Will COVID Permanently Affect Focus Groups?

Njsurveyman

I live in the NYC area and still haven't seen any upcoming focus groups offering in person research studies, even as all offices are allowed to reopen. Every one of my invites continue to be for webcam or zoom style groups. I am just curious if we have seen the end of all "in-person" focus group/research studies due to COVID? I must admit that even before the pandemic, I noticed less in-person invitations. This would be a shame because I do not own a webcam and also do not like chasing after these various companies for my pay. I only prefer to participate with in person groups. 

A rep from Hagen Sinclair told me that he does not see any in person groups returning. However, I did receive a few short, unpaid "feeler surveys" from a few focus group companies asking if I'dbe comfortable attending in-person groups again, and if so, which precautions would be necessary to get me back. Has anyone been invited to in-person focus groups yet, since reopenings? 

• Like 2

Nope, but I've done 2 and my husband has done 1 in the last 30 - 45 days ($325 total) online. Are you still against the webcam? You come across as so personable, funny and smart...you are the person these focus groups need! I too have seen the question about in-person groups. I would be okay w/it but I don't think we'll be seeing those any time soon. I live in south Florida and our cases are rising daily. Combine that with the expected surge in the fall and I doubt we'll see any this year. 

• Like 2

There is one survey company in Chicago out near O'Hare that says they are going to start doing in person studies, but I would be nervous about that.  I did a study a few years ago over the phone that they paid me $100 for, and I got a webcam from them too.  The study I just got from 20/20 sounds like it is strictly going to be online, but I have gotten emails about a lot of zoom or phone in studies, but I am never eligible for them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. I have a very old laptop and don't even think a webcam would be too compatible with it (even if I were to get one). From past experiences, I've had to chase after companies like Qinsights, Focusforward/Surveysquad, and even Focus Pt Global many times for my pay after doing off campus focus groups

I was screened yesterday for an in person taste-test near me paying only $25, but I did not qualify because I said that I dont prefer vegan foods. 

• Like 1

I live in Canada & all I'm getting now are invites for online groups...I can see focus groups vanishing at least til mid 2021 until there's a vaccine for the virus...it's not safe putting all the people in a room together for these focus groups...

• Like 2

I got a survey from 20/20 for an in-person focus group. This is truly part of the Covid-problem especially here in South Florida where we have the 2 counties w/the most cases. I would love to know who was sponsoring this study. Why couldn't this wait? Why couldn't this be done online? I don't care what measures they are taking. It would take way more than $100 for me to tackle Miami traffic and a pandemic!

Study Topic: Service Plans
When: Week of July 20th
        Who: Males & Females, Ages 18-49
  What: 60 minute In Person Study
Why: $100 for qualifying and fully participating !
Please Read: This is an In Person study. We will be following specific guidelines all respondents must follow including: All respondents must wear a mask and follow social distancing guidelines. There will be 30 minutes in between all interviews to all the room to be cleaned for the next participant. 

• Like 1

I recently did a online focus group with Pi- Opinion where I had to download a Zoom application .I got paid $45 for 30 minutes .I would do it again.Also Hatch has been sending me focus groups to do this way .I was asked if I would go  in person for a one on one from a company located here in Asutin- I wouldn't have a problem with that. I also do make-up product test for a company here in Austin where I go in but they do it one person at a time- we have to wear a mask and they take our temperature before entering. I do this about every other month ,so far so good but I sanitize my hands before and after going to just to be careful.Oh then they have the plexiglass  dividers .

• Like 1

I have a razor in home test product from Ipsos i-say.com and they haven't responded to my questions about follow up surveys to complete this project. I've taken iPhone photos to confirm the validity of this razor package just incase they contact me to finish completing this. LockDown is wreaking havoc on Ipsos i-say.com website.

I posted earlier that 20/20 sent an invite for an in-person survey. I didn't do it. They just called to see if I would be interested. They obviously didn't get enough responses. I've never had them call me out of the blue. There is too much going on in Miami and I don't think everyone is comfortable right now.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:46 PM, sp1 said:

I have a razor in home test product from Ipsos i-say.com and they haven't responded to my questions about follow up surveys to complete this project. I've taken iPhone photos to confirm the validity of this razor package just incase they contact me to finish completing this. LockDown is wreaking havoc on Ipsos i-say.com website.

I did a PT for them not to long ago on Toilet Paper.I had no problems with them -hopefully you will get your issues resolved.

• 1 month later...

Are Pi-Opinion and Hatch only for your area, or are they nationwide focus group companies? I only ask because I am noy familiar with either of them. 

I am going to ask for a webcam for my upcoming birthday, because it seems that this is the direction most of the higher paying studies are now going. I just hope it is temporary and they realize they get the best feedback in person. Nothing can fully replace reading the body language and reactions of people in person. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 8:56 AM, Njsurveyman said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have a very old laptop and don't even think a webcam would be too compatible with it (even if I were to get one). From past experiences, I've had to chase after companies like Qinsights, Focusforward/Surveysquad, and even Focus Pt Global many times for my pay after doing off campus focus groups. 

I was screened yesterday for an in person taste-test near me paying only $25, but I did not qualify because I said that I dont prefer vegan foods. 

The reason that payment takes a while for most companies is that the studies run over a period of multiple days. Usually we will do payment all at the end, so although you might have done your survey on a Monday, the last day for the research might have been 7-8 days later. Then you also have to factor in the cutting of the checks and mailing the checks. Most offices are running with staff working from home or at the office for 1 day per week to cut checks, so it takes time to cut the checks and to get them mailed. We and other research companies are trying out electronic payment methods which aren't perfect and also not everyone likes them. Just be patient and if you feel the timing is excessive, definitely call the research company and get a commitment from them. I'm very honest with my participants and I tell them when checks should potentially arrive.

-Oliver/Q-insights 818-988-5411