National Consumer panel is a joke. It's funny though.

Jay000

So basically they send me this logging machine. I am supposed to scan barcodes of everything i purchase and then log it to their site via this scanner they sent me. Ok cool, but that is some nice extra work to do, you have to be rewarded at least somewhat right?

Well, here is how it works. They give me 1,000 points for signing up. Then i get 150 a week for 6months.

There are upgrades throughout. Like if i stay for years i get a whopping 350 a week.

So say i get the 350 a week(after all the logging and years of being a part) that is a yearly point total of 18,200. A year.

Sounds good right?

Well here is an example of what i can trade the points in for.

Flashlight 10,000 points

Martha Stewart Cook book 16,000 points

A telephone 61,000 points

a baby jogger 161,000 points

Here is the kicker though

a 32 inch tv 317,000 points

Keep in mind this catalog changes every year. So if i work for this panel for around 15 years i may be able to obtain a 15 year old tv.

How does anyone do this? Am i missing something? The lowest prize i found was a yoga dvd for 8,000 points.

So for a years worth of scanning and loggin all of my purchases, i can get a flashlight and a yoga dvd.

:lol:

• Like 1

it's like the tablet computer they have on Tellwut for 250,000 points.. it's around $625 in points to get it.. but it would take over 5 years to save up that much, at which time the tablet would be worth around $30.. but even better is that the exact tablet sells on amazon right now for $380! what person would spend $600 to have Tellwut send them a tablet (nevermind the 5 years from now paradox), rather than choose the $380 in amazon cards that are right next to that on the payout list! 250,000 points in amazon cards is $750! you could get 2 of those tablets on amazon for that much!

Screen_Hunter_01_Oct_05_20_35.gif

http://s16.postimage.org/tgkkuxuw3/Screen_Hunter_01_Oct_05_20_35.gif

but yeah i did ACP also, got the scanner and was going to go ahead with it, until i saw that you can't just scan in what you buy, but have to enter in the price as well... and then i saw their prize list.. so needless to say i sent it back.

it's like the tablet computer they have on tellwut for 250,000 points.. it's around $625 in points to get it.. but it would take over 5 years to save up that much, at which time the tablet would be worth around $30.. but even better is that the exact tablet sells on amazon right now for $380! what person would spend $600 to have tellwut send them a tablet (nevermind the 5 years from now paradox), rather than choose the $380 in amazon cards that are right next to that on the payout list!

Screen_Hunter_01_Oct_05_20_35.gif

http://s16.postimage.org/tgkkuxuw3/Screen_Hunter_01_Oct_05_20_35.gif

but yeah i did ACP also, got the scanner and was going to go ahead with it, until i saw that you can't just scan in what you buy, but have to enter in the price as well... and then i saw their prize list.. so needless to say i sent it back.

DITTO I put it right back in the box and sent it back without my blessings. :twisted:

• Like 1

I mean i understand being cheap but man.

They have to desire people that cannot do basic math.......but then you need to be able to do basic math to enter prices. :|

Just baffles my mind that anyone wastes their time doing this and helps a company profit while you basically do work for free.

• Like 1

While I know nothing about this company and their policies except what you have posted here. I have to agree with you 100% jay000. Why would anyone bother with this unless they just don't mind not being paid for their time. I wouldn't continue with a company like this.

• Like 1

I have been a member with NCP for almost 3 years now and personally I think it is the most simplest and easiest thing to do. I take my scanner when I go shopping with me almost all the time. Depending on the store you might have to enter the price of the product, some stores you don't have to. I go to Country Market a lot and NCP dosen't require you to enter prices for that store. Basically you point it at the barcode, scans and enter the price, so basically about 10 seconds per item. So your looking at with the scanner an extra 2-5 minutes added on to your shopping time, depending on how much you have to get and if you have to enter the prices. Then when your done shopping you put in the total price you pay. I found out that if you don't take scanner with you and do it when you get home it takes 10 times longer!

They also have several surveys a month to do which you get anywhere from 150 - 500 points, so it adds up with those. Plus the survey's are only like 2-5 minutes tops, I have never had one go over 5 minutes! I cashed out about 3 months ago for a Video Camera for 50,000 points, between survey and scanning points, that I get 235 per week right know, I am back up to almost 8,000 in three months! Yes the points are rather high, but your really not doing much other than scanning something while your shopping, something everyone of use has to do any ways. So I figured I might as well be earning Free Stuff doing something I have to do anyways! 8)

Personally I think it is one of the most eaeist and simple things to do, to earn stuff. But that is just my Opinion! 8)

I recently quit them.Everything in their catalog I either owned or could buy for less then what they were offering it at on their site.Over the 8 years I was there I got a nice Guess watch,kitchen island (yes a island)worth about $200,Cuisinart coffee maker and interlock containers plus a $25 I tune gc.I probably got other stuff but cant remember what it's just that it use to be nicer stuff for a better point value.I called and talked to someone over at the company to tell them I quit and they asked why I was quitting?I said to much work for so little pay and he said "Yeah I know what you mean" or something along those lines.So basically to me that meant they could care less and or value me as a member. Go look up the value of each item offered and compare it to their point value they'll let you know what your time is worth.Plus when I went to Amazon to see the ratings on these items they didn't get high marks.However you do know that this is the same company who owns Pinecone?So they arent all that bad,it's just that the economy has made them have to cut back.I just wont allow them to do it at my expense and I dont want to work that hard or long for what they are offering.

• Like 1

The problem with waiting that long is that the catalog is pretty much worthless to a new consumer. Plus who even knows if they will even be in business 5 years down the line.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Oh, I am so glad I came here and read this!!!! :shock: Just received an invite to that panel, and guess I won't be doing this. I know to ALWAYS look for reviews first, and I am thankful you all posted here; I spend enough time doing surveys, etc, as it is. :mrgreen:

• Like 1

i thought we would just have to scan the barcodes.. as soon as i figured out i'd have to enter prices manually as well i sent the thing back.. it's not worth it for the types of prizes anyhow.

• Like 1

I joined a few months ago an figured I'd have 2000 points by now. I have 6000. It adds up really fast because of the REALLY quick surveys (3 questions) and little extras. I honestly thought it wouldn't be worth it, but I figure that after about 18 months, I can get something really cool. I would do it. It actually ends up paying better than a lot of survey sites for the amount of time it takes.

I did it for over 5 years.It was a lot of work for items I could buy myself for cheaper then doing the scanning and all the surveys.When I quit the operator asked why and I said to much work for so little reward.His response "I understand". Didn't even try to have me stay on.So if they don't care to keep me why should I care to do it.When I first started it was more rewarding they have gone down on prize values and how much they give in points.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I am SO frustrated with these people right now. 
I was so excited and eager to be a part of something that I thought was going to be so fun and rewarding. I got the device and that is where everything went down hill. From the moment I got the scanner I got e-mails saying that I was not participating. I got links in my e-mails to different surveys that they wanted me to take. I took the surveys and got more e-mails about how I was not participating. I kept taking the surveys and trying to participate and got ANOTHER e-mail about how I needed to participate or return their equipment, so I said alright, fine, send me a new box (the one that the equipment came to me in looks awful and is ripped, torn, and damaged) and a return shipping label. Never heard back from them. Never got what I requested. A little while later I get another e-mail saying that I need to return their equipment or they will be turning me over to a collection agency since I was not cooperating. This time I send three requests for a new box and three requests for a return shipping label as well as two e-mails trying to let them know that I am doing everything in my power to return their equipment. Did any of the six requests work? Apparently not. Did I get responses to any of my e-mails? NO. Not a word. Not any kind of response... until today. Today, I go to my mail box and what do I find in there? A letter from a collection agency saying that they are contacting me on behalf of the National Consumer Panel due to my "lack of participation and interest" in the program. It also says, "Your failure to respond to the numerous inquires (Yes, it says "inquires") leaves us little choice but to send you this letter." MY failure to respond? NUMEROUS "inquires"? No. False. You are mistaken. So, even though it is 9:15 on a Saturday night, I called them instantly and left a message. 
This whole ordeal has been absolutely absurd and a huge pain in my neck. I wish that I had never gotten involved with this. I am sure that there are people who see things differently and find great benefit and reward through this program, but I am definitely NOT one of them. 

On 10/5/2012 at 7:45 PM, 1957horses said:

DITTO I put it right back in the box and sent it back without my blessings. :twisted:

I still have the scanner. I would have sent it back but they wouldn't send me a return label that didn't require me going to the shipping place to send it back. it's been year and years, I guess they gave up trying to get it back.