A Picture?????

pointer

I have been doing survey's for quite a while but I came across a strange one on Survey Spot. This was not sent by e-mail. A $145.00 survey for a on line focus group. I thought , great hope I get chosen. Then it said for a major research company but didn't name it. Then they said that if chosen you would have to send in a picture of yourself. I thought I don't know aboout this, it doesn't sound quite right, and didn't go any further. Sure hope I made the right decision. $145.00 is alot of money. Any of you had an experience like this?

I actually got this same survey opportunity today, and was wondering the same thing.

I really took my time considering this because I felt uncomfortable about sending my picture in. Why would they need it? What would they use it for? Doesn't seem right to me.

Then I thought, well I'll just send them a pic of me as a child, after all they didn't say it had to be recent! LOL :wink: So I clicked "yes" that I would participate, then it took me to a screen saying they would have to call me and was I willing to give out my phone number. That's where I drew the line, as my number is unpublished and I didn't even know who I was giving it to.

I would also like to hear if anyone else has done this and what their experience with it was.

Jellyfish,

I just don't feel right sending a picture. Not worth 145.00 to me. If the company identified itself and it was "JD Power" ---I don't know. I just don't think one of the major companies is going to ask for a picture and I question the $145.00. That's a great deal of money to pay out.

please do be careful. However, if you are too careful you miss out on once in a lifetime opportunities which quite literally are not given to everyone and not everyone qualifies. I was asked recently to complete a survey for which I would receive a cheque for £50. I was asked to phone 6 insurance companies and get quotes and I had to give out loads of personal information. I thought this was quite normal, because if you were asking for a quote you would have to give this information out anyway. Then I had to fill in online questionnaires on my experiences. The company was reputable but quite new. I discussed it with my husband before I did it, and he was a little dubious, but it felt quite alright to me and I have yesterday received my cheque for £50 all above board and fair. I was really delighted. It will pay for some home improvements we are planning. My point is, really, that if you don't take a chance you will never know. I was not asked to send in a picture. This research which is "extra-curricular" so to speak, or a little different from the normal sort of surveys you would be sent by that company, is done like this because I think lots of survey companies get asked to do different stuff, and because they already have a panel they like to use existing people rather than recruit them off the street or by random phone calls where the person might put the phone down on someone who just calls them out of the blue - I know I would! I think you sometimes have to take a chance.

As for sending a picture of you as a child, thats no good as they will want adults to take part. They probably need a photo to ensure they get a good cross-section of people of different nationalities, perhaps, who knows?

I have done lots of "one-off" surveys like this and never yet been let down, on the contrary I find that the more you do, the more you are asked to do in the future.

Go on, don't be shy, go for it and let me know how you get on!!

LizzieAnn :D:D

I guess I'm in the same boat as many of you. I thought about the money but I also ran it by my husband and he felt that I should leave that offer alone. I certainly could use the $$$$ but then, I did not qualify. He's pretty conservative and I do try to go by his reaction.

I think Survey Spot should say the name of the reputable company to give us a little more piece of mind. Dr. Phil had just run a show on online predators and that did not sit well with me when they asked for a photo of my child!

I do hope our names are getting out there for the online focus groups, I really want to be a member of an online focus group because the rewards seem pretty lucrative.

So good to have this board to run by our vibes in life!

And thanks, Lizzie Ann for the input on keeping open to options as well.

teachell

I must admit erring on the side of caution is not a problem for me, and I generally rely on my down to earth husband too to give me his vibes on the matter. I agree with you, what would we do without the common sense and views of the surveypolice and all its participants!

I had already been the victim of an internet scam some years ago, so yes, I know where you are coming from, you have to be really careful. I think its the anonymous nature of the internet which is the main problem, but that can also be a boon at times.

Good luck with any you do, and here's to the ones with the bigger rewards!! :D

LizzieAnn

Pointer, I really do agree with you. And the more I think about it, the more I question why in the world they would want or need pictures of those participating in this. They could use them in any way once they have them in their posession.

They don't disclose what company this is for, so we have no idea who we are dealing with. They dangle this very generous reward over us w/o giving us info about the company involved. Just gives me a bad feeling.

LizzieAnn, you're probably right about them not accepting a child's picture. I probably would have found a pic of someone online and sent that instead. :wink: The point is moot now since I'm not going to do it anyway.

Although we could use that money desperately I still feel better about not going through with it. I just don't like it.

I am very grateful for this board and all its' knowledgable members! :D