Minimum payment

jennysue19

Should the equivalent of UK minimum wage be paid for the time UK survey takers spend doing surveys?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should the equivalent of UK minimum wage be paid for the time UK survey takers spend doing surveys?

• Yes
    • No

In the UK we have a national minimum wage. Yet the survey companies (Ciao is the worst) get away with paying us peanuts for the time we spend. If a survey is expected to take 30 minutes then the amount of payment should be proportional to the minimum wage effective at that point in time.

Having worked in the IT department of a major UK market research company I know that what we get as survey takers is a tiny proportion of what the client pays the company.

We may not be 'directly employed' by them but that isn't justification for cheating us out of a fair amount to get the data to provide their profit. Pinecone are currently the only company that I do surveys for that anywhere near meet the definition of fair pay.

That goes for the 'qualification time' too. I am sick of spending up to 10 minutes on a survey only to be 'terminated' with no reward.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't live in the UK, but agree with the premise. I always calculate the "per hour" rate of a survey before I even bother with trying to qualify.

If it's under the US minimum wage - I generally will just let it pass by.

I think it should be a requirement that all companies seeking the services of an individual - whether we are "independent contractors" or not, should be offered at least the per hour minimum wage.