Systemic ageism bias of the qualifying questions of most surveys

PKMcK

Yeah, you’re right. I started surveys in my early 50s and when i reached my early 60s, the opportunities were in decline.

this doesn't surprise me. Most of these surveys are for marketing. The type of marketing that has a target audience and needs numbers to prove it before committing more expensive resources. So, screen out the those that don’t meet the target and that potentiates the rests. They are warping the dostribution curve to suit their requirement. I suggest adding other activities that will have some meaningful results. Sweepstakes, class-action suits, picking up dropped change at drive throughs, intersections, and self checkout stands. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2022 at 8:09 PM, PKMcK said:

I spent time in Aug'22 experimenting surveys on several survey sites, And I have observed a systemic ageism bias of the qualifying questions of most of the surveys I am offered

I'm a 70+ Senior proud of not being a "standard senior" per current societal grids. I may have retired at 70 from a 5 decades successful career - ("mandatory retirement" (sic) - I have not  "retired" from Life. On these survey sites, I prefer to define myself as a "home-based self-employed solopreneur, owner of a hosted website and  author of its contents".

Discriminating out Seniors from they surveys, these Survey panels looses valuable insights that would enrich the holistic perspectives of whatever is being surveyed.

I challenge these survey sites to reformulate their qualifying questions to be more inclusive of Seniors. Seniors are also consumers and user of everything that is being surveyed. Businesses offering theses, should be as attentive of their Senior customers as they are of the Millenials

Chiche !

Excellent observation of a survey provider set of questions. I believe the aspect of certain survey providers set of questionnaires is the politics section are discriminatory too. It ought not matter if the participant serves the democrat, republican, or any other party in order to qualify for completing a survey and receiving the incentive award. Its the participant's time and energy that ought to be rewarded for even acknowledging the survey's website and participation in the surveys themselves. Political questions in a survey questionnaire are biased as well.

• Like 1

The majority of the surveys on YouGov are political surveys.  If somebody doing a survey is only looking for democrats, then they should be able to ask that question.  I just saw something on the news where they polled a bunch of people in Texas, and a majority of the people they polled were for the governor bussing all of the illegals to Democratic states.  I live in a suburb of Chicago, and our city was just asked if we would be willing to house some of the illegals that have been coming to Chicago.

• Like 2

"I suggest adding other activities that will have some meaningful results. Sweepstakes, class-action suits, picking up dropped change at drive throughs, intersections, and self checkout stands. :)"

Good luck with the "change" thing if you are in Australia.....................

People here still hoard cash - $50 and $100 bills, but you'll probably take a year or two to find any dropped change.  People just don't use it much  anymore and beside people here are "tightwads" - they rarely drop anything.

And if you do find anything of value or even buy it from an op shop (charity store that sells used things) the police will probably arrest you for fraud!!!

Can't remember the  exact details, but some person (woman) bought a suitcase from an op shop and paid for it with a credit card.  WHen she got home she "found" several thousand dollars in in it.  The cops arrested her for obtaining property by deceit or fraud.

If she had paid cash, they never would have found her.

• Like 1

In the US for a while, they discouraged people from paying with cash at the self checkout lane, because there was a shortage of change.  I rarely pay with cash when I use self checkout.  I was at a Starbucks a few weeks ago where they did not accept cash.  Aldi's has added self checkout lanes to their stores, and I don't think they allow you to pay with cash. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Oz, the only way for a business to not accept cash is to have it displayed.

And there is always a stink about businesses that ONLY accept cash.

The usual bs about how they are evading taxes, etc.

The only place like that I knew of was one Chinese restaurant in a local shopping mall. Haven't been there for years and years so don't even know if they are still in business.

• 2 weeks later...

I firmly believe that ageism is alive and well in surveys.  I'm 67 and so many, if they are allowing ages over 60, then cut off at 65.  Do they think our brains go tp mush at age 66?  I have the benefit of experience with age, do not jump on every trend and have the resources to spend where many of the sought after ages do not but never mind that, I'M TOO OLD.  If I knew what companies were financing these surveys, they would be immediately on my never buy again list.  You don't need me, I don't need you.  Works two ways.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2022 at 6:04 AM, kaseykernriver said:

ConnecticutMarc,

How do you get that past your profile, or do you use 37 on that as well?

I fudge my age by a few years, and I find that most places don't check. You just have to figure out when you would have been born at your "new" age because I think that when they also ask what year you were born, that's a veracity check. If I told my true age, I'd never get anywhere.