to click on the tiny dots (which makes my eyes hurt). Are they exciting, friendly, intelligent, etc..OMG if I've not invested too much time in the survey I click off. I think I'm getting survey burnout. I find myself frustrated and angry when I do them.

Oh yeah. Those totally suck. And don't forget the ones asking you questions about companies that you would have no reason to know the answer to, like how well they pay their employees, or whether they have a good company culture, or whether their leadership team has strategic vision. 

• Like 6

Another major pain is the one (thankfully it hasn't cropped up for a while) where you're presented with 6 groups of 6 men (who all seem to range from early 20s to mid 30s, how diverse!) and have to answer ridiculous questions about their imagined responses to various products. I'd sooner work on an oil rig or down a coal mine than addle my brain doing this garbage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/23/2019 at 5:38 PM, lunastargazer said:

What is with some of the weird questions on some of these surveys? The surveys start out with asking you questions about a particular product. Then they switch gears and ask questions or make statements such as:

I live a life of novelty and change.

I aspire to be a better person. 

If I can think of some more I'll post them.

That's probably just the screening process to filter out the bots and shysters. It's a lot better than a Captcha put together by an AI that can't tell the difference between an 18 wheeler, bus, or RV.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, I recall when I lived in Michigan, there were Coney Island restaurants everywhere known for a hotdog topped with chili, onion and mustard, so guess they had a positive effect in terms of economy. 

• Haha 2

Oof yeah the characteristic questions are already bad enough, but I agree with neminem on the extremely personal questions you wouldn't actually know unless your knowledge of the company/brand is super indepth, or you worked for them yourself. I always get nervous as I legitimately can't answer them and am forced to just have a long line of clicking the 'i don't know' option :s While afterwords praying the survey company don't think I'm just one of those people who click down the whole line without any thought lmao 

• Like 3

Probably even more infuriating than ridiculous questions are the logic fails I encounter almost every day. You know the sort of thing: 'Do you have children? No. How old are they?' 'Do you have a car? No. What make is it?' I've lost count of the number of times I've been forced to supply false data in this way.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GammiWoo said:

I loathe the ones that show you different faces and you have to pick what job you think each person has. So stupid.

I hate those too. I swear these survey companies like to play head games with people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Along those same lines, how about the ones where they have you pick 5 out of like 100 photos that you think represent how you would feel using a certain product, and it's like pictures of clouds, kittens, fruit etc. I mean, come on!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3