Cell Phone Call From Dynata Research!!

Sandy21

I got the strangest phone call from Dynata Research a few minutes ago. It was on my cell phone and I never share my cell phone number with anyone besides friends and I had to share it with Paidviewpoint. The young man asked for Gina Espinoza  and I said that that is not my name and how did he get this number. He did not answer my question but proceeded to ask me if I was a registered voter in the state of Nevada and I said I don't even live in Nevada. I again asked him how he got my cell phone number and he again did not answer me  and said, "No problem" and hung up!

I blocked the number but I don't think it was a fake number that showed up on my screen (even though it had my local area code) as I called back and got a recorded message saying that this was Dynata Research and someone may have called me looking for my opinion. They were not selling anything but someone may be calling again for my opinion. They then gave a toll free number to call (1-866) but I didn't pursue it any further.

Has this ever happened to anyone else, getting a call from Dynata Research? Do you think that Paidviewpoint might have shared my cell phone number? And then again it might be just random that I received this call but I doubt it. 

I truly hate Dynata and this call really upset me!! Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

If you are a member of any survey sites that are owned by Dynata, they probably have your phone number and email. I (was) a member of a few Dynata owned sites, and I'd get calls like this too. Then like you, I called the number back and got the same spiel. If they called me, it was almost always political surveys, and since they don't pay me for those, I decline to participate when they call me. It's very easy for a company to get your email and phone number. All kinds of other places that have nothing to do with surveys sell that information to everyone and their damn dog. If they call you again, demand, don't ask, that they remove your number from their call list and not call you again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, dawn_b_adams said:

If you are a member of any survey sites that are owned by Dynata, they probably have your phone number and email. I (was) a member of a few Dynata owned sites, and I'd get calls like this too. Then like you, I called the number back and got the same spiel. If they called me, it was almost always political surveys, and since they don't pay me for those, I decline to participate when they call me. It's very easy for a company to get your email and phone number. All kinds of other places that have nothing to do with surveys sell that information to everyone and their damn dog. If they call you again, demand, don't ask, that they remove your number from their call list and not call you again. 

I so very much appreciate your response.  Thank You!

I  will call the toll free number riow and will in no uncertain  terms demand that they remove my phone number from their list.

Again, thanks so very much for your post and your sage advice. 

• Like 1

I've also gotten at least one or two calls that indicated Dynata was calling, but I just ignored them. Now that I know they were likely political polls for no compensation, I shall continue to ignore them :grin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I get calls on my landline phone occasionally from people that want to do political surveys.  I used to do them occasionally.  I am kind of burned out with the election coming up right now, and now I usually decline them.  I sometimes pick up my landline, even though I don't recognize the phone number, because on occasion it is one of the market research companies, I am signed up with.  I have also been getting a lot of calls about Medicare lately, since we are in the enrolment period.

• Like 3

I exclusively use my landline for market research and never give out my cell phone number. I have a basic landline without long distance or caller ID so I screen all landline calls.

If Dynats had called on my landline I wouldn't be all that surprised nor would i have answered.. But calling on my cell phone was a bit of a shocker as I only give out that number to friends  and when it's an absolute  necessity. But I guess anyone or any company can find out anything if they try hard enough.

What I guess I will never figure out is why my cell phone number is associated with someone I never heard of. But I wouldn't put it past Dynata to pull that kind of scam.

Anyway, I thank you all for your responses. It is good to know I'm not the only one getting these  annoying Dynata  calls.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mnleona said:

I mentioned that in another message. I hung up on them and blocked them. It was a total surprise I got a call. 

Sorry I missed this post! Thanks for re-posting! 

On 10/3/2022 at 12:22 PM, peach6 said:

I received another call today did not pick up

Same here! I ignored it as well. They never give up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's funny because I got a call from Dynata (back on the east coast) this morning in relation to a survey I took earlier in the week.  It was about scheduling a focus group interview that I had filled out on an environmental issues survey and was selected to participate.  I think its about a $75 to $90 incentive.  

6 hours ago, Steve2021 said:

That's funny because I got a call from Dynata (back on the east coast) this morning in relation to a survey I took earlier in the week.  It was about scheduling a focus group interview that I had filled out on an environmental issues survey and was selected to participate.  I think its about a $75 to $90 incentive.  

W0w! This is indeed unique, something good about Dynata!

• Like 1

Isn't there some kind of place or government entity that you can register your mobile phone number so that you don't get these types of calls?

Here in Australia we can register our telephone numbers on such a register and if a company makes calls to that number they can be fined.

I don't recall all the details, but the only two exceptions may be charities and political calls from registered political parties.

The only problem with this is that it only applies to Australian based entities.  We still get the occasional spam call from overseas.

And by the way, we no longer have a landline and haven't had one for years.  It was too expensive for the number of calls we got/made.  The internet service provides us with a number we can use for VOIP calls, but we never use it. Mobile phones are ore than enough and Line allows a number of free phone calls as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, melbourne_yankee said:

Isn't there some kind of place or government entity that you can register your mobile phone number so that you don't get these types of calls?

Here in Australia we can register our telephone numbers on such a register and if a company makes calls to that number they can be fined.

Yes , in the US we have the Do Not Call Registry. However , companies that you deal with or have dealt with (at least recently) as well as certain others are still allowed to call. Do a search on "donotcall.gov" for the details.