valued opinions - recurring message

elsielc

I will get this message from valued opinons, it pops up on every survey i take, then after a week or so, i can take surveys again, and then it pops up again, and of course no more surveys.

anyone else get this?

"Thank you very much for your interest in our surveys. Unfortunately you can’t participate in this study. Our records indicate that your ID has already been registered for this project and/or data inconsistencies have been identified regarding the profile data you’ve provided."

• Sad 1

I got this a lot early in my surveys adventures. You're being tracked, we're all being tracked by this amorphous, autonomous, consortium of panels. And the consortium doesn't want you double dipping. The message you have shared is from aggrating the tracking information within the consortium, converted into a fingerprint. Two ways that I know of are cookies and unique machine identifier. Cookies, if present for a browser, can be read by any site connected to by the specific browsers. Meaning they consume the information from cookies left by other Hansels.  Another way is to derive a fairly unique machine identity and assign it a value and share this value within the consortium. The consortium "fingerprints" you. This value is derived from information on your computer, what ever can be accessed. Go to privacy.net and select on the analyzer and you can create an "fingerprint", the web page will provide details on what is similar with the rest of the minions. If you want to see how deeply you're tracked, install privacy badger from the EFF. I did and some sites had over thirty active outbound tracking connections.

So what to do? Toss cookies, add blockers, use different networks, install browser extensions that alert or throttle the out bound connections based on rules. I used Security Badger to test just how dependent the panel consortium is reliant on tracking. I throttled out bound connections and the survey would not load. I step wise allowed connection requests to occur and the survey partially loaded a little bit more each time. Another tactic is to distribute your survey activity across several different browsers and use all the for mentioned restrictions. The consortium hates VPN and if you try to use it, they will send the Proxy Police or nix your account.

Another way this fingerprinting is used, is to restrict the offered survey opportunities based on data fingerprinting.

Perhaps you should just stop using this panel.

Lastly, data is valuable, so what is collected is sold, not to just advertisers and other marketers, but to Data Brokers.  Data brokers are another story.

• Like 1