What's your experience with Data Sharing/Usage Access with Survey or Research apps/sites?

PsychoWriter

Hey guys.  

Just curious if any of you who belong to these panels out there have signed up for their "extra" programs that basically give them free access to your data?  I belong to numerous sites/apps and have received so many requests ranging usually $3-$5 a month (or at least the first month) is you will permit them "Usage Access" on your phone or download their Extension so it can essentially have access to your browsing history, data, contacts, etc.  I thought about opting into a few of them because I have nothing to hide anyway but I have to wonder if it's worth it.  

Also, I don't know about you guys but I've also seen a few offers out there hidden in survey panels that offer $50-$300 if you give them a portion of your google data.  I've seen some asking for 30 days and some as much as 6 months.  (TO BE CLEAR-this is where you perform a request through Google Takeout for all the data they have on your account, google then gathers and sends it to you a series of files based on your request that you can then save or export to review.)

I'm just wondering how you all feel about this.  I make a lot of money off surveys, panels, web interviews, product trials, etc  I do it all and I've learned those companies that do and don't work for me, but now it seems they all want you to sign up for these programs.  I don't mind giving my input and whatnot into surveys and voicing my opinions but I don't know how I feel about allowing Usage Access or downloading tracking apps.  Part of me doesn't care and would look for the highest bidder...and part of me is thinking that between my phone and computer -- that's everything, my life.  Is it worth it to hand someone access into your every action?  Does it really matter with as much as we already freely share?  

I want to know what you think about these offers and if any of you belong to any of the programs.  What are your thoughts or experiences with this?  Do you recommend any in particular over others?  What do you think?

• Like 1

I think that the vast majority of these sites that want your data are sketchy at the least, full blown scams at the worst. It’s not like they are gonna tell you what they’re doing with all that personal info you’re giving them. We all know many of these survey sites lie about everything and will screw you over in a New York minute. Why would anyone want to suddenly start giving them all your personal data? You don’t know what they’re doing with it or who else they will sell it too. Google is especially nasty with selling your personal data to whoever wants it. 

I especially think that if a site is offering you hundreds of dollars for your google data, that is an out and out scam. It would be very easy for someone to steal your identity this way. As someone who has been the victim of identity theft, that is very very costly in more ways than one. After my experience with identity theft, I would never ever do this. I think it’s a new way for survey sites to make even more money by selling your info to anyone they want to. It’s a total scam. I would not recommend doing this at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried to use these activity monitoring rewards. Some paid well (google Cross Media panel), some could never get off the ground (OpinionSquare), most were staffed by incompents (Mysoapbox, panelapp, Survey Junkie, nielsen, yougov), YouGov actually told me my account was created incorrectly, and they don't know how to fix it!

Another thing you should realize are is that you can't reliably compound these tracking/activity services. This is particularly true for the configurations that route your activity through a remote server, so that activity can be recorded. realize if that remote server drops anchor, so will your internet capacity.  Also realize these panels are tracking Y'all already, install privacy badger extension and you'll see. Many of these tracking services are not compatible with each other and can cause unexpected results or even inhibit panels you regularly visit and be accused of using a "proxy" or VPN by some. Of course every computer is different, so YMMV.

• Like 1