MTurk

Nancy2

hold on, the registration confirm linked me to Amazon Payment and asked me for Social Security Number :|

Is it normal?

Yes. There is another thread that addresses this, but essentially mTurk is a GPT (get paid to) site that is attached to amazon.com. You provide your SSN because once you reach a certain payment amount, you AND AMAZON, has to report it to the IRS and it just makes more sense to get that up front than to just block your account once you reach that point until you provide the information amazon needs.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nancy2

• idylatoo

• Kafei-Nation

• Anh-Hoang

so it's safe ^^I don't know IRS meaning though :D

I don't know much about Amazon Payment but it looks like Paypal somehow

The IRS is the government that collects taxes on your earnings. Any amount you make in one year from one place $599.00 and under they don't tax you. Once you hit $600.00 you have to pay a tax on it. Put it is pretty rear to make that on most sites. There are exceptions, like some here are just at $599.00 on OO so they stopped doing their surveys till the new year........... :wink:

so it's safe ^^I don't know IRS meaning though :D

I don't know much about Amazon Payment but it looks like Paypal somehow

The IRS is the government that collects taxes on your earnings. Any amount you make in one year from one place $599.00 and under they don't tax you. Once you hit $600.00 you have to pay a tax on it. Put it is pretty rear to make that on most sites. There are exceptions, like some here are just at $599.00 on OO so they stopped doing their surveys till the new year........... :wink:

This isn't the case. Once you reach the minimum income threshold for reporting your taxes you must claim ALL your survey earnings. The $600 threshold is for the businesses - they have to send you a 1099 and report the payout to their taxes. The reason people stop at $600 is that there is no paper trail (theoretically) until that point, BUT, if you get audited I'm sure they'd want to know where the money came from for purchases, etc.

Legally, if you're paying taxes you MUST report ALL income.

You are absolutely right idylatoo, I was just explaining why some sites wanted peoples SS number up front................ :?

You stated that "Any amount you make in one year from one place $599.00 and under they don't tax you" and that is what I was referring to and correcting.

You are absolutely right idylatoo, I was just explaining why some sites wanted peoples SS number up front................ :?

You stated that "Any amount you make in one year from one place $599.00 and under they don't tax you" and that is what I was referring to and correcting.

O OK GOTHYA........... :)

Amazon Payments is the only way to get cash withdrawals for the money you earn on AMT. If you have ever sold items on Amazon, it is used there also. Cash withdrawals are only for US residents. Residents of India can get paper checks in INR and everyone else can get gift cards to spend on the US flavor of Amazon only (none of the versions of Amazon in other countries).

You don’t necessarily have to spend the money on Amazon; a few other merchants accept Amazon Payments:

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/p ... ic&cat=all

New AMT accounts have been limited to the US only for the past several months. No one from Amazon has ever addressed this and it is not known whether it is short term, long term or permanent.

• 9 months later...

Took 2 month or so. The site is really confusing, so you have to learn what to do and play with it for a while. I do the survey ones and they add about 50 cents more or less for each one i do. It was not easy to get $10 so i am not totally endorsing it. If you sign up (they need SSN), type in the keyword "survey" and click "the ones you qualify for". It starts off slow, but once you get the hang of it, its ok. I started off getting the 2 cent jobs, and then moved to higher ones.

Online jobs in which the survey and form filling jobs are having lot of importance.These jobs are very easy to work.There are lot of article writing,blog writing jobs are also there.

• 10 months later...

MTurk is the most boring site I've been on. I was registered for a couple of months and I only got jobs leaving comments on blogs. I gave up pretty quickly

• 1 month later...

Hi - I'm brand new here, and am a little discouraged when I read the reviews about the various survey sites, and how they pay you slowly or not at all. Tho I suspect that like most online experiences, Your Mileage May Vary.

Anyway, what I have been doing for about 4 months now is mturk on Amazon. I do a lot of surveys, because they pay much better than most of the tasks, unless you're a good, fast typist. If you can do transcriptions from audio files, you can actually make money there. Alas, not my strong suit.

Anyway, about the surveys. Most of them don't pay a lot - maybe .25 or .50 on average. But once your survey is accepted, usually within a couple of days, you're credited immediately to your account. Most of them are academic surveys, so you're helping some student somewhere get a grade or a degree. Occasionally, they pay bonuses. I occasionally don't qualify, based on my demographic or whatever, but when I'm accepted, I spend maybe 20 minutes. The survey may be rated at 60 minutes, but typically doesn't take that long to finish. And you don't want the time allotted to be too short; there's nothing more frustrating than having a task time out before you're finished. No payment, and you can't retake it.

Yes,most of the HITs. or tasks, require Qualification. Some of these you can get by just requesting them. Others you actually need to test for. Or you need a minimum of 500 or 1,000 completed Hits, and a 90% or better acceptance rate. I started out in May, and have done a lot of the cheapie little tasks to build up my Completed Hits count (now over 2,000), and my accuracy percentage (just under 99%). The first week I was on, I had 3 rejected Hits, and that hurt my average, until I had several hundred Hits to dilute the effect of the rejections. If you're unsure you're doing a task correctly, you can always return it; no harm, no foul. I mostly work when I'm in front of the TV, so at least I'm getting a little productivity out of the time.

About payment: you only have to meet a 1-time $10 minimum to get your payments transferred to PayPal or your bank. This is done through Amazon, and I trust their security as much as anybody else online. It is slow going. I typically spend at least 2 hours a day, and make about $70 a month. But there is plenty of work there - either surveys, classifying photos, including Adult, which goes from pretty tame to utterly gross, copying info from store receipts, researching websites, software testing - you name it. I'm not currently on track to meet my goal of $2.74 in earnings per day, which is what you need to make to total $1,000 in a year. But that's due to my lack of application, not lack of opportunity on mturk.

I'm going to crunch a few numbers, which I need to do anyway, and post some stats on how much I've made doing various tasks. Meanwhile, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Great site here - glad I found it!