Who uses a DESKTOP PC?

oldchap

Seems Mingle insist on a desktop - I get this on almost every survey. By the time I find one I can borrow the survey has finished

mingle.jpg

• Haha 1

Hmm, I usually get around that by using a keyboard with my Ipad. I say I have a desktop and just do the survey with my keyboard. At least I’m able to do that on Prolific. How do they know you’re not on a desktop? Do you use a phone? On some sites, if they ask what I’m using, I always say desktop.

Actually I almost always do surveys on a desktop.  I never do them on my smart phone, and I don't own a laptop or tablet.  I have problems with hand coordination on laptops, and I do much better with a larger keyboard.  I don't do a lot of texts on my cell phone either.  I use an ergonomic keyboard too, because it is much better for my hands.  I need a new keyboard though, because the Microsoft one I have has problems with keys sticking.  The one I have though Microsoft does not make it anymore though, and I have heard what they have now is not as good.  The only time I use a laptop is when I visit one of my sisters.  She got rid of her desktop, and only use a laptop.  My other sister still prefers a desktop, even though she also has a laptop and tablet.

I am not familiar with Mingle.  I noticed that they are reviewed on SP, but there have been no surveys in over a year.  It sounds like they are located in Cologne, and deal more with survey takers in Europe.

Edited by NFriday
Wanted to add something else.

When I worked for the census back in 2019, a lot of the training we had was done online, and there was one person in the group who only had an ipad, and he was told he could not use that while he was in the training period.  He was not happy.  I don't know if he went to the public library to use one of their computers, or if he was able to borrow a laptop from somebody.  Once we finished the training, and got ready to go out door to door, they furnished us with a Dell laptop which we had to carry with use while we went door to door, but we were told that we could only use it for official census business.  We could not check our email on it or google an address.

All I have ever used is a desk top PC. Grew up with them. If something needs to be replaced inside , no need to take it to a shop to have it done. 

I have heard that desktops last longer than lap tops, and are more reliable.  When my nine year old monitor died on me recently, I just went to Best Buy and bought a new monitor with a larger screen for $110.

I strongly prefer my laptop and if not that then it would be a desktop. If I'm up in the middle of the night and can't sleep I'll grab my tablet to try and hit a few daily goals. I only use a phone or tablet when necessary though. It seems like every time I do use them I get a survey where you have to type a bunch or click a million things and that always frustrating but even more frustrating (to me) without a mouse and keyboard.

• Like 1

I'd say more than half the time, they just mean desktop/tablet/phone, that they don't care if your "desktop" is actually a laptop? It runs the "desktop" version of sites by default (thankfully); I couldn't imagine only having a mobile OS and nothing else. I'd go crazy. 

I usually don't accept surveys that require a phone, unless they pay really well or I'm super bored. 

The dumbest are the ones from Quick Thoughts that ask you to be on a desktop site, even though Quick Thoughts could filter those surveys out and not give them to you because it's literally a mobile-only survey app (one of only a couple I bother with, because they pay well enough - but it's still super dumb when that happens. I like how much it pays, but I hate how buggy it is. >.>)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...