Did anybody get a survey from yougov about vaccines?

NFriday

I did not get this because I don't have any kids, but I just found out on the news that yahoo news and YouGov did a vaccine survey for adults with kids under the age of 18.  They found out that there was a lot of hesitancy among parents to get their kids vaccinated when the COVID vaccines become available to kids.  There was particularly more hesitancy amount younger parents, and among lower income people and Republicans.  A lot of the people responding said that kids are low risk from dyeing or getting really sick from COVID, and so why do kids need to get vaccinated.  Experts predicted that a lot of parents will change their mind, and allow their kids to get vaccinated. 

• Confused 2

Yeah, I got this survey and I don't have kids. But, instead they asked me IF I had kids would you..........

I actually enjoy their political surveys. Not to get too political, but personally I would NOT allow my kids to get vaccinated (If I had them) ONLY because I had severe side effects from my first dose of Moderna, and never in my life did any other vaccine make me as sick as Moderna did.  I believe these vaccines work for the most part in preventing COVID, but since they are so new and rushed, they need a lot more tweaking to make them safer for everyone.

I think everyone's body is different when it comes to reaction to the vaccines, but too many people I know (including myself) had very bad reactions to it. 

Njsurveyman, I also had Moderna, both shots. There is a difference between being sick and feeling sick. We're not sick after the shot, it's normal to feel crummy as the immune system kicks in. I had fever, chills and slept for about 48 hours straight, just came up for food and a few minutes here and there. The technology isn't new...yes the vaccine was rushed because  we had a crisis but the trials went on for months and is still going on. My friends who were in the trial still have to go back and report any effects over a year later. You said they are new...not so. The technology is old. MRNA has been used with other vaccines. The decision is of course up to you, I don't know if you got shot #2 but personally, I would rather feel lousy for a day or two (I did have a headache fo a week!) than get covid.There are a lot of youtubes on Moderna 2nd vaccine that are interesting, some even funny because you have to look at it with some humor, you feel lousy, ride through it as a normal reaction and wait it out. I'm sorry you had a really bad time with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had both of the Pfizer shots.  The only side effect I got was a really sore arm for about 24 hours after the second shot.  I personally only know one person who had lots of side effects.  She had the Moderna, and only had the first shot, and refuses to get the second shot.  She actually reported her side effects to the CDC.  She passed out a few times and had lots of pain.  She told me though her Father who is no longer living, had one flu shot in his whole life, and had severe side effects from it.  There might be something going on in her genes.

Yes the technology they have been studying for eight years, and so this is not entirely new.  I had one friend who got COVID and died from it, and I have one friend who came down with COVID on Thanksgiving day, and went to the ER, and was in the hospital for 18 days, including two days on a vent, and she is still on supplemental oxygen.  We also had a very well known restaurant owner here in Evanston, who was 72, and had had a liver transplant, and came down with COVID in June, and died from it.  He actually did a few promos for the city, encouraging people to wear their mask.  I don't know if I would have worked in his BBQ restaurant dealing with customers all day, if I had had a liver transplant.  His obituary was on Sunday Today, the PBS News Hour, and in the New York Times.

Somebody in my family now is on the fence about getting the vaccine, because it has not been tested enough, and plus there is a chance that she had an asymptomatic case of COVID, and if she did she feels that she does not need the vaccine, which is not true.  She was going to get tested the last time I talked to her to see if she did have COVID.  She lives in Michigan where cases are really high right now.

I just assumed the YouGov survey was done by parents, and that is why I did not get it.  Some parents in the Chicago area are anxious for their kids to get the shot, and one mother said her 17 year old daughter was petrified about getting COVID, and so she drove her 200 miles so she could get the shot ASAP.  I know another 17 year old who wants to get the shot because she wants to go to a wedding next month.

• Like 1

Bottom line, it should be a personal choice when it comes to getting the vaccine or allowing your child to get it. Especially if your child is known to have allergic reactions to some foods or other medications in the past, I would not take that chance. No school or business should have the right to mandate a vaccine that is so new, with already known safety issues (otherwise J&J wouldn't have been paused). They obviously do NOT know the magnitude of the adverse reactions these vaccines can potentially cause. 

I would say 1 out of every 2 people I personally know had some pretty nasty side effects from the vaccine. (A vaccine that STILL does not guarantee you will be protected) Keep in mind that even though it is very sad so many people passed away from COVID, at least 98% of people who got COVID survived. The number of heart disease deaths in 2020 was actually DOUBLE the number of COVID deaths to put it in perspective. I support anyone's decision to get the vaccine, but I also support anyone who refuses to get the vaccine. Both sides have very good arguments. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter just had her second Moderna vaccine  she had all the side effects you could probably have  really sick for 3 days

She is very petite and small boned  I always wonder how she could get the same dosage as someone who is a lot bigger.She is not sure about wanting to get a Booster if needed

• Sad 2

If you do get side effects from the vaccine, at least you know it is working, and it is better than getting COVID. Some people who get sick enough to miss work, and do not get any sick days on the job, are eligible to get paid.  Their employer can receive money from the federal government so they can pay the employee for the days missed.  I have a family member right now who refuses to get the vaccine, and 13% of the people in her town have had COVID, but the majority of the people in the town refuse to get the vaccine.  When I tried to talk to her about it last week, she told me she did not want to talk about it.  My other Sister who is a doctor is going to try to send her an email to encourage her to get it.  She was going to call her up, but she decided it would be better if she did it in writing.  Hopefully she will change her mind in another month or so.

I know somebody who had a catering firm in Chicago, and she decided to shut it down because she was losing too much money.  A month after she shut it down, she came down with COVID.  She now has lost her sense of taste, which prohibits her from getting a lot of cooking positions..  

• Sad 1