Addison Research Experiences?

Njsurveyman

I just completed a LONG 5 hour research study in person for Addison Research in NYC for a User Interview study. I signed up for the study on the User Interview website. We were told to expect a $200 payment via paypal after the study yesterday. I even called them on the phone yesterday evening to confirm they had the correct email for payment. (Good thing I did because they were actually missing one letter in my email address). Still no payment today. I am very angry. I gave them 5 HOURS of my time. I hope that it is just because it's the weekend and to expect it Monday. 

Has anyone else done a study with Addison or User Interview before? I did one alcohol taste testing for them last month too, but they paid onsite immediately afterwards.  Should I be worried?

• Confused 1

I occasionally get emails from user interview, but none of them interest me.  They were actually doing a live in person study?  I have not gotten any of those since the pandemic started.  All of the ones I have gotten from Plaza Research and a few other outfits have been either online or through Zoom.  I don't know if I would be willing to do a live one right now.  If there were any in downtown Chicago, I would be nervous about taking public transportation, and I would have to spend $20 on parking in the Loop.  I have not been on a Subway or bus since the pandemic started.  One of the market research companies a few months ago asked me if I would be comfortable doing a live study, but that is before things got bad again in Illinois.

I might consider doing one somewhere I could drive and would not have to pay an arm and a leg for parking, like the one I did a few years ago in Skokie, but most of the studies are either in downtown Chicago or on Michigan Ave, where the parking is prohibitive.

• Like 1

Oh ok. Good to know. I did receive a follow up email from them today asking me to confirm my paypal email address for payment. I take that as a good sign. 

I have been taking public transit to work every day since Sept. My wife does the same. Everyone wears a mask and haven't had anything to be concerned about as of yet. 

Yes, a few in person studies have resumed in my area. Mostly just one on one taste testing and usability tests. I also participated in one of those media science tests a couple months ago in person when you wear a special harmless cap that measures brain activity while watching something on the screen. Slowly, but surely I have been seeing some in person research opportunities returning. I actually don't have any webcam or Zoom capabilities at home on my older laptop, so I dont even bother applying to those studies. I believe researchers know they get the best feedback through in person research, and therefore many companies will return to this format once COVID numbers decrease. 

All you need is a webcam to do Zoom.  I did a study maybe three years ago that required a webcam which I did not have, and so they gave me one.  I have two different groups that I am involved in, that currently meet via Zoom.  It is going to be at least four months before they meet again in person.  Before the pandemic when I went on the Subway to downtown Chicago during rush hour, the train would be packed.  But since most of the people that worked downtown are now working remote, I am sure it is  not nearly as busy.  One of my friends took the L to the loop a few weeks ago for the first time since the pandemic started.  He does not have a car, but he occasionally rides his bike into Chicago.

It is getting harder and harder to sign into this Survey Police site. Anyway, STILL NOT PAID BY ADDISON via User Interviews. I called today and got the same receptionist who "acts like he cares" but all he can do is take down my info and tell me they will get back to me. I also sent another email, but no reply.  I really hope I didn't waste 5 hours of my time and be screwed on payment. Any other suggestions to make them pay me the $200 they owe me?

UPDATE: After leaving a terrible review for them on google and yelp, and after several emails and phone calls, they finally sent me an echeck through paypal yesterday that shows pending. 

• Like 1

Still waiting for the Paypal echeck payment to clear! Still shows pending. I guess it was delayed due to MLK Day. This is just crazy. Should I contact paypal or give it more time?

On 1/19/2021 at 11:23 AM, Njsurveyman said:

Still waiting for the Paypal echeck payment to clear! Still shows pending. I guess it was delayed due to MLK Day. This is just crazy. Should I contact paypal or give it more time?

Did it finally come thru?

• 6 months later...

***BEWARE SCAM***Addison Research is a scam, they made me send them pictures of me and my home then claimed on the day of the study something was wrong with the internet and REFUSED to pay me in full even after they got ALL my personal information.****BEWARE SCAM****

I am so sorry, but never updated anyone since last winter. Yes, I finally did get paid from Addison after a lot of back and forth. The pending paypal payment took 5 more days to clear, but did eventually go through. 

I was contacted a few times from them over the spring to participate in a shorter, additional study. However, since it conflicted with my work schedule at the time, I declined. Haven't heard from them at all during the summer yet.

I wouldn't call them a total scam because they did eventually pay me. But, they are not the easiest to deal with and no company should force you to chase after your pay.