Did I Overreact?

Njsurveyman

I was scheduled for an in person test session scheduled to last for 3 hrs. to be paid $250. 

However, when I received my confirmation email, it mentioned I would have to take a COVID test upon entering (fine with that), AND leave my wallet, ID, phone, and keys in separate "locker" outside the study area. I was NOT cool with this because I feel naked without those essential things on me at all times, especially if there is an emergency. I have been to plenty of studies that require phones be turned off or set to vibrate, but not cool leaving those items behind. Did I overrreact by cancelling this study or would some of you done the same? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Njsurveyman said:

I was scheduled for an in person test session scheduled to last for 3 hrs. to be paid $250. 

However, when I received my confirmation email, it mentioned I would have to take a COVID test upon entering (fine with that), AND leave my wallet, ID, phone, and keys in separate "locker" outside the study area. I was NOT cool with this because I feel naked without those essential things on me at all times, especially if there is an emergency. I have been to plenty of studies that require phones be turned off or set to vibrate, but not cool leaving those items behind. Did I overrreact by cancelling this study or would some of you done the same? 

I do not think you overreacted in the least

If you were not comfortable with this 'locker situation' you did what was best for you. To each his own!

I am glad you were given a heads-up prior to the test session!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Njsurveyman said:

I agree with Sandy. I don't think you overreacted. I would not be comfortable with something like this either. 

I would be uneasy about such a thing as well. same as undressing at radiology to put on a gown and having to leave clothes , wallet , keys , etc. in an unlocked cubicle.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your feedback. Yeah, I wasn't sure what they meant by "separate locker" outside the study area. I had no way of knowing if someone else would be holding the key or had access to it. Furthermore, it made ZERO sense why there would be any reason to leave your wallet and keys behind during a study. The whole thing sounded shady and it was for a company I was not familiar with located in a bad neighborhood (Brownsville, Brooklyn). Thank you all for the support. I feel better about cancelling now. It just seems much harder these days to get accepted for any type of focus group or study. Years ago, I would get invited to one at least twice per month. Now, hardly ever. It almost seems companies and brands just stopped caring about what consumers think. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you, especially what would you do in the event of an emergency? We (where I live in California) are experiencing quite an earthquake swarm...I have "To Go Bags" by the front door (including things for my pets!). Fugheddabout having my wallet (and such) locked up!

On 7/5/2022 at 5:10 PM, Njsurveyman said:

AND leave my wallet, ID, phone, and keys in separate "locker" outside the study area. I was NOT cool with this because I feel naked without those essential things on me at all times, especially if there is an emergency. I have been to plenty of studies that require phones be turned off or set to vibrate, but not cool leaving those items behind. Did I overrreact by cancelling this study or would some of you done the same? 

They sound like they're crazy!!!!!

I wouldn't agree to that.  I was at a mall one time and was asked to be a product tester and I did.  When I logged in to do the survey it didn't exist.  I called numbers and the whole thing.  No response.  I headed back to the mall and the mall security told me that there was no such person and and that company had never been there.  My daughter was with me, and she was my witness.  They led me through back hallways and it was like a maze.  I started wondering if Something else was going on.  I reported it to the authorities and never heard about it again. I had a weird feeling when I was going through the hallways, and I will never do something like that again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rosiesmom said:

I wouldn't agree to that.  I was at a mall one time and was asked to be a product tester and I did.  When I logged in to do the survey it didn't exist.  I called numbers and the whole thing.  No response.  I headed back to the mall and the mall security told me that there was no such person and and that company had never been there.  My daughter was with me, and she was my witness.  They led me through back hallways and it was like a maze.  I started wondering if Something else was going on.  I reported it to the authorities and never heard about it again. I had a weird feeling when I was going through the hallways, and I will never do something like that again.

THAT is truly SCARY! YIKES

Did this happen to you recently?

It seems like a mild inconvenience, but I personally wouldn't have had a problem with it. I understand why they wouldn't want people to have their phones with them; even if they asked people to shut them off, there's a chance that someone might keep theirs on and record confidential information during the test session.

On 7/28/2022 at 7:12 PM, Sandy21 said:

THAT is truly SCARY! YIKES

Did this happen to you recently?

About 4 years ago.  I keep wondering if it was even legit. Made me wonder.

Just now, rosiesmom said:

About 4 years ago.  I keep wondering if it was even legit. Made me wonder.

I don't much go to the mall since Covid but if/when I am approached  at a mall I doubt I'd take part. Your experience truly horrified me.

• Like 1