focus groups

stormycloud

more money!!! I've tried several times with 20/20 and never get picked, i always make it through the interview and get the 'we'll call you in a few days" and then nothing

It's very hard to get in a Focus Group but once you do the pay is good.If you get the opportunity do so it's definitely worth it!I did read on 20/20 that they are now letting people do them every 3 to 6 months now instead of the once or twice a year.I have been doing survey's for 8 years and have never gotten in on a 20/20 research focus group but if given the chance you bet your booty I would!I know I have signed up to do many of them.If your a older man I think your chances are better. I have done several for C& R research they pay in a timely manner but they don't pay as much.Well put it this way 20/20 pays with a virtual Visa online gift card and C&r sends you a check.

If you can get in on a focus group in the city you live it's a great.I live in Austin and they have them here.They send you out to a place to do one and if it's full they still pay you just for showing up.I've done 2 in 8 years so it's not a consistent thing but I would do it again if asked!

I have done three focus studies and believe me they were well worth it. The first one was on the trucking industry. I had to go the Baltimore Observatory for it. It took about 2 hours but the time went really fast. I couldn't believe how quickly everthing went. The moderator was funny and very likeable. It paid $200.00 cash handed to all 8 of us at the end. We all couldn't believe we got paid this much money for simply picking out a new logo for Roadway Trucking. They were merging with Yellow Freight at the time. I also did one for 20/20 it was a IT focus study. You just had to login twice a day and answer 20 posted questions on the board for three days. It paid $150.00 mailed to me in a check. The trip part was you were able to see what the other people replied as well. Let's just say this one was very easy to complete lol. I am doing one now for truepanel.com and it's paying $100.00 for making a video of yourself and answering some questions they have for you. Oh yeah they send you the video recorder and it's yours to keep. I am just about done with the surveys. The focus studies can be hard to get in but well worth it.

how do you get into focus groups? Do they pick you or do you go looking for them? Thanks :o

You have to join them, then they'll send you a mini survey for pre-qualification. Then, they'll call you. I've been called twice, but it didn't go farther than that.

I'll tell you a little story about 20/20 research though.

So, last month, they were looking for people to do a candy research project where you'd have to film yourself eating it, etc... So, the interviewer guy calls me, asks me the questions, then says that they already filled, but they'd try to get me in. So, I'm on the phone for twenty minutes verifying stuff, then he tells me that. Well, he calls me again, and is all like, "I'm really sorry I have to ask this really silly question, but I'm required to...", and I'm like, "Okay, sure..."

Guy on phone: What are three creative things you can do with a brick?

Me: Use it as defense.

Guy on phone: *Laughing*

I didn't end up getting called for the survey, but you know, it's ALWAYS worth the try!

wow jessica,

thanks for the info. :roll: I don't know weather to think that story was weird of him or funny :lol: i guess both.

I guess you never know huh

thanks again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

In the last couple of months I have been given the opportunity to complete 2 focus groups. One of those is through GTM for which I have been given a Keurig Single cup coffee brewer, complete with 4 boxes of keurig coffee, and was told to order those 3 different times. The other I am not sure who it was through I dont remember but they sent me a pair of Rocky Insulated Mud boots along with a ion twin video camera. That one paid 50 bucks and I get to keep the boots and the camera. They sent me the right size boots but they slipped when I put them on so I listed those on ebay. So off the focus group I made about 200 by the time its all said and done. I have no clue what the GTM is paying or how many points it was for but I figure after it is all said and done the brewer outta be worth 50 or 60 bucks so pretty sweet deal.

I've done several over the past few years with 20/20, Focus Forward, Truepanel/Qualvu, Itracks/USAtalknow, Invoke Solutions (always through a survey panel). I've also done an in person mock jury in my city. I've also did the Facebook Dinner Panel that was paid by Fieldwork. Some of these have been 60 min - 2 hours online, and some of them have been 1-14 days on line, and I had one that went for an entire year. It just depend on the particular company and client that's doing the focus group / online bulletin, etc. A lot of it depends on demographics. I'm a business owner, and the majority of focus groups / online bulletins that I've been chosen for was targeted to small business owners in certain geographical locations. The only 3 that I can remember that weren't targeted towards small business owners are the mock jury, facebook dinner panel, and a Truepanel/Qualvu video cameral study on luxury SUVs. Truepanel/Qualvu studies are very unique because they send you a video camcorder/camera or a webcam (yours to keep) for you to record and upload your responses to their website. The camcorder/camera and webcams are very nice. I've been paid from $30 up to $300. $300 was for 14 days. The one year study I did with Itracks/USAtalknow paid every 3 months, and it was specifically for about 70-80 small business owners across the country ($50 per quarter and an additional $100 dollars at the ender of the year for a 75 min live online bulletin for a few people that were picked out of the entire group). Once again, a lot depends on demographics. All I can say is keep trying to qualify for them because it took me a long time to qualify for my first one, and it's still hard to qualify for some now even after I get a follow up call for answering the prescreener. Sometimes they need a certain amount of men, a certain amount of women, certain ages, people from certain areas and so forth. Just try to answer the prescreeners as quick as you can because they also do follow up calls on first come first serve basis. There were times when they've called me and left a message for me to call back. By the time I called back a day later or even hours later, they had already filled the study. It sucked everytime. But I was busy with work when they called.

• 7 years later...