Is it strange for a survey to ask for your full name and address? what potential problems could I experience by providing such information?

annynickname

So I make part of a very generous survey site (I have already received many gift cards from this survey panel)  however I suspect the reason I receive so many spam text messages has to do with the surveys I have taken however I don't care much about those texts... All I do is ignore them...I'm willing to receive such spam if in exchange I continue getting paid $2.00 for each survey... Now, sometimes surveys ask me for my full name and my address.. they claim they need this information in order to have a better picture of my demographics.. I suppose that by providing this information I could receive some receive unsolicited mail.. but are there any other potential problems I could experience by providing this information? for instance, identity theft? I suppose identity theft can only take place if I provided my social security number... I don't think it's such a big deal to provide this information since this is information which is already available on the internet.

Thank you for your time.

I always exit out of a survey that asks that info. They don't need it and surveys are supposed to be anonymous. All they need is zip code and state.

The only reason to give full name and addy is if they are going to send you a product test.

• Like 3

I usually decline to give it up for a regular survey. That's extra data, and they should pay much more, for it. Some are tricky, and wait until the end to ask for name & address, which is disingenuous, imo. If they demand it, and refuse to closeout the survey and pay me, then I'll do what I can to get through without providing the actual info, or tank it early on next time, and grab my consolation pennies.

Sometimes they get clever and ask for the 4 digits after your 5-digit zip code, which is the same thing as giving up your name and address.I don't mind doing it for product testing (obviously needed).

• Like 2

There are times I'm tempted to fix them good and give them a fake address. I simply don't care about repercussions. I've had much of my survey earnings stolen and to me, the ends justify the means. They are going to screw me, I will throw that right back in their faces. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 6:01 PM, somelady said:

I always exit out of a survey that asks that info. They don't need it and surveys are supposed to be anonymous. All they need is zip code and state.

The only reason to give full name and addy is if they are going to send you a product test.

I agree 100% !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience a sure fire way to get thrown out of a survey is to give them your name  & address.  It seems like a lot of time that is all they are interested in.  As soon as they get that they cut you loose.  May not always be the case but that is how it has worked out for me more often than not. 

• Like 3

In the UK the postcode gives location to part of a street (in mine 16 houses) so there’s no need for full address

I just close surveys that ask for it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/15/2022 at 10:51 AM, NevadaJones said:

Also get asked that information for certain political surveys so they can verify voter registration status I suppose.

I recently had a survey that  said that. I thought about how some were using voter info for bad purposes and I skipped it and didn't tell them. If they don't let you skip put 1 character in each box . Most of the time they let you finish the survey. The only time to give that info is for a product test. If they won't let you finish the survey unless you give them the info report them, it is a privacy violation.

• 2 months later...

I get asked that a lot, I provide the info & haven't had any repercussions with it, as already stated, "the info IS available on the net anyway. Just never give Soc Sec, DL, or mother's maiden name.

• Like 1

I generally am wary , but will give it if the survey seems OK and an adequate explanation for needing it given. I never give it at the start of one , though.

• Like 1