POLL: Should GPT Referral Links be Allowed?

Administrator

Do you think users should be allowed to make posts listing their GPT referral links?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think users should be allowed to make posts listing their GPT referral links?

• No - It contributes to SPAM on the forum and will lower the quality of the SurveyPolice Forum
    • No - Have SurveyPolice sign up with these GPT sites and funnel all referral link revenue to them
    • Yes - I have no problems with it and would like to post my own referral links here!
    • Yes - Only if we set out some rules, laid out by SP forum users about how this can be done in such a way that SPAM does not become a problem

We've been receiving a lot of PM's regarding posting referral links and whether or not they should be allowed in certain instances. Currently, our rules are as follows:

DO NOT SPAM THE FORUM

DO NOT POST REFERRAL LINKS ON THE FORUM

DO NOT PM OTHER MEMBERS WITH SPAM OR REFERRAL LINKS

For survey panels, we do not allow users to post their referral links as we would rather have people click on ours; this is the only source of revenue for SurveyPolice so it is important to keep this the way it is.

That said, there are GPT sites and the like that we are not members of and that forum users especially make posts about in the "Other Internet Money Making Ideas" sub-forum. For the most part, we have been deleting referral links or topics which are solely posted to get other users to sign up for a website using another person's referral link. However, due to your PM's, we are reconsidering our policy and want to open this up to you, the SurveyPolice community, and let you decide.

So, here is the question: Do you think users should be allowed to make posts listing their GPT referral links?

Please submit your votes. Please note that you may only vote once.

Thank you for your feedback!

SurveyPolice admin

I think it is a slippery slope. I like the fact that this forum is a source of information and not a place for me to be inundated with different referral links. Additionally, I think it could cause more problems down the line - for example, if 5 people post referral links and only 2 of them get a lot of referrals, the other 3 members might get upset. Also, what is to stop someone from posting multiple links in multiple sections? Not to pick, but I think with any change in policy it must be considered that you, the admin, is only around sporadically to police the forum. By the time you are able to delete posts/threads, damage could already be done in/to the community.

I think Survey Police should make their own links. I also think it would be nice to have stickies that state a good way to "thank" members is to PM them for referral links. Members could have in their signature a list of the panels they belong to. I guess all I'm saying is that I think a compromise could be reached where members can share their links without posting them all over the place.

I would hate to see that junk all over this forum because then it would be just like all the other "crappy" forums out there. The successful forums don't allow that junk because 90% of those GPT sites close down and then open back up under another name. That way they can rob the members of their money. This happens every day in the GPT world.

I think it is a slippery slope. I like the fact that this forum is a source of information and not a place for me to be inundated with different referral links. Additionally, I think it could cause more problems down the line - for example, if 5 people post referral links and only 2 of them get a lot of referrals, the other 3 members might get upset. Also, what is to stop someone from posting multiple links in multiple sections? Not to pick, but I think with any change in policy it must be considered that you, the admin, is only around sporadically to police the forum. By the time you are able to delete posts/threads, damage could already be done in/to the community.

I think Survey Police should make their own links. I also think it would be nice to have stickies that state a good way to "thank" members is to PM them for referral links. Members could have in their signature a list of the panels they belong to. I guess all I'm saying is that I think a compromise could be reached where members can share their links without posting them all over the place.

That is what I was going to suggest.......to allow our referral links in our signature. I think that way it would be kept nice and neat and we wouldn't see the links all over the place and we could stop suggesting people pm us if they want to join. Well, with the exception for SuperPoints since you have to have an INVITE link/token.....maybe those go in the signature line too, but we just make a conscious effort to change them out once they are used or have expired, not sure.

I like the signature idea for sure though.

Hey there,

I am new to this forum but lurking for some time now. Most of my online money comes form paid surveys but I also doing some GPT and PTC stuff.

That's being said, I really like this forum to be very informative and free from posts to spam referral links. On the other side, some GPT sites are stable over years and they might be an interesting option for survey takers to increase their online income.

I am not sure, if the option that survey police itself signs up with all of these sites is a viable one. Often, you have to be active yourself at these sites to earn from your referrals. Not sure if this is feasible for the survey police owners. I would suggest option 1 or 4.

If survey police chooses option 4, I think everyone agrees that it has to be restricted to just one or two subforums so the remaining board would stay free from spam. I would also suggest a few more rules for this. First, just one thread per program. Second, the opening post of each program needs a link to an independent review at a trusted site like ptc-investigation.com. That way, survey police would keep the police to inform about programs instead of just advertising for them. And third, people violating these rules will get banned instantly.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers,

Pocket-Money

Edit: The signature is another nice options, but often people just post crap in each thread to get exposure for their signature.

I've been thinking about this and something else occurred to me.

None of this will matter if there aren't more moderators on the forum. Any solution that allows users to post their referral links will have potentially negative side effects - spammed links, spammed posts for signature exposure, etc.

Even the current rule to not post is a bit of a moot point since anyone can still post their link and it will take a few hours if not a day for the link to be removed.

I know I've said it before, but I just don't see how this forum can grow without more moderators available throughout the day. Rules are only as good as they can be realistically enforced.

Thanks everyone for your input and for getting this topic off the ground. 11 votes and almost 500 views is indeed puzzling!!!!

Signature links is not something I think will ever be allowed in the forum. As one user mentioned, people then start making junk posts just so that their referral links are everywhere. At least with a topic, referral links could be somewhat contained.

With regards to more moderators for the forum, are there any volunteers? PM me if you're interested.

SurveyPolice Admin

If they won't even take the time to vote, I don't think they will take the time to volunteer. I think we have a few members that would do a good job moderating, if they have the time.

Thanks everyone for your input and for getting this topic off the ground. 11 votes and almost 500 views is indeed puzzling!!!!

Signature links is not something I think will ever be allowed in the forum. As one user mentioned, people then start making junk posts just so that their referral links are everywhere. At least with a topic, referral links could be somewhat contained.

With regards to more moderators for the forum, are there any volunteers? PM me if you're interested.

SurveyPolice Admin

The problem with this is that whoever is first or last is going to be the one getting referrals. Someone could sign up for the forum and post their referral stuff and reap the reward without doing anything to contribute. A simple policy for spam would suffice - 1 warning then ban. I honestly do not think it would be a huge deal if there are moderators making their presence known - most real (not bot) people would know that they'd get more exposure from valid posts.

Please please PLEASE do not allow referrals here. This is supposed to be an OBJECTIVE place to discuss our OBJECTIVE opinions and experiences with different survey companies. If you allow referrals, all we'll be seeing is a bunch of people saying how WONDERFUL "x" survey site is and then they'll link their referral. You would be defeating the very purpose of this board.

I can tell you that if you do start allowing referrals here, I will no longer be a member of this board.

Hey jellyfish,

I disagree and it also looks like you misunderstood the op. Whatever surveypolice decides, posting referral links for survey sites won't be allowed at all. This is about the question, if a specific subsection of this forum will allow referral links. If the forum will get a spam problem it will be very local.

Before making any decision, we should probably discuss, what surveypolice wants to achieve with this. The op says, that surveypolice receives a lot of PM regarding this so it looks like users wants this. On the other side, there are just 4 votes in favor of referral links which let me suspect that most of the PMs are from one-time users who just wanted to place their referral link. I don't think surveypolice's first priority should be to please such users.

However, I think giving users the option to post referral links for GPT opportunities can increase the activity in this forum without reducing the quality. First of all, surveypolice therefore has to decide if this is what they want to achieve. If referral links are allowed in the GPT sections, the forum needs more moderators for sure and very clear rules regarding the links. Happy to make some suggestions regarding such rules, if it is of interest.

Cheers,

Xmas

What would be the point in allowing referral links?? A good portion of the survey sites are listed here. What is wrong with people researching what site they want to join and just sign up for it themselves? Don't make a mess of a good thing, please. This shouldn't even be a consideration for this site, in my opinion.

What would be the point in allowing referral links?? A good portion of the survey sites are listed here. What is wrong with people researching what site they want to join and just sign up for it themselves? Don't make a mess of a good thing, please. This shouldn't even be a consideration for this site, in my opinion.

This isn't about survey sites, it is about GPT sites. Things like mypoints, SuperPoints, etc. where you 'get paid to' do stuff like watch videos. Quite a few of the GPT sites have incentives when you invite a certain number of people, so it would be helpful for quite a few members.