Mechanical Turk EU Tax Requirement?

Njsurveyman

I just signed into Mechanical Turk and saw a message on top of my account page, even though I am located in the US, stating that I need to update my Tax info with EU due to the DAC7 directive. Confused.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Mech Turk wants everyone's SS# and giving it to a foreign Government (European Union). I just received an email from them. They need this tax info by 2/28. I refuse to give them this info. Did anyone else get this email?

Hello,

The EU has recently implemented the DAC7 directiveat requires us to report Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) Workers’ taxable income. While this directive is administered by the EU, it applies to all Workers on Mechanical Turk.

Hello,

The EU has recently implemented the that requires us to report Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) Workers’ taxable income. While this directive is administered by the EU, it applies to all Workers on Mechanical Turk.

To comply with this directive, please complete a tax intervieby visiting the Mturk Worker website no later than February 28, 2023.

On the Mturk Worker website, you will notice a banner displayed on the page requesting your participation in a survey. If we do not have your tax information by February 28, 2023, you may be ineligible to continue to use your Mturk Worker account, which could also result in withheld payments.

You will be asked if you are registered to sell professional services on the MarketPlace or for AWS IQ, for the purposes of the survey the answer is ‘Yes’.

Please see below for Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know by reaching out to our customer 

Thank you,

Amazon Mechanical Turk Team
Mturk.com/contact-us

FAQ’s

Q: Who needs to complete this survey?
A: All Workers on Amazon Mechanical Turk.

Q: What does the process look like?
A: You will proceed to a form that requests tax identification information.

Q: h a screenshot and details of the error (with any personally identifiable information from the survey removed)

Q: How long does the process take?
A: It should require no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Q: What if I accidentally enter something incorrect?
A: At the conclusion of the survey you can click an option to retake the survey. If you have closed the survey window, you can click the link again and you will see the option to retake.

Q: What happens if my information cannot be verified?
A: If your information is correct you should receive verification. If you submitted your information incorrectly, you can retake the survey.

Q: Does this apply to me as someone outside of the EU?
A: Yes.

Q: My country isn’t included in the available countries drop-down during the tax interview questionnaire.
A: We’re working internally to ensure all countries are included, and you will be provided additional time to complete the interview. Please attempt the interview again in a few days’ time when your country may be added.

Also got the email, but I couldn't fill out the form even if I was inclined (which I'm not), as all the page does is buffer and not load. No great loss for me if I have to give up on mTurk, as it's a very, very small earner for me.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:14 PM, NevadaJones said:

Also got the email, but I couldn't fill out the form even if I was inclined (which I'm not), as all the page does is buffer and not load. No great loss for me if I have to give up on mTurk, as it's a very, very small earner for me.

True. Same here. I think I average about $2/month from them now due to lack of surveys. Many of their researchers moved to Prolific. It will be interesting to see if MTurk allows folks to continue doing surveys if they refuse to provide this info. 

• Like 1