Political survey thoughts?

Cliche01

What with a new election coming up where I live and all the BS going on in the government, been getting quite a few political surveys lately.  Was curious what others felt about these, sometimes they end up feeling like some sort of ad for a particular person.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Cliche01 said:

Oh, it can be quite a ride. In texas some very contentious senate races lead to some very peculiar surveys about the candidates. Such as the Cruz/O'Rourke race. Like was this attack ad good, or was this one better? which attack ad is more believable? It was so outlandish, I made screen shots of the ads.  If you change your political leanings from survey to survey the closer to the election, you will get to see the oppositions strategy.

• Like 3

I often see some subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) bias in these political surveys. The way they're constructed, for example, steering you to answer a certain way or even the actual wording of the questions. That's why even though I do surveys, I disregard the findings. Think by now we all know how misleading/wrong surveys, polls, etc. can be. :wink:

(Edit to include something else I just thought of.)

These sort of surveys also can be factually flawed. Recently had two similar surveys asking whether I would support or oppose certain legislation in my state. Problem was that two of the pieces of legislation had already been proposed, put on the ballot, voted on, passed and enacted...as much as three years ago! I pointed this out in both the first and second survey (in the survey comments section), but I begin to suspect that when you're asked for comments about a survey, they often are ignored, wasting my time and very rudimentary keyboard skills. :lol:

• Like 4

Yeah, I have seen some interesting stuff in political surveys lately. A lot of them have questions on how I feel about investigations, impeachment, what direction the country is going to, etc. I think things will continue to get more interesting, and more biased in the surveys as we get closer to the election.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 12:40 PM, NevadaJones said:

I often see some subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) bias in these political surveys. The way they're constructed, for example, steering you to answer a certain way or even the actual wording of the questions. That's why even though I do surveys, I disregard the findings. Think by now we all know how misleading/wrong surveys, polls, etc. can be. :wink:

(Edit to include something else I just thought of.)

These sort of surveys also can be factually flawed. Recently had two similar surveys asking whether I would support or oppose certain legislation in my state. Problem was that two of the pieces of legislation had already been proposed, put on the ballot, voted on, passed and enacted...as much as three years ago! I pointed this out in both the first and second survey (in the survey comments section), but I begin to suspect that when you're asked for comments about a survey, they often are ignored, wasting my time and very rudimentary keyboard skills. :lol:

Completely agree on the bias of these surveys. I'm actually surprised I'm given the incentives for my answers LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I am so tired of doing political surveys.  Each survey site seems to offer at least one a day . . . sometimes the exact survey as another site.  I have done so many of these that I could probably do them in my sleep.  I wonder how relevant these surveys actually are in the entire voting process.  There have been a couple of times that I have stopped completing in the middle of the survey simply because I was so weary of the same questions being asked.

• Like 3

Well, hopefully they will die off pretty soon...but likely pick up again next election.  Just one of those things.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind doing them but I don't like having to rate the ads as they are playing.  There's one survey that asks in the begging the chances of you voting, every time I put absolutely certain I would get dqd.Now I put something else and they let me take the survey.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, greeneyeddevils said:

I'm so sick of the USA election surveys on Tellwut & I'm sick of hearing about Trump...I'm in Canada & could care less 

Huh, kind of surprised you'd even get them, would think since you are in Canada, you get ruled out.  In any case, have to say I'm not much into politics myself, but this current election is kind of a big deal since many want Trump out of office. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Their forum is unfortunately cutthroat at times.   Conservatives and liberals there are both to blame IMHO.  If you just take the polls for the points, you should be ok.   

• Like 1

Tellwut is located in Canada true, but I estimate at least half of their subscribers are Americans, if not even more than that.  Thus, probably the reason why there are so many American election polls.   There are actually a good number of polls about Canadian politics as well, but there is usually more interest about American elections over on Tellwut, not just from Americans, but from Canadians as well.  Much of the time, Canadians know more about American politics than my fellow Americans do.  I'm 100 percent serious too.