E-Rewards/ Dynanta, Tax

Beautifulone1

I received an email from Dynata about tax purposes and I was unaware that getting gift cards and points can lead up to money that has to be claimed on your taxes. I do understand online groups that offer money like for example ($125) Visa Virtual Gift Card etc. can count. The email claimed that I made over $600 in 2020. The email also had an link that lead to me entering my personal information like my S.S. l but I didn't put anything in. The email stated they will be sending me more information in 2021. I figured this was a phishing email or a scam so I didn't go any further. I am a member of One Opinion, and E-Rewards. Has anyone else  received this kind on email before?

That was a valid email. All $$ earned from a site is totaled. If you exceed $600 , you get the form as the income has to be reported. 

• Like 1

I got one from Swagbucks, but I buy the SB, I don't earn them, and I pay an additional dollar for them.  So I am going to talk to my tax guy and see what he says.  I know it has to be reported, but I should be able to do something for those points that I purchase at a premium. 

• Like 1

I wouldnt give these survey companies your SS number even if they ask for it. But if you made over $600 with any particular company, just remember to report it on your taxes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, may I ask have you received your 1099-misc form? What was the category on the form and did you calculate how were airline miles and hotel points were converted to dollar amounts? Thank you.