Citizen Me WARNING

Njsurveyman

The app, Citizen Me asks for your payal email and PASSWORD to pay you for their "paid" surveys. On another forum, people have been saying they noticed unauthorized activity in their paypal accounts after providing this information. The app does NOT take you to the actual paypal website to link it up, it actually just asks you for your paypal info including password on a separate screen on their OWN app. They seem to be a fraudulent company now, stealing paypal passwords, so be careful. No survey company needs your paypal password to pay you. If you ever gave Citizen Me your paypal password, make sure you change your password! I do NOT recommend anyone deal with this shady company anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the good info on this. Yeah, totally sketchy. Nobody legitimate would ask you for your PayPal email and password. No way am I giving out my password to anyone. That gives them license to go in there and clean out my account.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Survey Police Members,

At Citizenme, we take your privacy very seriously. Please remember that all of your personal data stays securely on your own smartphone.

We only ask you to sign into your PayPal account in the app to validate that you have a “PayPal Verified Account” before you can proceed with your first paid survey. This is done to ensure you can actually receive the cash payment immediately via your PayPal account.  

We have specifically designed CitizenMe to ensure that you only share data that you want to – even with us.

Hope this makes it clear! If you have any additional questions, please reach out to our customer service at [email protected].

Thanks,

Team Citizenme

21 hours ago, citizenme said:

Hi Survey Police Members,

At CitizenMe, we take your privacy very seriously. Please remember that all of your personal data stays securely on your own smartphone.

We only ask you to sign into your PayPal account in the app to validate that you have a “PayPal Verified Account” before you can proceed with your first paid survey. This is done to ensure you can actually receive the cash payment immediately via your PayPal account.  

We have specifically designed CitizenMe to ensure that you only share data that you want to – even with us.

Hope this makes it clear! If you have any additional questions, please reach out to our customer service at [email protected].

Thanks,

Team CitizenMe

I find this hard to believe. Based on what I’m hearing from others on this very site, they have had suspicious activity on their PayPal accounts. I also think it’s quite disingenuous of you to come on here to make one post that is a bunch of bull. I will not go near your site with a 10 foot pole. Stop being fake.

Exactly Dawn. When a company rep goes out of their way to defend their shady practices, which others have confirmed, it just further proves they are full of it. No company needs your paypal password PERIOD!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thanks for raising this, we clearly need to do some work on the way that we communicate this in the app.

We're pretty unique in that we pay out as soon as a survey is completed - which we believe is the way that everyone should do it (asking people to "earn" $10 or $20 before a payout is simply not fair). 

However, when we launched we quickly hit a problem with fraud where criminals set up fake accounts and drained the surveys before real users can answer them. This is very common with Market Research Apps - which is bad for everyone.  As a solution, we ask all Citizens to connect their *verified* PayPal account when they sign up in the app. PayPal guarantees to us that all Verified PayPal users are real humans - and we then trust PayPal - and that's all we need to know to make the payout. All of this logic stays on the app (the only personal data we hold on our servers is the users username - that's it!). When you share opinions or data, it's shared directly with clients.

The result is that we can guarantee to our clients that results are from real humans - and Citizens using the app get the maximum amount of surveys. If you have any questions or suggestions - please email us at [email protected] - we'd love to hear from you.

StJohn, CEO, Citizenme

Just chiming in, as there seems some confusion regarding the technical integration between Citizenme and PayPal.

When you verify your PayPal account through the Citizenme app, you're doing it through PayPal, not Citizenme. Citizenme is utilizing PayPal's API (you can find out more about this here: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/business/make-payments/) in their app. At no point does Citizenme have access to your PayPal password.

Citizenme's set up is no different from sites such as Paidviewpoint, which also utilizes PayPal as a payment provider, and asks you to verify your PayPal account details before cashing out. The only difference is that Citizenme is doing this through via a mobile app, and not a website. Both sites use PayPal's API to accomplish this.

Connecting your PayPal account via a website can seem more transparent, as you can see the paypal.com url in your link bar. When this is done via an app, urls do not display, hence why this can seem suspicious and can seem like the app itself is asking you for your PayPal credentials. Rest assured, when you link your PayPal account to Citizenme, you're logging in to PayPal directly to connect the two - Citizenme never sees your PayPal password.

Thanks for the clarification on this. I'm on a few other panels that ask some info to link my PayPal account. But I would never give out my password regardless to any survey panel. As long as it's PayPal getting the info, that's fine.

3 minutes ago, dawn_b_adams said:

Thanks for the clarification on this. I'm on a few other panels that ask some info to link my PayPal account. But I would never give out my password regardless to any survey panel. As long as it's PayPal getting the info, that's fine.

I think most panels that do PayPal require a verified account which means there has to be a bank account linked to your PayPal account. 

• 2 weeks later...

Administrator.....WRONG! When I tried linking my Paypal Account with Citizen Me, it did NOT take me to the paypal website. It became a "popup" within the Citizen Me app itself prompting my Paypal password. It is NOTHING like Paidviewpoint and I am sure other forum members on here will back me up on that. Just look at all the terrible reviews within the app store. SMH

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Njsurveyman said:

Administrator.....WRONG! When I tried linking my Paypal Account with Citizen Me, it did NOT take me to the paypal website. It became a "popup" within the Citizen Me app itself prompting my Paypal password. It is NOTHING like Paidviewpoint and I am sure other forum members on here will back me up on that. Just look at all the terrible reviews within the app store. SMH

Njsurveyman, please take some time to understand what an API is and how the PayPal API works within a mobile app. We already explained the differences above.

Topic closed.

• Administrator locked this topic