Systemic ageism bias of the qualifying questions of most surveys

PKMcK

I spent time in Aug'22 experimenting surveys on several survey sites, And I have observed a systemic ageism bias of the qualifying questions of most of the surveys I am offered

I'm a 70+ Senior proud of not being a "standard senior" per current societal grids. I may have retired at 70 from a 5 decades successful career - ("mandatory retirement" (sic) - I have not  "retired" from Life. On these survey sites, I prefer to define myself as a "home-based self-employed solopreneur, owner of a hosted website and  author of its contents".

Discriminating out Seniors from they surveys, these Survey panels looses valuable insights that would enrich the holistic perspectives of whatever is being surveyed.

I challenge these survey sites to reformulate their qualifying questions to be more inclusive of Seniors. Seniors are also consumers and user of everything that is being surveyed. Businesses offering theses, should be as attentive of their Senior customers as they are of the Millenials

Chiche !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I find that I am eligible for surveys that revolve around Medicare.  Yes, I am a consumer, but I don't buy a new smart phone, unless I have to, whereas 25 year olds buy one every couple of years.  zi never buy video games, and so a survey about that I would not be eligible for, and I don't have any children living with me.  I am on a fixed income, and so I am not going to buy a mega screen tv so I can watch the super bowl, and no I am not planning on buying a car in the next year, and so I am not eligible for car surveys, and there are a lot of them.  I don't go out to eat a lot either.  Shows like Dancing with the Stars, attract an older audience, and they have problems selling ads for the program, and that is why the show is only on once a week, instead of twice, like it used to be.

• Like 4

So many companies are only interested in younger people as they assume that they buy so much more in the way of consumer goods. Sad as it may be, they are primarily the target audience so older folks just don't qualify to take so many surveys.

The older American is not cherished and revered and the wisdom that comes with age is not respected as it is in other countries. Survey companies do themselves a real disservice by eliminating older Americans  from so many surveys. But unfortunately  that is the way it is.

• Like 5

I agree, I hate being dq'd as soon as I put my age in.  I am not quite 65, but my mailbox and email box is full of insurance companies trying to lure me in.  I think they would be interested in our opinion about changes and what works and what doesn't.  But no. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rosiesmom said:

I agree, I hate being dq'd as soon as I put my age in.  I am not quite 65, but my mailbox and email box is full of insurance companies trying to lure me in.  I think they would be interested in our opinion about changes and what works and what doesn't.  But no. 

I'm 66 and have been getting that same issue for a couple of years now. Pretty much expected it to happen.

• Like 2

I have been doing surveys for 6 years. I found out very soon that there is age discrimination on them. I deal with that by lying about my age really, really big time. I tell the idiots that I'm 37. I am actually 79. Works for me all the time!!!!!

• Like 4

@PKMcK you really struck a nerve with your post. I'm 58 and am experiencing the same thing. Well, at least maybe I can do some vehicle surveys, as I just bought a Chevy Trax SUV. I was the victim of a hit and run late August, and my car was a total loss. The insurance company cut me a check then gave me five whole days to find another vehicle. I can tell you all it's a PITA to find decent vehicles out there for under $20,000. Most of the auto places have little in inventory. Like many on here, I'm retired and on a fixed income. In addition, my husband is in a nursing home, which is covered by Medicaid, but as a community spouse I'm limited in how much income I'm allowed. The rest goes to the nursing home. So I don't have a lot of money to go around buying phones, TV's, etc. Kind of hard to travel with inflation making hotel rooms costs up in the stratosphere. I've dumped everyone except Prolific and Paid Viewpoint. All the others screw you over the moment they find out you're over 50.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, dawn_b_adams said:

@PKMcK you really struck a nerve with your post. I'm 58 and am experiencing the same thing. Well, at least maybe I can do some vehicle surveys, as I just bought a Chevy Trax SUV. I was the victim of a hit and run late August, and my car was a total loss. The insurance company cut me a check then gave me five whole days to find another vehicle. I can tell you all it's a PITA to find decent vehicles out there for under $20,000. Most of the auto places have little in inventory. Like many on here, I'm retired and on a fixed income. In addition, my husband is in a nursing home, which is covered by Medicaid, but as a community spouse I'm limited in how much income I'm allowed. The rest goes to the nursing home. So I don't have a lot of money to go around buying phones, TV's, etc. Kind of hard to travel with inflation making hotel rooms costs up in the stratosphere. I've dumped everyone except Prolific and Paid Viewpoint. All the others screw you over the moment they find out you're over 50.

Dawn,

If your interested in adding another survey site I think Crowdtap is pretty good 

I haven't had any problems with them and can usually cash out every other week

• Like 2

I am never eligible for any of the vehicle ones, because I don't plan on buying a vehicle in the near future.  I know cars are supposed to be hard to find.  Maybe you can find a market research company that is recruiting.  A lot of the studies though, they are looking for people who own high end vehicles.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NFriday said:

I am never eligible for any of the vehicle ones, because I don't plan on buying a vehicle in the near future.  I know cars are supposed to be hard to find.  Maybe you can find a market research company that is recruiting.  A lot of the studies though, they are looking for people who own high end vehicles.  

I don't think my Toyota Yaris hatchback exactly qualifies as "high end".

• Haha 4

I never qualify for those vehicle surveys I think they are looking for people who are buying luxury vehicles

I have a Ford Escape may not be luxury but I'm happy with it

• Like 2

It’s the same in the UK - as soon as I put my age (69) I know I’ll be screened out. Tried putting 37 & works every time

Obviously they’re not interest in our opinion - but as I wasted time completing my profile on each panel why bother sending invites?

• Like 1