I hit the magic 65 and..........................

melbourne_yankee

I was screened out or didn't qualify for all but one survey over the past two days and the reason for that was probably because it was for a government department.

So what are others' experiences, if you have any, after hitting this magic number?

• Sad 1

I am approaching 65 and I did notice as I get older, I am less popular on the survey circuit.  Even though I will work for another 2 years, oh well.

• Sad 1

I lie about my age really, really big time. I was 79 a few days ago. But I always tell the dopes that I'm 37. Works all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They are looking for people that are going to get in line at 3:00am, to buy the latest iphone, and that is not people over the age of 65.  I think once you hit the age of 50 and tell them you do not have any kids at home, they lose interest in you, because you are not going to run out and buy the latest gadget.  This only helps people in the US, but I have found out that I am eligible for a lot of Medicare panels and surveys.  I have been a member of a Medicare panel for several years that I got through Clear Voice.  I don't hear from them as much, but I just got an email from them a few days ago, where they were looking for people to do a thirty minute zoom session with them, and they were going to give me a $30 Tango gift card, but when I clicked on the link to make an appointment, all of the slots were already full.  I have a couple of other communities I belong to right now too, where they pay me around $5-$8 a month.  Last night I was on Valued Opinions for an hour, and I was not eligible for any surveys.  I finally got one of those tv surveys, and I knew I would be eligible for it, but it only pays $.25, and it usually takes 20 minutes, and so I decided to pass on it, and log off.  Sometimes when I am on Valued Opinion, I make $10 in one hour though.

I do not lie about my age though.  Eventually they are going to figure out that you are not 37, and it is going to backfire.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, rosiesmom said:

I am approaching 65 and I did notice as I get older, I am less popular on the survey circuit.  Even though I will work for another 2 years, oh well.

Here in the magic land of Oz we  have a retirement age of 67 in order to get the what they call the Age Pension. It used to be 65, but the Labor government changed it to 67 when they were last in government for every person born after 1 January 1957.  There is no early retirement for the government pension here.

And given the huge amount of age discrimination in the workforce for people over 50 and even worse as you older, you better have some kind of plan in place in case you lose your job.

Unemployment payments from the government here is in many ways pathetic as they count all your income regardless of source and then reduce the amount of unemployment you get by 50 cents per dollar of income over a stinking small amount per fortnight. They also have other requirements such as the number of jobs you have to apply for and/or believe it or not a mutual obligations requirement:

In addition, those aged 55 and over can choose to fully meet their requirements through 30 hours per fortnight of approved combinations of paid and voluntary work.

And of course they will deduct any earnings over the limit by 50 cents per dollar  as well.

About the ONLY good thing about unemployment compensation here is that you can get it forever with no time limits as long as you meet the requirements.  At 67 you'll go on the Age Pension and don't have to do a thing.

As far as the Age Pension is concerned, it is not as good as USA Social Security in the amount that gets paid, but most people here in Australia only have to spend 10 years in country to qualify for it. There are no taxes directly taken from you pay the Age Pension either.

(However, if you leave the country and go a country that doesn't have a Social Security Treaty in place with Australia you lose all your Age Pension. And even if it does they reduce your Age Pension by a formula that takes into account how long you have lived in Australia divided by 35 years. And yes, the Labor government proposed changes in the number of years and it was implemented by the Liberal government when they came to power.  It used to be 25 years so a huge reduction in payment if you move overseas. So previously if you had 25 years in Australia there would be no reduction in the pension if you moved overseas. Now with 25 years you'd only get about 2/3rds of the amount, but wait there's more.  If you get the Age Pension at 67 you can't leave Australia for two years or you lose it all.!!!)

And even more...............what about other wage/pension income you make?

Yep, they do the same thing with your Age Pension.  Once you earn over a certain amount they deduct 25 cents per dollar for every dollar of income over that limit until you get zip.  They also have what they call deeming income.  They add up all your assets and then deem that they make a certain income and again deduct 25 cents per dollar from the Age Pension amount.your Age Pension for every dollar of income.

Fun and games right.....................

I just tried to do some surveys on Valued Opinion, and I was not eligible for any of them.  I am having problems cashing out any rewards there anyway.  It has my landline phone, and when I try to cash out for an Amazon GC, it sends the verification code to my landline phone, and I cannot understand it.  I just asked them to switch it over to my cell phone, but I do not know if they will get back to me.

The only survey company I have had good luck with lately is YouGov, but I don't get a lot of surveys with them.  Almost all of the surveys they send me though, I am eligible for.

19 hours ago, NFriday said:

I do not lie about my age though.  Eventually they are going to figure out that you are not 37, and it is going to backfire.

It won't backfire. They have no way of finding out that I am lying through my teeth. And "They" couldn't figure their way out of a paper bag!!!!!

I used to get several surveys a month from YouGov and then after YouGov Chat appeared, the other surveys all but dried up.  Think I gotten one a year for 2-3 years now.  I tried to long onto YouGov's site and they say on password is incorrect.  When I request an email to establish a new password, YouGov says it's been sent but nothing ever comes through.  I have just given up on them.  The still like to get you to answer ?'s but not by paying for it.

I get several surveys a month from YouGov.  Somebody here told me that if you occasionally do one of their polls for no points, you are more likely to get more surveys from them.  I did not know they even offered chat.  I have never tried contacting their customer service.  You might post on their Facebook page.

• Like 1

I had a problem getting a redemption from them (I posted about it) and that got resolved.

I still get a survey once in a while from them. Usually it is one of those brand surveys asking about various companies and your opinion of them.

Maybe every six weeks or so.  At that rate it will take me two years to get enough to cash out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 10:48 AM, sue123 said:

I used to get several surveys a month from YouGov and then after YouGov Chat appeared, the other surveys all but dried up.  Think I gotten one a year for 2-3 years now.  I tried to long onto YouGov's site and they say on password is incorrect.  When I request an email to establish a new password, YouGov says it's been sent but nothing ever comes through.  I have just given up on them.  The still like to get you to answer ?'s but not by paying for it.

Did you look in the spam folder?

I still get surveys from them at least once a week. If I don't answer they will send 2 or 3 more invites for the same survey. I signed up for chat but I stopped doing them because they don't pay. I think chat led to paid tasks bit I don't get many of those, I cashed out for about $14 and change in May. I'm up to $3.80 now.  I'm kinda getting tired of YouGov because it takes  a year or more to get $100. I won't cash out for less because it is worth less money for my hard work.