Identity theft

dawn_b_adams

A few weeks ago, I got something in the mail from Wisconsin DWD Unemployment Insurance. They said they received my application for unemployment insurance. I was confused, as I have been retired for good for over a year, and am drawing a pension. There is no reason whatsoever that I would want or need unemployment. So I called them, and they escalated me to their fraud department. I repeated to them that I have been retired and I never applied for unemployment. They stated that whoever did this already got some benefits. I was absolutely floored to hear this. They figured something was wrong and flagged it for fraud. They stated they were investigating it. 

So since someone had my personal information, I went through the steps of someone who was the victim of identity theft. I filed a report through the FTC, the Wisconsin Department of Ag, Trade, and Consumer Protection, put freezes on all three credit bureaus, put alerts on all my accounts, and got LifeLock, the deluxe version, to monitor all my accounts. I felt violated. I have been having minor problems with attempted hacking of some things since I started doing surveys. I really worry that someone got hold of my personal information indirectly from a survey company. 

I think of all the personal information we give them on a daily basis. Of course, they say look out for your privacy and won’t use your information to sell you anything or sell your information to someone else. But I think they lie and this is exactly what they do. I thought since I have anti virus, anti malware and that on my computer that I would be safe. I guess not. This has made me rethink whether I just will stop doing surveys altogether. I don’t know if it’s worth it for the return I get on investment. I used to think of survey taking as a calculated risk. Now I think it’s a risk, nothing calculated about it. 

I have enjoyed doing online surveys as a hobby for about six years now. But sometimes hobbies need to be jettisoned. It’s sad, but I have little trust in anything anymore, and have to protect myself. I’m alone, and vulnerable. I just had to vent a little. Thanks for “listening”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear that, Dawn.

Were you able to get information regarding what level of your info was used to open the account? The survey info we give out isn't usually enough for hackers to do that with. They are usually stuck sending us spam e-mails with the hopes that we will fall for a phony phishing message from a seemingly legit company. Amazon has a nastily realistic-looking one mimicking it going around that can trick people into giving their log-in info., for example.

I don't know if you knew this, but a few years ago, a massive breach occurred where the Social Security numbers of 140,000,000 Americans got stolen. That's most people who are working, or used to. Other breaches have exposed our driver's license numbers, medical records, etc.  It's pretty much all out there. Still helps to change passwords, though. And embrace double authentication, or demand it from all data holders.

But we should all expect fake accounts to be opened in our names, at some point, even if only a fraction of us ever experience that. I'm happy that you are taking all the right steps, even if that's all you can do for now. I'm skeptical of even LifeLock now; not that they haven't helped or protected people. But they are not perfect, either. I'm lucky so far. Someone in a Dallas hotel room once charged a $4.00 mini-bar soda or bottled water to my old Citicard, but the company dealt with it immediately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dawn, although I've never gotten my SS number hacked from surveys, I've had some weird things on my phone. If I give my real phone number on surveys I get weird calls for days. They either hang up or leave some recording that I need to call them back. I know they're all scams.

OTOH, I was in Harbor Freight a few weeks ago. They always ask for a phone number and email before they process your sale. Reminds of Radio Shack. It was crowded so I said ok. I get a text on my phone an hour later that my password for my ATT account changed and it wasn't me to contact them. So I did. That was no coincidence. I only give out my google voice number now. When I log into my GV account I get 5-10 calls a day. No messages.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Haven't had ID theft , but have had accounts hacked a couple of times , but the site caught it as the IP wasn't mine and came from outside the US. But , those were straight up account hacks. They had nothing to do with the standard demographics data the surveys request. That is why when I got the survey from Cornell with the "mother's maiden name" request , I at first just quit it and the next time , enter a bogus one. (Made no difference - it failed anyway.) That is a common account access question. If I get requests for info that a survey should not have a need for , I get out right away.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your replies. Yeah, there have been a few data breaches of my personal information. My Target card and Capital One card are a few I can think of off the top of my head. Way back in the day, when I first joined the Navy, I had to fill out a lengthy form to get a top secret security clearance. Apparently that information was digitized and put out on the internet. Guess what? Someone hacked into that and got all kinds of personal information on millions of service members. I got a letter from Office of Personnel Management a few years back. Got free credit monitoring for a couple of years off of that. 

Dimefynder, yes, I remember hearing about the social security number breach. That kind of stuff scares the crap out of me. I think for the unemployment thing, they just needed my name and address. 

I have changed my passwords, and am hoping with all I’ve done, that will contain things. I’m still on the fence on continuing to do surveys though. Lunastargazer, I experienced something similar to what you experienced with getting weird phone calls. I used to give my landline number, now I no longer do that. I give my cell phone number, as I can simply block the number. I hate those phone hackers.

It seems no matter how careful we are, something will happen sooner or later. I’m trying to limit buying stuff online too, as I think many of those sites are easily hacked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The information was probably gleaned from the data and site breaches posted and sold on the DarkNet. Check ALL THE EMAILS YOU HAVE EVER USED on

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

These are only the breaches that have been detected from DarkNet posts. There maybe others in undiscovered locations. 

This has happened to Survey Panels, Cashcrate.  I was one of the compromised Cash Crate accounts. Cashcrate never notified me, I had to find out myself.  Cashcrate claims to have addressed the issues that lead to the breach, but their login process still uses nonsecure password login process.

If you recycle passwords, you are at an elevated risk. This is because the login information from breaches, even from long dead and long gone accounts can be used for credential stuffing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Truth is we really have no idea what happens to our data. It's floating around on the internet. 

I have enjoyed doing online surveys as a hobby for about six years now. But sometimes hobbies need to be jettisoned. It’s sad, but I have little trust in anything anymore, and have to protect myself. I’m alone, and vulnerable. I just had to vent a little. Thanks for “listening”.

I can relate to this. I trust no-one.

• Like 4

I signed in to do one of the router ones through mypoints and had to give my email.  One day later I am getting all kinds of spam.  I mark it as junk, and it just keeps coming.  Now I am getting job offers for Canada.  I live in the Midwest of US, so no thanks.  I am getting emails about enhancing body parts that I don't and never have had.  I apparently am thought to be disabled/depressed.  You name, I got it apparently.  UGH!! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, rosiesmom said:

I signed in to do one of the router ones through mypoints and had to give my email.  One day later I am getting all kinds of spam.  I mark it as junk, and it just keeps coming.  Now I am getting job offers for Canada.  I live in the Midwest of US, so no thanks.  I am getting emails about enhancing body parts that I don't and never have had.  I apparently am thought to be disabled/depressed.  You name, I got it apparently.  UGH!! 

Similar thing happening to me on my Gmail account , which is used exclusively for Winloot. However , it isn't Winloot that I suspect , but a partner that offers an interstitial game that I entered. Ever since , been getting all sorts of political crap.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2