Article in the Washington Post about how nobody wants to work in warehouses anymore

NFriday

There was an article in the Washington Post that says that nobody wants to work in warehouses any more such as Amazon.  An employee of Amazon who prefers to remain anonymous states that half of the warehouse employees at Amazon quit after working there just one day.  They are on their feet all day, and they have to meet quotas.  I think they get paid $15 an hour starting out, although Amazon is offering to help them pay for college too.  There was another person that they interviewed for the article who works in another warehouse other than Amazon, and only makes $10 an hour, and he is seriously considering quitting because he is getting burned out, and that might be the guy who works 14 hours a day.

There are tons of warehouse jobs that companies can not fill right now, and it is going to be even worse when the holidays arrive.

• Thanks 1

Bus drivers too! In Austin, the local transit company, CrapMetro, has lost so many drivers that they had to cut back on the schedules, cut back so much that they decided to operate the buses free, ostensibly to save time boarding. The buses have had very low utilization since before COVID. The mostly ones that ride are bums and students, people with no money. I'm in both camps. In part no thanks to an institutionalized transit provider culture that is disconnected from the central Texas community. Govenor Abbott, probably thinking there were too many moochers in Texas, turned down the additional unemployment assistance from the Feds. I find my assistance on the side walk, change and in the street. That's what I call "road money", pennies so worn down they turn to zinc.

I just read in the Austin Awful, local newspaper, there's a shortage of garbage truck drivers. I though that was were old bus drivers went to finish out their professional driving careers, after they had it with CrapMetro management.

There is a shortage of school bus drivers too, because they are all required to get the vaccine, and so a lot of drivers are quitting because of that.  I just read about somebody that was high up at the FBI who just retired from there, and he is now a school bus driver.

• 6 months later...

My county used to be a textile and shoe manufacturing area. Thanks to outsourcing, we were left with nothing. They all had to close. Now the Commissioners and Chamber of Commerce decided they had a good deal going by building warehouses near the interstate. Yep. It happened. Great pay, too, from $20-$28/hour. So things going so well, they decided to welcome more warehouses to the area and already have "bites" on them moving here. Sadly, there could be too much of a good thing. We're running out of workers. So many got jobs in other counties and won't come back because of their loyalty to the company they're with now. So now what will they do? Real estate to woo new people to the county. Housing developments going up all over the place, replacing the farms, and prices from $200,000 to over $2 million. People born and raised here don't have that kind of money but the new people do. I don't like it. Roads are made for all this traffic mostly two lanes and new people don't follow speed limits or even the traffic laws.. County is being ruined but all the big guys rub their hands for $$$$$$$ to spend on everything but the people.