Changes to Opinion Outpost - are they spying on YOU?!

jellyfish

I recently got a survey from them indicating you could opt out of OTX surveys from them. Grateful for this, I opted out. But they haven't stopped coming, despite my contacting them 4 times about it.

I looked at my account today to see if I was still opted out (I am, but still got another OTX survey today), and saw something new under "Member Account". Under "Settings", it says "Advanced Cookie?". This wasn't there until recently. I looked at it further and saw they had already chosen "Yes" as my response to that without my consent or knowledge. I clicked "click to change" by it, and this is the explanation of it: "Are you willing to have online ad exposure tracked that you may then be surveyed about?"

WHOA NELLIE - I never gave them permission to track anything, yet "yes" was selected. I selected "no", but will they ignore that they way they've been ignoring my OTX opt-out preference? Anyone else outraged about this????

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jellyfish

• KBLover

• zeekers

• majax79

WHOA NELLIE - I never gave them permission to track anything, yet "yes" was selected. I selected "no", but will they ignore that they way they've been ignoring my OTX opt-out preference? Anyone else outraged about this????

Wow! I opted out of OTX & have not received any OTX surveys for months. :evil: But, thank you for your notice I had yes for tracking without my knowledge never explained or notified by Opinion Outpost. Sneaky. :evil: I just changed it to no but, your question is valid.

Now I wonder if other survey companies are tracking, many say no but can you believe them? Sometimes, after a survey I receive spam that relates to the survey & I never remember which survey company, or it may be coincidence.

I wrote an outraged email to them and have yet to receive a response. Truthfully, I do not trust them to honor our request not to be tracked. I wonder if it's possible to block cookies from that site via our browser settings.

Imagine all the people who have not seen this? I wouldn't have either if I hadn't been checking on that OTX thing.

I just can't believe any company would or even could do this without permission or notifying you at the least that they were doing this.

Thanks for letting me know.Did you know that you have to also opt out at mysurvey.com.I found out a couple of weeks ago and must have forgotten to notify people,sorry!Anyways to opt out you have to go to your profile page page located in upper left hand corner then scroll down to the bottom of the page and tell them you want to opt out of AdTracker here is what it looks like not exactly sure what this does but I thought all of you might be interested.

Active members are automatically enrolled in mysurvey.com AdTracker. Opt-out from participating, select this option and click submit.

What I went and read at Opinion Outpost about the advanced cookies setting

Opinion Outpost may also deploy advanced cookies. The intent of advanced cookie is for understanding patterns of online behavior for members of Opinion Outpost. An advanced cookie may be placed by Opinion Outpost in conjunction with a third party and it uses a key which enables certain online content relating clients' products and services to be associated with this key. If an Opinion Outpost Member views a page containing any content including the tag, the key will confirm that the Member has viewed the page containing this content. Certain Web pages or Web-based advertisements you view may be tracked, and in some cases, this tracking data may be combined with survey answers you provide. These key tags do not include any personal data. Members may opt out of advanced cookies placed by Opinion Outpost in conjunction with third parties by sending a request to us at [email protected] with 'opt out of advance cookie' in the title or body of the email. Important to note that we do not have access to, nor control over, third party cookies or how they may be used including the nature of the content with which those tags are included. Opting-out of the Opinion Outpost advanced cookie will not prevent Member's receipt of third party cookies. We have no access to, nor control over, third party cookies or how they are used. Your access to our Web sites will not be affected if you do not accept cookies placed by third parties.

What I went and read at Opinion Outpost about the advanced cookies setting

Opinion Outpost may also deploy advanced cookies. The intent of advanced cookie is for understanding patterns of online behavior for members of Opinion Outpost. An advanced cookie may be placed by Opinion Outpost in conjunction with a third party and it uses a key which enables certain online content relating clients' products and services to be associated with this key. If an Opinion Outpost Member views a page containing any content including the tag, the key will confirm that the Member has viewed the page containing this content. Certain Web pages or Web-based advertisements you view may be tracked, and in some cases, this tracking data may be combined with survey answers you provide. These key tags do not include any personal data. Members may opt out of advanced cookies placed by Opinion Outpost in conjunction with third parties by sending a request to us at [email protected] with 'opt out of advance cookie' in the title or body of the email. Important to note that we do not have access to, nor control over, third party cookies or how they may be used including the nature of the content with which those tags are included. Opting-out of the Opinion Outpost advanced cookie will not prevent Member's receipt of third party cookies. We have no access to, nor control over, third party cookies or how they are used. Your access to our Web sites will not be affected if you do not accept cookies placed by third parties.

Haha I was just reading that too & was going to post it. lol

This makes me very uncomfortable - and as I said before I don't trust them to honor our preference in this regard.

• 2 weeks later...

I think all of the survey companies are doing this now.I just checked my surveyhead and opinionplace accounts and they both had this type of thing turned on automatically.

From opinionplace.

Another common practice used today is the use of cookies with online ads. When a cookie is used in an advertisement it basically "marks" that you were shown an online ad, and sometimes it records how many times you've seen the ad. At Opinion Place we would use these cookies to help qualify you for surveys about those ads. No personally identifiable information is stored in these cookies, although we may use an identification code to help us email you invitations to these surveys if you have chosen to leave us an email address.

We would prefer to use an opt-in approach to these surveys, but due to the nature of cookies and online advertising no practical solution yet exists. If you would like to opt out of receiving these ad cookies you should know that you will not be eligible to complete any surveys about online advertisements. Our research approach requires scientific measurement of people who have and haven't viewed the ads. If you are opted out, we won't have that information to qualify you. Here is the link to opt out:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

That just creeps me out and now I'm super ticked off. If I want someone to know where I'm going I'll tell them, and this includes anywhere I may happen to go on the internet. I was never informed during any registrations about it, I wasn't given the choice to say yes or no. I do read the Terms of Agreements and Privcy Policies before signing up and do not recall this HUGE fact being mentioned. I'm not an attorney, so maybe it is stated somewhere in all the gobble-de-gook and I'm too dumb to comprehend it.

After reading everyone's response's I've been going through my list of registrations and checking my profiles. I won't get sh*t from any of them now, will I?

Shame on them.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

That just creeps me out and now I'm super ticked off. If I want someone to know where I'm going I'll tell them, and this includes anywhere I may happen to go on the internet. I was never informed during any registrations about it, I wasn't given the choice to say yes or no. I do read the Terms of Agreements and Privcy Policies before signing up and do not recall this HUGE fact being mentioned. I'm not an attorney, so maybe it is stated somewhere in all the gobble-de-gook and I'm too dumb to comprehend it.

After reading everyone's response's I've been going through my list of registrations and checking my profiles. I won't get sh*t from any of them now, will I?

Shame on them.

It's something they just started doing so don't be hard on yourself. To me, though, this is something you should have to opt-in to, NOT have them automatically opt you in without your consent or knowledge. I just happened to come across it - think of the people who don't know they are doing this!!

Jellyfish...you're absolutely right they should ask our permission. It's an invasion of one's privacy and I am a very private person. The humor of it all is that you weren't looking for it, you just happened to stumble upon it, catching them red handed. (lol) I don't know why they couldn't be honest and just ask, especially when it is them asking us to give HONEST opinions. Practice what you preach. (lol)

How did you find it? Kuddos to you for calling them out. :-)