Gambling, lotteries, sweepstakes and other games of chance are not a reward, it's a perk

schludermann

I have had a longtime issue with panels that present gambling chances as rewards for completing surveys.  First since when is a gambling chance considered anything of value? Particularly as a surrogate for cash, credit or merchandise?  This issue is not about motivators in addition to the completion reward, it's the panels and other consumer participation that replaced the potentially tangible with intangible mystique of winning big. This burgeons on addiction reliance. Sure, I gamble in the real world, just going down the neighborhood street to go shopping, some win big, like COVID. I may also play the powerball, minimum ticket. Now there is an even more insidious aspect to this, allure of chance. It is the panels that require redemption of points, or other reward tracking system, for an entry into a sweepstakes. If you read the sweepstakes rules, there is always a convoluted process for a free entry. In this case the members are paying for the prize.  Meaning the members are financing the sweepstake. This one I'm going to dig into.

These panels relying on the mystique of gambling to motivate participation, either need to lower the claim threshold or hire a gamification consultant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• schludermann changed the title to Gambling, lotteries, sweepstakes and other games of chance are not a reward, it's a perk

Spot on! I don't consider a survey site or survey itself legit if it does this type of thing. To me, it's just a scam to get people to do surveys for free, so the survey site doesn't have to pay their panelists. And I always wonder if anyone really wins any of those contests. Nobody I know who does this ever wins. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perfect description of the now defunct VIP Voice. Your points were only able to be entered into sweeps. No direct redemptions for money , gift cards , or physical items. All too often , I would see the month's winners include several to one person. Highly unlikely. Over my 15+ years there , I did win one tangible prize (waffle maker) and several magazine subs. 

• Like 1

If they offer a chance ticket or some other type in addition to the basic reward for completing a survey or x number of surveys or other activity I see nothing wrong with it.

I do, however, agree that getting only tickets in some prize lottery or some other similar scheme for completely a survey is hogwash. It is like them double dipping with no gain for taking the survey.

One highly rated place offers you the chance to take such tickets in lieu of cash for completing a survey.  And if you check it out there is only one, yes, ONE prize given for the entire month for the entire population taking surveys.  IMO that is a total ripoff.

• Like 1