Anybody here shop at Walmart?

NFriday

I am not a big fan of Walmart, and I only go there is they are the only store that has in stock what I need, or if the item I need is way cheaper than anyone else.  I was in there last night to pick up this cholesterol supplement that I have started taking, and Walmart is by far the cheapest store, other than Amazon.  I also saw something else that I might be interested in if the price is right, but there was no shelf tag for it.  I thought I would just go to one of the price checkers in the store.  I looked all around the store, and I could not find any.  I finally went to the electronics department and asked if somebody could scan it for me.  I mentioned that I could not find any price checkers, and she told me they got rid of them.  They decided people could download their app and check the prices that way.  

When I got home, I decided to check and see if I could find out anything about this, and I found out that they got rid of the price checkers this last Spring, to save money, and because people were scanning items at the price checkers, and leaving the item there, instead of returning it.  After she scanned the item. and she told me how much it was, I decided I did not want it, and I returned it back to where I found it.  Is anybody here a big fan of Walmart?  I would never download their app.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of Walmart, and no, I wouldn't download their app either. I think it's ridiculous that they got rid of the price checkers. I've also been in the store looking for something I know they have but can't find, and every time a flag down an associate, they ask if I have the app, and tell me I can just check their app to see if it's in stock. Uh, no, that's your freakin' job. Then they look it up on their app. But just like self check lanes, they want you to do all the work the cashiers used to do. Like you, I only shop there if there's something cheaper than anywhere else. Some of their supplements, like tumeric/curcumin, krill oil, and CoQ10 are significantly cheaper than anywhere else. 

• Like 1

Target is more expensive, but I love shopping there.  They have lots of price checkers, and they actually have employees stop you to see if you need any help finding something.  I have an easier time finding a parking place at Target too.  Target also treats their employees much better too.  When Walmart hires you, they rarely give you enough hours to get benefits, and I just read about an employee that was running a temp., but they made her come in anyway.

• Like 2

Walmart has a very large selection of merchandise, which is good. BUT......the Walmart that I go to in Danbury, Connecticut, has a large number of employees there that do not speak English, or very little English. Bottom line: in that store, you've got to be able to find out where something is by yourself, as well as other product information.

• Sad 1

The last two times I interacted with one of the employees, they were both American.  The majority of the shoppers at the Walmart stores I go to in the Chicago area, are from the Philippines or from India 

Our closest Walmart has been expanding their already large store and nothing is where it was.  But the aisles are wider.  And the prices are up.  And not coming down as yet.  I can't find much of anything.  Most of the employees are African American and that is about it.  I have to shop there unless I inherit a load of money, I will have to continue to.  i did download their app, and I have had no issues with it.  I get my prescriptions there so it's an easy stop for me.  But I hate that I support them.

• Like 1

I am not a big fan or Wal-Mart but I do go there occasionally because some things are a little cheaper but if you need help you won't find anybody but I'm finding that very few stores these days have staff just walking around if you need help sure you can go to the service desk but most of the time I am no where near there so if I can't find it myself I just say the he'll with it and just do without.

I've found out that the employees at Target are much more helpful, even though the store in general is more expensive.  I also do the majority of my grocery shopping at either the farmer's market, or Jewel which is a local Chicago chain that is owned by Albertson's.  If I am looking for something at Jewel, I can often ask somebody stocking shelves, and they will tell me.  It is the same with Whole Foods.

One of the reasons I don't buy a lot at Walmart is because I can get it for free at Amazon's using one of my Amazon GC's.   I also usually get my fish oil at CVS, I use a 40% off coupon for it.  Walmart does not carry the brand I always buy.

No Walmarts here in the land of Oz. I've been to a Walmart in the USA and I think that was about 11 years ago.  Prices were a lot cheaper there than in Oz.

We do have one Costco in the downtown area of Melbourne, but it is too far away to drive from where we live.

Our grocery sector has two big players: Woolworths (Used to also be called Safeway and no relation to any stores in the USA) and Coles.  There is a third chain of stores supported by an outfit called IGA, but the stores are not anywhere near us.

We also have Aldi...........shopped there once and never went back.  Too many unknown brands with unknown quality. Again they are too far away from us to shop on a regular basis.

I can walk to the local Woolworths which is 900 meters from our house and the Coles is just another couple hundred meters from there.  We have another Coles that is located about 3 kilometers from us too and we often shop there as the parking is easier than trying to find a parking spot at the Woolworths in the village.  It is also a little bigger than the Coles nearest to us.

We have one big hardware store, Bunnings, which dominates the sector.  Then you have a few other smaller chains that are scattered around the place and often found in smaller areas where a Bunnings would be too big.

I used to get a kick when watching all those shows in the USA where they completely redo a house and put in new stuff.  The prices were so cheap for supplies, hardware, and labor that is seemed unreal.  Here in Oz everything like that costs a lot more and labor for the tradespeople is sky high.

Plumbers, electricians, and bricklayers can pull in well over A$100 an hour and probably even more now..  The call out fee before they even start work is something like $150 for an electrician. Painters are up there too.  In fact when we moved to Oz the biggest houses were owned by tradesmen.  The plumber a couple of houses down from us drives a Mercedes 63 AMG.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 11:55 AM, peach6 said:

I am not a big fan or Wal-Mart but I do go there occasionally because some things are a little cheaper but if you need help you won't find anybody but I'm finding that very few stores these days have staff just walking around if you need help sure you can go to the service desk but most of the time I am no where near there so if I can't find it myself I just say the he'll with it and just do without.

Peach we have a HyVee, which I think is based out of Iowa, and if I can't find something I can head to Customer Service and they will locate an aisle for me or have someone bring the product up to me.  Great customer service for my needs.  And you are correct about Walmart.  The only employees I see are the ones doing the shopping and they are on limited time to get the order filled, so I try not to bother them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Walmart shopper. The store is clean where I shop and I can usually find someone to help me. Target is next door (across the road and on the same side) of  Walmart but does not have a full grocery area and I find more expensive. My problem is Walmart  is 35  minutes from me so I  shop at my local grocery store or at Kwip Trip.

It is hard to find someone to help me at Walmart.  At Target people come up to me to see if I need any help.  I belong to Sams Club, and it is impossible to find anybody to help me too, unless I go to get tires or car batteries, and even then, I have to wait forever to get somebody to wait on me.