Are any of these surveys worth it?

Jcisgod7

OK.  I just spent my first day of doing surveys.  I doubt very seriously if there will be a day two of doing these things.

I don't know if it is OK to ask this on this forum - but are any of these surveys worth it?  I don't hear anything good about any of them.  Correct me if I am wrong, but is the following an accurate generalization of all of the different ways to make money online (and this is EXCLUDING owning your own website or channel):

Spend FIVE hours of your day, in frustration and with exhausted eyes to maybe make 5 bucks total for your day's work?  I'd sooner be a 'Greeter' at my local Walmart and get paid eight bucks an hour.  In five hours, I would make 40 bucks.  EIGHT times more than the frustration of doing these surveys.  Your thoughts please.   Thank you.

• Confused 1

Unfortunately  surveys are not what they used to be. I now belong to very few sites and sometimes  you are thrown out of sites when you try to cash out. And often you finish a long survey and they cheat you by saying you don't qualify 

If you are just starting out. I'd forget it and get a job that actually pays.  I started doing surveys about  20 years ago because I actually  enjoyed them. Not anymore. 

Sad, but things have really  changed IMHO. I am sure others here feel differently but I am just giving you my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide

• Like 3

Hi-   How much you make on doing surveys depends a lot on your age, and if you have any children at home.  It also helps if you are Hispanic.  Most survey companies are looking for people in the 19–49-year-old age group, because those. are the people that are going to get in line at 3:00am, to buy the latest iphone, or some other hot item, such as Play Station 5.  They also prefer people who have children still living with them.  A 35-year-old Hispanic woman that has three kids at home, is going to eligible for a lot more surveys than somebody 65.  There are people that claim that they can support themselves just doing surveys, but I do not find that to be the case.  Some people lie about their age or ethnicity in order to get more surveys, but sooner or later you are going to get caught.   

I do surveys for the Amazon gift cards.  Currently I have $120 in my Amazon account thanks to the surveys I have done, and I have a $500 stereo system I paid for using my Amazon GC.  I don't spend 5 hours a day doing surveys though, and it is nowhere near my primary source of income.  I used to do more surveys than I do now.  Right now, I maybe am signed up with 5-6 survey companies.  You can make more money if you belong to a community such as communispace, but those are hard to get into.  Market research projects also pay way more than surveys do, but they are more common in larger cities.  I live in a suburb of Chicago, and there are lots of market research companies near where I live.  A lot of market research place started working remotely though at the beginning of the pandemic, and so people that live in more rural areas can still participate.  Some market research companies are now starting to do more live panels though.  I have found out that I am mostly eligible for the market research panels that involve Medicare. 

Just try doing surveys for a few hours in your spare time, and you will enjoy it more.  Do not try to do surveys all day.  You will get burned out.  Some survey companies are better than other ones too.  Read the reviews on Survey Police to find the best ones.  I hope this helps.   

• Like 4

You have to do a lot of out and out lying to make any money at all. As for me, I am 79, but I tell the dopes that I am 37. And I also tell them that I have children. In reality, I am not & have never been a parent, I also lie about my education. I say that I am a college graduate. I am actually a high school graduate. The only time that I tell the truth about myself is when I am asked my ethnicity......I am a white Protestant, and I tell them that.

I am perfectly happy making $500 a year from surveys, and maybe $200 from market research panels.  If you make over $600 from one survey company, it gets reported to the IRS.  I am not willing to lie so I can earn $2,000 or more a year.  You can get a job working for the US census that pays $20 an hour.  I worked for them for six weeks back in 2019.  When they contacted me again in 2020 about working for them, I was told that I would have to go door to door again, and I did not feel comfortable doing that.  They sent me an email a few months ago telling me that they were hiring again, and were paying $20 an hour, but I would still have to go door to door, and I decided to pass on it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NFriday said:

Hi-   How much you make on doing surveys depends a lot on your age, and if you have any children at home.  It also helps if you are Hispanic.  Most survey companies are looking for people in the 19–49-year-old age group, because those. are the people that are going to get in line at 3:00am, to buy the latest iphone, or some other hot item, such as Play Station 5.  They also prefer people who have children still living with them.  A 35-year-old Hispanic woman that has three kids at home, is going to eligible for a lot more surveys than somebody 65.  There are people that claim that they can support themselves just doing surveys, but I do not find that to be the case.  Some people lie about their age or ethnicity in order to get more surveys, but sooner or later you are going to get caught.   

I do surveys for the Amazon gift cards.  Currently I have $120 in my Amazon account thanks to the surveys I have done, and I have a $500 stereo system I paid for using my Amazon GC.  I don't spend 5 hours a day doing surveys though, and it is nowhere near my primary source of income.  I used to do more surveys than I do now.  Right now, I maybe am signed up with 5-6 survey companies.  You can make more money if you belong to a community such as communispace, but those are hard to get into.  Market research projects also pay way more than surveys do, but they are more common in larger cities.  I live in a suburb of Chicago, and there are lots of market research companies near where I live.  A lot of market research place started working remotely though at the beginning of the pandemic, and so people that live in more rural areas can still participate.  Some market research companies are now starting to do more live panels though.  I have found out that I am mostly eligible for the market research panels that involve Medicare. 

Just try doing surveys for a few hours in your spare time, and you will enjoy it more.  Do not try to do surveys all day.  You will get burned out.  Some survey companies are better than other ones too.  Read the reviews on Survey Police to find the best ones.  I hope this helps.   

Couldn't have said it better!

• Like 1

Been doing surveys over 20 years. Still with most of the companies. About the only ones I am no longer with are Pinecone and Harris as both dropped me after almost 15 years to freshen the panel. Being disabled and now retired , I do it as extra income , but rarely spend more than 2 - 2.5 hours a day. I never make more than $400 total per year and it either goes to Amazon or Paypal. I'm fine with that. I no longer fit many demographics as I am 66 , male , never married , no kids , retired , no TV , and do not smoke , drink , or do drugs.

• Like 1

"You can make more money if you belong to a community such as communispace, but those are hard to get into."

NFriday, you are so right about this. I belong to four such panels and they are all so thoroughly interesting and enjoyable.. Hope they last a long time as some close up after 6 months or  a year. One pays $20 a month, another $15 a month, another $10 a month, and the fourth $5 a month. I always cash out for Amazon gift certificates, although other rewards are offered. I greatly appreciate these incentives and use them wisely.

I don't remember how I got invited to join some of these  panels but two of them are banks I do business with. Maybe they reached out to me? I do remember my most recent membership was through Reckner and a survey I took for them about 4 or 5 months ago. 

My advice after doing these for 12 years is stick with the best ones. Prolific has studies from PhD students, mostly psychology. On a good day, I'll make $25-30 depending how many are available. I never wait for email invitations. I have it in my Favs and go there all day. The other good one is Paid Viewpoint. Once you hit a certain point, you get better paying surveys. I was once signed up with 30 companies many years ago. They all went under. I do a few other assorted ones like Pinecone here and there.

So that's my take...sign up with those 2 and if you stay on top of them, you could make $600-900 a month. I'm retired and have the time....if you work, it would be impossible but some of my friends that have a full time job do them at night. Also know that the weekends are slow with both of these companies. Good luck, sign up, give them a try and if it doesn't work for you, you can always quit.

• Like 2

Thank you all so much for the helpful replies.  I might try it again later.  I'm too tired and depressed to jack with all this stuff now.  Again, thank you all. 

PS:  My demographics:

* 58 yo male

* disabled

* retired

* Divorced

* Live in a 'military' town of about 25K - in the state of KS

* 2 teenage daughters that live w their mom

* 1 teenage daughter that is at college

* I taught for 25 years - therefore i have a college degree

I am assuming from what I have learned from this thread - my demo is probably of small demand (correct or incorrect?).  Therefore, less quality surveys which would result in more disappoint for me.

I think I should use my limited energy for completing and staying on top of my daily living activities.

Thanks again!  Good luck to all of u!

• Like 2

I am 84, white, female and live in a rural area so I get disqualifed all the time. I get e-gifts cards for family for birthdays. Look at the ones listed by SurveyPolice and try some. I always tell them my age and so forth.

• Like 2

JC...your demographics are fine for the 2 companies I mentioned. I have never been disqualified on a survey from them and am much older than you. These do NOT disqualify you, they are different than the other companies (I wonder what you signed up with?).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jcisgod7 said:

Thank you all so much for the helpful replies.  I might try it again later.  I'm too tired and depressed to jack with all this stuff now.  Again, thank you all. 

PS:  My demographics:

* 58 yo male

* disabled

* retired

* Divorced

* Live in a 'military' town of about 25K - in the state of KS

* 2 teenage daughters that live w their mom

* 1 teenage daughter that is at college

* I taught for 25 years - therefore i have a college degree

I am assuming from what I have learned from this thread - my demo is probably of small demand (correct or incorrect?).  Therefore, less quality surveys which would result in more disappoint for me.

I think I should use my limited energy for completing and staying on top of my daily living activities.

Thanks again!  Good luck to all of u!

Cricket gave you WONDERFUL advice but I am going to add my 2 cents worth.

Paidviewpoint is pretty good, one of the three panels I still belong to.  BUT I have been a member for about 4 months and I have not been able to get my trait score up to 9000 as surveys are just not offered to raise this score.(Apparently you get better paying surveys when you get a trait score of 9000) I am at 6500 at present. That being said I can cash out for $80 sent to Paypal whenever I want. BUT be careful. If you get above $600 with paypal you are reported to the IRS and you have to declare the $600 as income. I don't make all that much sent to Paypal, but I  received $400 from a medical class action suit settlement earlier this year so I have to be careful with Paypal.

There is a waiting list for Prolific and then I was finally invited after about 3 months of waiting I chose NOT to join. New members must send them a copy of their drivers license to prove who they are., send online.  For me, this is truly an invasion of privacy and was far too personal for me and I didn't want my info to possibly be out there on the web so I chose not to join. I KNOW I am over cautious but I am a 47 year old widow raising 3 kids on my own. So I feel my privacy must be protected.

Good luck to you! Hope you make a decision that is right for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cricket said:

My advice after doing these for 12 years is stick with the best ones. Prolific has studies from PhD students, mostly psychology. On a good day, I'll make $25-30 depending how many are available. I never wait for email invitations. I have it in my Favs and go there all day. The other good one is Paid Viewpoint. Once you hit a certain point, you get better paying surveys. I was once signed up with 30 companies many years ago. They all went under. I do a few other assorted ones like Pinecone here and there.

So that's my take...sign up with those 2 and if you stay on top of them, you could make $600-900 a month. I'm retired and have the time....if you work, it would be impossible but some of my friends that have a full time job do them at night. Also know that the weekends are slow with both of these companies. Good luck, sign up, give them a try and if it doesn't work for you, you can always quit.

I think you gave some wonderful advice. But please read my further comments below.

Hi Sandy, I remember that you were hesitant. When I joined, I didn't have to give a copy of anything and there was no waiting list. My friend joined a few weeks ago and the waiting list was fats, maybe the next day she was accepted. The thing is, they're in England so I don't worry about my privacy much. It seems to be a really upstanding company. They answer emails promptly. Luckily, I haven't had any reason to email them, just once and they were great. But I understand your concern and if it's going to make you nervous, go with that of course! I so far haven't gotten a statement from Paid Viewpoint for taxes, I guess I didn't hit the 600. Most of my earnings are from Prolific. I'd be OK with it though, I'd still come out ahead I imagine. I am my sole supporter and on social security so anything helps. I had one person laugh when I said I make 20 a day...well they may make $100 an hour but I don't! It's all relative. If this helps my bills, well that's what matters. I bless the day I read about surveys in AARP magazine. They didn't tell you what to do, we had to do out own research (which I did through this site!) and it worked out.